Acura Legend Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
rquest77, I don't know where in Maryland you are but there is a shop in Fairfax , Va (Notherm Va) that can repair your cluster.

Name: Professional Auto Repair

Number: 703 / 591-3155

Address: 3180 F-3 Draper Drive
Fairfax, Va.

They are off Rt 50.

You can also try: Safety Check Speedometer Co 1232 Dorsey Rd, Hanover, MD 21076 Phone: (410) 519-6979

Good Luck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
All I gotta say is trust me, you have to REALLY screw with the needles to mess them up. I installed my and was yanking pulling, moving, EVERYTHING to those poor needles, and if the needles are still there, I dont think you messed them up enough to do that. I would check all connections. THe biggest thing I can think of is make sure that the indiglos are TIGHT against the back. Use strong double tape. Otherwise this bulge just enough to hold the needles and stop them from moving right.

Good luck.

-Ryan

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
wow...i started this thread quite a while ago, and i didn't expect it to come back up to the top again haha

that was about a month ago, since then, i realized the problem wasn't with my needles, it was just that the gauges were too thick and curving outward, pressing against my tachometer needle. hehe i fixed it so no problems here............:D

....................until the transformer broke and failed to put any power into the gauges about 2 weeks ago, rendering my gauges useless. now i have to go buy another transformer. piece of crap procarparts.com merchandise :mad:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
what do you need to know?

start off by saying what step you're at. if not, i'm gonna assume that you've never even opened up your dash and that gauges are still sitting in the box.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ALRIGHTTTTTTTTY THEN........

phew. from the very beginning, huh?

*cracks knuckles*

OKAY THEN.
first of all, you're going to need 3 things

a good reliable phillips screwdriver (make sure its a big one, small ones are crap and just make your life harder)

a good flathead screwdriver

a good bright flashlight (it gets dark in there).

Since you happen to have the exact same car I do (1994 L Sedan), there should be no problem in explaning. Get in the driver seat and make sure you adjust the seat allllllll the way back and tilt your steering wheel all the way in and up. this will ensure you plenty of working space.

1. The first step is to remove the lower dash. It's being held in by 3 screws. The first one is right below your hood-release switch, so turn that flashlight on and start looking. The second screw is located behind the accessory panel (that brown useless piece of plastic next to your steering wheel where the TCS should be). Pry open this panel with your flathead and shine your light inside. You should see one, single screw and nothing else. Take this screw out. The third and final screw is located all the way to the right of the steering wheel, underneath it (around where your gas pedal is). Removal of this screw isn't completely necessary, as it will make it easier to put the dash back on later. I didn't bother taking this one out, but you can if you want.

2. Disconnect the lower dash now and let it rest on the floor of the car if you didn't remove the 3rd screw (it should be still connected by that 3rd screw) or just take it completely out of the car if you took this screw out. Look at where your instrument cluster is attached to the dash. There should be 2 screws (possibly 3, I don't remember) connecting the outer frame of the cluster. Take these out and remove the frame (that is, the plastic thingy that has your dimmer and sunroof buttons on it). You will need to disconnect some wires that are attached to it.

3. Now that you've removed all the annoying stuff, you can finally take out the actual cluster. I suggest you now move the steering wheel all the way down and all the way towards you to give you more working room. Also, adjust your seat towards the front of the car. Shine your light to the left side and right side of the cluster. There should be 2 screws on each side holding it in place (upper and lower left, upper and lower right). Take these out.

4. There's now nothing holding your cluster in (except wires). Pull it out, but do it slowly. It's a real snug fit. I suggest that you first pull the top towards you and then pull out the right side. Disconnect the wires attached to the cluster here. Next, pull the top towards you some more and disconnect the wire attached the cluster in center-back, towards the top. Finally, pull the left side out towards you and disconncet the wires attached to the left. All in all, you should have pulled out 4 wires from the back. If this number is wrong, whatever. Just make sure you pull them all out.

5. Now that you pulled out the wires too, keeping pulling the cluster towards you. Make sure the its facing down, so the top of it is closer to you than the bottom, and slowly pull out a little bit on the left, then on the right, then more on the left, then more on the right etc etc until you can pop the whole thing out.

6. Once you got the cluster out, take it somewhere bright and lay it on a table. There are a bunch of screws, but don't bother unscrewing any of them b/c you don't need to in order to open it up. Instead, there are a bunch of clips (black colored) that hold the plastic cover to the cluster. Just press each one of these in until you get them all, and then lift off the plastic cover. NOTE: The plastic cover does NOT come completely off; the top will still be connected by a wire that you can't disconnect. Just flip it over and lay it on the table, out of your way.

7. Go get your gauges and open them up. Put each one on over your stock gauges, one at a time. I don't know any other way to explain how to put them on other than BE DAMN CAREFUL. Those needles can snap very easily if you don't do it slowly. A way I've found that makes it easy to put them on is to fold it like a taco shell, and slide the needle through the hole. If you can, use double-sided tape on the back of each gauge to insure it sticks.

8. Close up the plastic cover, put all those clips back in. Make sure all the wires connected to the gauges are all sticking out of the cluster (it might be a little harder to close because of that).

9. Take the transformer that came with your gauges and connect it to all the gauges. Make sure they all are secure.

10. Get back to your car and put your cluster back in. Again, make sure you put it in the exact way you took it out; tilted down and one side at a time. Find a convenient place to put the transformer in the area where your cluster goes. I hung mine down through that hole on the left side .

11. Take the red and black wires from the transformer and run them over to the right side of the cluster. Find the wire that was connected to the dimmer switch of the frame you took off in step 2. Here's where my memory gets a little fuzzy. Connect the red wire (positive) of the transformer to the all black wire (it might have some small gray stripes on it) , or connect it to the red and black wire. Connect the black wire from the transformer to the other wire (i.e. if you have transformer red connected to black, then connect transformer black to red/black, if you have transformer red connected to red/black, then connect transformer black to black). There are only 2 possible combinations, so try them both. Once you have them connected, turn on your lights and see.

12. Once you get them to light up, close everything back up. Make sure all the wires are connected correctly. Make sure you connect the remote they gave you to the transformer and hang it out the accessory panel where the TCS should be.

Thats it, post back if you got another question.

Good luck!

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
thanks alot man!!!
im gonna go try it ....................il let u know how it goes:)
im not sure if u said this part but where did u put the dimmer switch for ur indiglo that changes the brightness? where the tcs is supposed to go? where is that? and how do i get it in there?
aight thanks im gonna start it tho.................

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
you crazy guys, only if you were there when we did out first ever group buy on legend indiglo gauges you could have known to be very careful not to move the needles around. just lightly bend them up to where you can slide the face gauges in...

ill try to dig up the person who had his friend calibrate his gauges for him.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
sombody should sticky my instructions, i spent nearly 45 min typing that stuff up :D

...hey i was bored at work and i had a lot of time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
NEW TRANSFORMER.....HELP!

eh...any one of you guys know where i can get a new transformer for my guages...they just quit about a week ago and i dont like driving in the dark....hehe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tach doesnt do anything......?

I got a set of indiglo gauges for my 93 legend, and when i put them in and drove my car, i noticed that everything worked fine, except for the tachometer. the needle wasn't moving at all. My first thought was that the gauge face was pushing on the needle and was causing it to stick, so i taped each gauge face down flat, That didn't work......I took it all apart again hoping to find a lose wire connection or something, but i found nothing. If anybody has had a similar problem and has found a solution, PLEASE help me out.

thanks -Jay:werd:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
hehe back to the top, my speedo isnt working, i didnt pull out the gauges, i think they got stuck on the material, and when i drove like that it caused it to become un-calibrated. I've made sure the indiglos arent interfering.. problem persists, anyone know of a good recalibrating shop in cali? How much $$$ am i looking @?

·
MAN-WHORE
1,937 Posts
This mod is soo stupid ricer played out already. Whats the point of making your pods glo that horrendous nuclear green if all your guages end up getting screwed . When I first discovered them I thought they were kinda cool, after reading post like this , I think they are Ultra-stupid. What the point of spending $$ just to get the guages to glo , mess up all your needles and then spend more $$$$$ on a whole new guage pod which wont even correspond with your actual mileage??? Thats like destroying your Legend.
Man check out my cool glowing guages!! Too bad my gas guage dont work now tho, wish I knew how much gas I have left --- put put Kaput roooooolllll stop! Damn outta gas!!!! Oh well guess Ill just park my car on the side of the road and leave my stranded azz parking lights on so everyone can see how cool my guages glo!!!! stupid ricer hahahaha
Bump that Im keeping my guages Beautifull , Stock, and most importantly --F-U-L-L-Y F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L!!!!! Man some people that attempted (and of course screwed up thier guages ) did not even know what a guage pod is. I mean that right there if you dont know what a guage pod is ---why the hell are you gonna even try to modify it genius?!?!?!? Its like the blind leading the blind ... geez :****: :****: :****:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Accord after I installed whitefaced guages. It turned out that the thickness of the overlay kept the needles from moving. This is just a idea because ulike you I did have some movement. They would get caught in some places and stick. Try lifting the needles a bit, otherwise here's a helpful link, www.ebay.com.

Best of luck...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts