Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,306 Posts
For most part, OEM is the way to go. But for the radiator, I went aftermarket because I don't see a point in spending almost $500 for an OEM radiator with a plastic top when I could order an all metal CSF for $135 shipped from radiators.com. It's up to you, I've put over 5K miles on my CSF with no problems.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
5K = 5,000 miles. That's how long I have driven with my CSF radiatior and I have had no problems. When you replace a radiator, you have to first drain it. Naturally, after installing the new one, you must fill it and bleed it. I recomment Honda Type 2 coolant.

· Registered
392 Posts
Get any of these,

Modine with plastic neck
Koyo with plastic neck
CSF all metal

Most of them should be around 100~130 bucks (little less or more). Most of these are made in Indonesia, Taiwan, Tailand etc etc... which means there are NOT much quality differences... most of those are decent. I personally used Koyo and Modine.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
I went with Visteon. Good quality, perfect fitment. You usually can't use the OEM radiator cap with the CSFs. Would recommend against all metal. Get one with a lifetime warranty. Use the Search button. Thank you.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Mainly because CSF's quality is pretty crappy. I have seen a few that have been what looks like spray painted black. Can't be good for thermal properties. The OEM radiator caps do not fit. OEM chose to go plastic/alum, why not stay with the OEM design? Also I am pretty unsure about all-alum's properties in extreme cold conditions.

· Lara's Legend
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well 1st of all i should of asked 1st was how do I kinow if I need a radiator? I am leaking fluid but I need to know for sure?! I replaced the radiator cap & Yes OEM from Acura! i've spent a lot of time looking at where the leak might be comming out of , but it only comes out from the top.

thanks guys!

· Registered
438 Posts
arnach said:
Mainly because CSF's quality is pretty crappy. I have seen a few that have been what looks like spray painted black. Can't be good for thermal properties. The OEM radiator caps do not fit. OEM chose to go plastic/alum, why not stay with the OEM design? Also I am pretty unsure about all-alum's properties in extreme cold conditions.
All radiator shops (that I've ever seen anyways) spray paint them black after fixing them because it increases the cooling ability (didn't make sense to me either, I would think black on the inside and white on the outside would be best but I have been assured by my college physics professor that black on the outside does in fact increase the ability of the radiator to cool the coolant..)

The different size cap is a b!tch....

OEM chose to go plastic/aluminum because it's cheeper than all metal (cost and quality) as long as they last through the original warranty they don't care... I want my car to last a lot longer than 80k so I went all metal...

· Registered
121 Posts
I just put a CSF all metal, let me give you a word of advice my friend. If this is your first time doing this set aside a good 3 hours, and when you get frustrated step back and burn a Newport. CSF is the best bang for your buck(in my opinion) and I beleive you will need what is called a MICRO CAP for the radiator. Have some extra tranny fluid ready to top it off just in case you lost too much. And do yourself a favor and buy some new hose clamps for the tranny fluid and all the hoses, You should replace the hoses while your at it if needed. good luck

· Registered
4,439 Posts
chez1701 said:
Well 1st of all i should of asked 1st was how do I kinow if I need a radiator? I am leaking fluid but I need to know for sure?! I replaced the radiator cap & Yes OEM from Acura! i've spent a lot of time looking at where the leak might be comming out of , but it only comes out from the top.
thanks guys!
You need a new radiator if yours is leaking. Do you find coolant under the car?

· Registered
392 Posts
You can simply get a new rad from any retailer.

Modine (copper + plastic tank)
Koyo (copper + plastic tank)

They are all arond 100~120 bucks in the box if you order it from famous internet vendor such as radiatorbarn.com etc.

Most of them are pretty reasonable in shipping/handling etc.

You can get the cap from local acura dealer or goto napa etc. Most important is the radiator itself. If you see leaking, that is your radiator, if cap is wrong, your coolant will go to resorvoir

so, get a new rad and replace it. If you will, replace all the hoses all together....

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
I got a CSF plastic tank in my sedan, had to get a Nissan type rad cap. Any autoparts store will have them. Make sure you get the correct rating. It is 16lbs I think. Works fine.

If I were to do it again I would get a Modine. Much better quality radiator. They cost around $250

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.