Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got into a little fender bender quite a while back, and I still haven't done anything about it. My hood has been dented in on the passenger side right at the edge of the grille. There was no engine/chassis damage, however the hood is crumpled up a little bit. The top of the bumper is scraped a little bit, all that needs is a dash of paint. And the upper tie bar is dented in some, which has the headlight knocked back a little bit. Now as miniscule as the damage is, I've received several estimates all in the neighborhood of $1000-1200. Some guys say the hood can be repaired, but others say that it must be replaced altogether, as it wouldn't crumple anymore and would come straight through the windshield. I think these guys are yanking me and are just trying to rip me for another 500 bucks. Now the real kicker is the Acura 3-stage paint job, which will result in a $800 bill JUST for the painting of the small area. I need to get this fixed, as I may have to sell the Ledge soon (as much as it pains me). Would I be better off to search the junkyards for a new hood that's the same color and straighten out the tie bar myself, and maybe just have somebody do some paint on the bumper, or would I be better to just have somebody repair the hood as it is and repaint?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You can pound on the metal hood for a long time at $26-28 an hour at most shops. If this was an insurance claim they would not replace a dented hood unless the metal was fractured or badly creased. I would take it to another shop for an estimate (most do this for free) to repair the hood. My wife ran into the back of another car and creased it badly to the point it was sharp folded....insurance didn't want to replace but I persisted since shop owner knew me and supported me. A badly creased or fracture will lose integrity if hit again (at that spot), but if just generally deformed it can be straightened and made good for a lot less money. Don't let them try to scare you into spending unnecessary money, but if it is actually beyond repair more than one shop will tell you....always get a second opinion...good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts