Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum.
I just bought a 92 Acura Legend L sedan with auto tranny.

I love the car it has 140k on the car and i really like the way it runs and handles.
I do have a few questions about some problems i am having with this car.

First of all the tranny (auto) shifts into 1st gear really hard...now i know what everyone is going to post.....bad tranny mount but i had the mechanic replace that when i bought the car(bought it from my mechanic)
other gears the tranny is perfect very good downshifts. but that first gear slams in very hard. Now to go along with this i seem to notice a hard push with the tranny for example when i have the car on a steep hill and come to a stop i never have to hit the brake the engine and tranny hold the car even on the steepest hills.
The idle when the car is in gear is around 700rpm(car at operating temp.)

2nd problem: when the car is cold and i have the car warming up the idle surges from 1000 to 2000rpm and keeps boucing up and down and up and down until the car warms up then the problems stops

sorry to rant on and on but your input would greatly help
thanks again
snowdowg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same here

I have a 91 L Sedan with an auto tranny with about 88,000 miles on it.

My car does the same thing (2nd problem). I have no clue what it is but it only does that when the car is cold. It cant be good for the engine to rev and drop like that.

Also, when I start the car and its cold it idles high and really wants to "go". I'll push in the brake and throw it in 1st and the rpms will drop and the car wants to take off. It only does this when the car is cold.... I dont know if its normal or not..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
My car also does that - it wants to take off specially when I just started the car and want to drive it.

The solution is to let it warm up till the rpm drops below 1000 - it drive much easier and it feels much better!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well when you first start the car there is a higher idle, a warm up idle where the car idles higher. That is normal and your idle should drop to normal after about 45 seconds or so.

As for the tranny issue, I would recommend you get the tranny flushed and have fresh tranny fluid put in. That should smooth things out quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The Legend has a pronounced hard upshift. I would suggest that you perform a "flush" of the system; replacing all 11 quarts by performing a drain and refill 3x with about 50 miles in between. Purpose is to evacuate all of the old fluid. Use Honda A/T only, and buy at your local Honda dealer. You could also use Dexron, but you would have to add SmartBlend. If you cannot find SmartBlend, then use all Honda. NO SUBSTITUTIONS. Made a world of difference with my 1992.

There is a rather high idle when cold. Idle spec for A/T is 600 +/- 50. Irratic idle could be due to a dirty Throttle Body or a cracked radiator. You did not mention any Codes being present. Bleed the system to determine whether any air is present. Monitor the coolant level to determine whether you are loosing coolant. If this were my car, in order to sleep at night I would have the headgaskets checked. Bring it to your local emissions testing garage and have them test (hold wand over radiator fill opening while coolant is circulating) to check for the presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Last suggestion is to go to www.helminc.com and order yourself a Service Manual and Owner's Manual. Make it an early birthday present to yourself. Will be the best $100 you could spend. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts