Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car at a shop I shouldnt have and they over tightened my oil plug and striped the last of the bite off the bolt head. It was already in bad shape from similar past experiences over the years and should have been replaced already but wasnt. Now how do I get this thing out? I partly want to go back and ask them :wtf: but I'd rather never go back. Whats the easy fix? slot the head? shave the head to a smaller size? suggestions requested.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I forgot the position of the plug... Can you get a pipe wrench to it? The teeth should bite into the plug as you put more pressure. If it can turn a round pipe, it should be able to turn a worn bolt. Another option is locking vice grip.

Just don't hammer the plug by using a smaller socket size. Filing it may take a while.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've always used a smaller socket, a hammer to tightly fit it on there. Theres a specific socket and not really sure how to explain it. Gonna give it a try. When you look inside the socket, make sure its not the one with six sides, but one that has a bunch of corners. Hope you understood that????!!!! Slotting it works too, tricky part is trying not to get the pan and keep it centered at the same time. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a reverse threading remover socket set, I got mine at Lowe's Hardware for like $20. It has been one of my best purchases, used it for removing stripped nuts off the Y-pipe and removing those nasty torx screws.
that sounds like a easy solution to look into. I like new tools that do cool stuff.

I forgot the position of the plug... Can you get a pipe wrench to it? The teeth should bite into the plug as you put more pressure. If it can turn a round pipe, it should be able to turn a worn bolt. Another option is locking vice grip.

Just don't hammer the plug by using a smaller socket size. Filing it may take a while.
pipe wrench :rolleyes: theres not enough room for any pliers strong enough. So far cutting a notch in it and trying to turn it out with a big screw driver or rigging a screw tip to the impact gun sounds like a the cheapest idea so far. but the $20 tool set could be usefull:yes:

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Also, on my old BMW the oil drain plug got f*ed from a rock or something hitting it on the freeway...my grandfather got a huge 3/4 inch bolt and cut off the head and then welded the head onto the broken drain plug....he then grabbed a 3/4 wrench and took it off no problem...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try clamping a large set of vice grips on the head of the plug and pull out while turning.

Ive always had luck with this guy:

Otherwise big vise grips or a pipe wrench and a prayer...
Thank you, I got one of those for $12 +tax and it worked, slipped off a few times but worked.

·
difficult to kill
710 Posts
mine got stuck awhile ago too! i used the not so subtle method of hammering a 1mm too small socket onto the bolt. had to replace it (the bolt not the socket) afterwards but it worked out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts