Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the OEM Stereo/Cassette from the 1986 Legend and replace it with a Stereo/CD (basic stuff). The car is my little sister's, so I am doing this for <$200 (my gift to her - I am going nuts without a CD!).

I am sure many of you have done this, and now I need some advice.

BTW, searching through the archives nets very little.

Does anyone have any comments on how tough it is? How about the wiring harness (colors)? Will I still be able to control the volume up top? Is there a simple way to pull this off?

Anyone want to share pics of their installation?

Thanks.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I found it pretty easy. You just need to get an acura wiring harass from radio shack or any car audio place. This harass makes the connection of the new head unit alot easier.
If your getting a single din headunit you have to get an adapter b/c the stock unit is double din (The size of two). Just follow the instructions and take your time.

here's a pic of my sony w/ the adapter

goodluck
Esti

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a difference in the wiring harnesses between years, or are all the G1 harnesses identical?

How will the stock speakers sound with an aftermarket head unit? I am not interested in acoustic excellence, just decent sound (I listen to AM radio often).

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I'm not sure but I think the harness says acura 86- 89.
Just as long as you have the non-bose system (base or L model) the new system will sound fine with the stock system. Just as long as the speakers are still in good shape.

good luck
Esti

·
Registered
24 Posts
Esti said:
I found it pretty easy. You just need to get an acura wiring harass from radio shack or any car audio place. This harass makes the connection of the new head unit alot easier.
If your getting a single din headunit you have to get an adapter b/c the stock unit is double din (The size of two). Just follow the instructions and take your time.

Where did u get the adapter? I don't know if they're readily available here in Norway (few legends sold over here). Is it legend specific? Does it have a coin tray or something? I have the 1.5 DIN bose, and want to replace it with a single din head unit. Will I be able to toss out the now quite obsolete cassette holder below the stereo and get something useful instead?

Thnx!

-tegfelt
1989 Legend LS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to Best Buy.

I got a Jensen CD/Radio with 45Wx4 for only $99. It cost another $48 for the adapter kit (double to single DIN), wiring harness, bass blockers, filters, and tax. So, for $147... I've now got a CD player in the car.

The Jensen deck has a remote control which I mounted on the rear of the handbrake (with plastic zip ties). Now, with my arm on the armrest, the remote works the radio via fingertip controls!

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.