Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for some reason, when I went to start my car it wouldn't start, it would crank but not start. after some time realized if i held the key in the start position then it would stay on, if i let it go the engine would cut off. I had to drive home holding the key in the start position. also i noticed the display for the climate control went out as well as the radio. does anybody know what this may be?
Thanks folks...

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
that must have been the most confusing, complicated drive home..
ignition unit sounds like the problem. but then again thats the only thing thats clicking to my head.. since the key has to be kept in the start position.

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
def sounds like the ignition switch

for '91-'93 Legends, the p/n is 35130-SP0-305

$52 + shipping on acuraoemparts.com
$66 shipped from Flatirons Acura on eBay: eBay Motors: 1991 - 1993 ACURA LEGEND IGNITION SWITCH NEW OEM (item 150202681895 end time Apr-04-08 10:50:30 PDT)

if you dont do a ton of repairs yourself, give this one to a shop. Should be about an hour. You have to remove the lower dash, lay on your back under the steering wheel, and when you look up you'll see it. It's not that many screws, but you have to route it from behind the key lock cylinder all the way to the fuse box by your left foot. Lotta stuff in the way, lotta routing

I just replaced the one in my '94.
symptoms: engine would crank and start, but the second you let go it would die (almost like it was out of gas). it got worse after about a week or so...I would turn the key to the last spot BEFORE trying to crank it, but I would see NO lights in my dash. Turn the key SLIGHTLY like you're gonna crank it, and then the lights would come on. I would have to do this until I could let go of the key and STILL see the dash lights....then it would start right up. But then it eventually stopped working...I couldnt get the dash lights on, it would crank and start but immediately die (I never tried holding the key in the starting position...maybe that would have kept it running like yours). I got stranded in my work parking lot and had to leave her there!

When I removed mine...the solder on the wires FELL off. I think that's why some people say they can "slap" that area and get it to work...must be that the solder is bad and wires are starting to touch...maybe slapping it moves it around enough to get good contacts

I havent had a single starting issue since I replaced it. Hope that helps!

·
1,625 Posts
def sounds like the ignition switch

for '91-'93 Legends, the p/n is 35130-SP0-305

$52 + shipping on acuraoemparts.com
$66 shipped from Flatirons Acura on eBay: eBay Motors: 1991 - 1993 ACURA LEGEND IGNITION SWITCH NEW OEM (item 150202681895 end time Apr-04-08 10:50:30 PDT)

if you dont do a ton of repairs yourself, give this one to a shop. Should be about an hour. You have to remove the lower dash, lay on your back under the steering wheel, and when you look up you'll see it. It's not that many screws, but you have to route it from behind the key lock cylinder all the way to the fuse box by your left foot. Lotta stuff in the way, lotta routing

I just replaced the one in my '94.
symptoms: engine would crank and start, but the second you let go it would die (almost like it was out of gas). it got worse after about a week or so...I would turn the key to the last spot BEFORE trying to crank it, but I would see NO lights in my dash. Turn the key SLIGHTLY like you're gonna crank it, and then the lights would come on. I would have to do this until I could let go of the key and STILL see the dash lights....then it would start right up. But then it eventually stopped working...I couldnt get the dash lights on, it would crank and start but immediately die (I never tried holding the key in the starting position...maybe that would have kept it running like yours). I got stranded in my work parking lot and had to leave her there!

When I removed mine...the solder on the wires FELL off. I think that's why some people say they can "slap" that area and get it to work...must be that the solder is bad and wires are starting to touch...maybe slapping it moves it around enough to get good contacts

I havent had a single starting issue since I replaced it. Hope that helps!
Flatirons Acura is only 18 miles from where I live. PM me and let me know if you need the part. Maybe I can get it cheaper by going their and picking it up. I dont mind going outta my way to help out a fellow Legend owner. Let me know...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts