Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Damm, that should be the last thing I should have to worry about if I had a car like that. And with such low mileage. That really sucks a$$.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
abe805 said:
thats a nice engine there
I take it you haven't read the link yet? It really is a nice engine and a nice car, but take a look at some of the engine failure problems people are having. If you read it, you can see that it seems to always be the same problem. Some people thought it was over reving, but when the symtoms are all nearly the same, something is surely wrong.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Wow Chris.... Very good link.

Did you guys watch the video of that guy taping what his engine sounded like? That sounded worse than my 88 ford clitaurus...

I cannot beleive some of those pictures....... And also the engine failures are all different causes.... seems like a bad engine design to me. I dont know if I would buy one now.....

·
Registered
310 Posts
for sport car enthusiast:

always go for either NSX, PORSCHE, FERRARI

BMW is infamous for the failure, such as electrical and engine.
BENZ is good, but it's not worth the money where the performance is always under par and AUTO only

only for the BEST

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Hey gameson! You ever checked up on Ferrari maintenance? Try $5K for your 15K "tuneup" service, how about $15K for an engine overhaul. The adage on Ferraris is it's better to find one cheap with a beat body than it is to find one cheap with a beat drivetrain.

Truely amazing cars to drive but the maintenance is a killer.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I think what BMW needs to do is stop rusting out the blocks when they make the engine. As a M3 slooth of mine once found out, all M3 engines start their journey as a regular production block that's been sitting out in the rain and rusted out. Then all the rust is polished and sanded away, thus leaving a very smooth and beautiful cylender. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Hey gameson! You ever checked up on Ferrari maintenance? Try $5K for your 15K "tuneup" service, how about $15K for an engine overhaul. The adage on Ferraris is it's better to find one cheap with a beat body than it is to find one cheap with a beat drivetrain.

Truely amazing cars to drive but the maintenance is a killer.
yap, i am fully aware of that, but if a person can afford a FERRARI, i am pretty sure that person can afford the maintance. if i can get a ferrari, i am pretty sure i can afford the maintance.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
gAmEs0n said:

yap, i am fully aware of that, but if a person can afford a FERRARI, i am pretty sure that person can afford the maintance. if i can get a ferrari, i am pretty sure i can afford the maintance.
Dont be so sure about that. :)

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Seems to me I heard about BMW having problems with their nickasil alloy blocks on the 12 cylinder. Seems the blocks just rotted away in under 50K. Forget the whole story, but for all their "engineering prowness", they have had some major problems.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Seems to me I heard about BMW having problems with their nickasil alloy blocks on the 12 cylinder. Seems the blocks just rotted away in under 50K. Forget the whole story, but for all their "engineering prowness", they have had some major problems.
That I believe was the mid 90s 540 V8 egnines as well. I don't know the chassis code or the exact years, but It was the one that goes right up until 1996 I believe. I heard BMW had a 100K mile short block replacement program for original owners of the 540. I don't think they are using that Nickasil coating anymore though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I am still bvuying an M3

Man this is so sad!

& I was gonna buy one next year.

Hey I heard they were gonna drop a V8 in there. Anyone know when thats gonna happen ?

Welllllllllllll Ive thought it over, Im still buying an M3:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
my boys X5...

www.eliteviews.com

was all nice when he got it but pos blew up. its been over a year and bmw hasnt resolved ****. their lawyers have admitted that bmw has been aware of the defect before the cars even went ont he market but the suit still has not been resolved. ohh well... insurance fixed him up nicely:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
whoa, thats bad. reminds me of the ACura CL trannies blowing so early.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts