Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car that I'm buying all off a sudden the owner says he did do the timing belt BUT he never gets a receipt for the work he does on his car because he gets it done @ his buddies shop. I asked if he paid with check and he said he always pays cash. So here's my question how in F#$% can I verify that the timing belt was done? I don't feel like payin 100 to 200 to have a shop inspect it!. I could check the plugs, air filter, fuel pump BUT it's not as expensive as a timing belt, so it could have been done. Can anyone help me on how I can check to see if the timing belt was done as said :( Thanks.

Latin.............

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you have a doubt about it, I suggest you change the timing belt immediately, who knows! That guy might just telling you what you want to hear, but actually the timing belt hasn't been changed. If me, I don't care and get that changes ASAP. I don't want to risk the engine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, I know wot u mean. The car has 83,000, the timing is due @ 90,000. Hopefully I'll find a way of knowing if it was done, if I don't than @ 90 miles I'll pay to have it inspected. Thanks.
Latin.....................

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Like Alex said, if you have your doubts, then just get it changed. I had the same problem when I got my legend and i decided to just change everything my self so I at least know that it was done. I changed the plugs, all the fluids, filters, water pump, and timing belt. Its best to be safe than sorry so if you need to change it to be sure, then do it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Triton3K said:
Like Alex said, if you have your doubts, then just get it changed. I had the same problem when I got my legend and i decided to just change everything my self so I at least know that it was done. I changed the plugs, all the fluids, filters, water pump, and timing belt. Its best to be safe than sorry so if you need to change it to be sure, then do it.
It is wise to do that. It's your insurance for the next 90k miles. Because your repair bill will be much higher if the timing belt snapped. And just imagining if it snaps while you're in really need of the car or you're in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Dude, take it to a/your trusted mechanic and get him to inspect the timing belt, he should be able to tell if it is old or not...My mechanic did this for me...He can look at the teeth of the belt to tell how it is doing...And ask the guy what the mileage was when he got the timing belt done....and who did it for him...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts