Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MAN-WHORE
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi A6
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7938361428&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT
This was option #2 but I still saved a few bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7936905103&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
I also purchased a JDM 0ne piece headlights so I guess you gouys know who is gonna have projector retro mod next ;)
For some reason the Bmw's Projector Bezel Looks like it would be a real tight fit inside the one piecers. So did I do good? I figuired HID kit cost bout $300 everywhere and the projectors alone cost at least $100 so I didnt want to spend over $400 on this kit and still have bi-xenons and all the goodies still attached to the factory freakin headlight all together. OH ONE BIG QUESTION ! DO I NEED A WIRING HARNESS ? If so can someone help speed up the search by pointing me in the right direction?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Blue_Raspberry said:
Yeah you did good. However, if I had to choose between the two, I would've gone with the 745 kit. The plus is that it comes with oem "Xenon" shrounds. :D

But you definitely made a good choice :2cool:
:werd: The shrouds would've saved you a little less time on doing the retro. Anyways, good move. I wished I saved up and bought projectors instead of jumping on an HID kit.
 

·
MAN-WHORE
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue_Raspberry said:
Yeah you did good. However, if I had to choose between the two, I would've gone with the 745 kit. The plus is that it comes with oem "Xenon" shrounds. :D

But you definitely made a good choice :2cool:
Thanks for your replies guys . I was worried those Bezels around the BMW kit wouldnt fit the inside of the head light ...they look HUGE but for real the price difference was gonna be dollars it was a tough call.
FUNNY THING IS: I was afraid to ask anybody here on the forum which was better because I didnt want to expose the bid and lose it to one of you all. That I have seen Bezels for sale on other websites by themselves . I figuire that would be the most important part for a clean install . Is the "SHROUD" the same piece Im taking about the chrome Ring around the lens that hides the mechanics of the projector when you see it installed. Also WHAT ABOUT THE HARNESS? I dont want to fry the electronics on my baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
KINGFABIAN...actually I have a pair of those BMW shrouds. I was going to use them on my projectors, but they are a bit too big; it makes the projector sit too high. You can however cut them....but i didnt feel like fussing with it.
good luck :2cool:

jt
 

·
P*mp!
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
post pics when done, cant wait to see,...GOODLUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
KINGFABIAN said:
Thanks for your replies guys . I was worried those Bezels around the BMW kit wouldnt fit the inside of the head light ...they look HUGE but for real the price difference was gonna be dollars it was a tough call.
FUNNY THING IS: I was afraid to ask anybody here on the forum which was better because I didnt want to expose the bid and lose it to one of you all. That I have seen Bezels for sale on other websites by themselves . I figuire that would be the most important part for a clean install . Is the "SHROUD" the same piece Im taking about the chrome Ring around the lens that hides the mechanics of the projector when you see it installed. Also WHAT ABOUT THE HARNESS? I dont want to fry the electronics on my baby.
Yeah the shrounds are the chrome rings you're talking about. I dunno about wiring, but I don't think it'll be difficult. I see you're trying to get ready for the meet, huh? :2cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Blue_Raspberry said:
Yeah the shrounds are the chrome rings you're talking about. I dunno about wiring, but I don't think it'll be difficult. I see you're trying to get ready for the meet, huh? :2cool:
Pardon me but the chrome rings around the front of the projectors are called bezels. They are mainly for cosmetic purposes only. A shroud is what covers the area behind the bezel. A shroud prevents light from leaking out from the sides of the projectors, thus having both cosmetic and functional purposes.

To wire up the bixenon properly so that you can use both the HI/LOW plus the yellow fogs, you'll need to make a wiring harness similar to this diagram from the HID FAQ:

HID FAQ bixenon wiring diagram
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
imports_only1 said:
Pardon me but the chrome rings around the front of the projectors are called bezels. They are mainly for cosmetic purposes only. A shroud is what covers the area behind the bezel. A shroud prevents light from leaking out from the sides of the projectors, thus having both cosmetic and functional purposes.

To wire up the bixenon properly so that you can use both the HI/LOW plus the yellow fogs, you'll need to make a wiring harness similar to this diagram from the HID FAQ:

HID FAQ bixenon wiring diagram
Oops. Thanks for clearing that up :p
 

·
MAN-WHORE
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for more replies yall. Ok I think I understand what the shroud is now. When You see just a projector buy itself it usually consist of a little bulb. a back reflector part where the bulb mounts to the asseembly and reflects the light to the LENS the glass part you see that concentrates the lights onto the road. Then most of these projectors are preatty open on the sides and Ive seen people use COKE cans and whatever to wrap up these assembly fronm the sides to keep the light escaping out from the sides and further concentrate them to the lens. If thats the piece I may need I was just gonna go with the coke can thingy seems to work well. But I really wanted that ENTIRE headlight assembly in case there were any parts (factory AUDI) that I can use for this retro. However it looks like alot of these shrouds are part of the entire headlight assembly itself so it doesnt look like its something that can be as easily swapped into JDM headlights without modification or as easily as the COKE can shroud.
Then there is that one guy that did like a homemade shroud with posterboard and chrome reflective tape or graphics.
Oh I well get these puppies mounted , I can become like Macgyver when it comes to these things and I want it bad enough. Would be sweet to get it done before 2005 comes but it will be too tight with shipping wait time...Holiday shopping time...and then If I run into any problems taking my headlights and putting everything back together time. My ACURA LEGEND SEDAN OWES THIS FORUM BIGTIME!!! If it wasnt for here I probably would still be stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
There are lots of way to making a shroud, including the coke can. But I think this will be easier; just go to your local Home Depot or hardware store and buy a little piece of flexible aluminum foil. Cut it up to fit around your projector. If you use a bezel, it will hold the shroud in place without any other welding or fabrication. I used this method on all my retrofits and they work like a charm. Easy as 1-2-3: :D



 

·
MAN-WHORE
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh man a reply with a picture. Thanks for all your info Im understanding this setup more then ever. This should be relatively easy. I cant wait till this stuff comes in the mail. :bowdown:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top