Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey....
Im hearing all this talk about failing headgaskets, and its starting to worry me. People always talk about the idle going up and down as a sign of the headgasket giving out, and i have the idle problem. It usually happens between 500-1200 rpm, and usually happens after ive been driving awile and i stop. For example, when i first bought the car i noticed it like once a week or two, but now it seems that every time i pull up to my place and get out to open the garage door i hear the engine revving up and down......
So far the warning signs of a headgasket problem i hear of are...
1) Oil in the coolant
2) Coolant in the overflow tank
3) Idle Surge
4) Radiator needle bouncing
The only problem i have is the idle surge though, ive never had the needle bounce around and my coolant level is always normal. Im getting worried anyway cause of all this HD failure talk, oh yea, and my car has 141k miles. What else should i look for? I mentioned earlier that im goin on a big road trip so if my HD went out along the way my dad would S*&T bricks if he had to send me 1500 bucks to get it fixed. Everything else is fine with my ride, but the idle problem is irritating. Could it be clogged injectors/fuel filter? Any advise or help i would really appreciate, im leaving may 3 Legend permitting....
thanx
MD

·
Registered
847 Posts
try bleeding your cooling system, it may be as simple as that. If you are not sure how, it's better for you to find a good independent Mechanic and flush your cooling system with Honda Premixed Coolant. Doesn't cost that much anyways:)

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Electronic Air Control Valve (EACV), Fast Idle Valve (FIV) air the primary idle control devices. FIV is controlled by coolant, so if coolant is low or air bound erratic idle could result. Malfunctioning EACV would probably toss an error code out and give a check engine light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts