Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into an accidnet a month ago and insurance has determined that my car is a complete loss. Its just cosmetic damage, noting wrong with engine or suspension. Just rear quarter panel SKIN damage, which is completely repairable. I am going to keep the car and repair it to brand new. The insurance told me i have to go to the DMV and report my car as salvaged. Its a shame i have to report it as salvaged because its a 93LS 6spd. Insurance has alrady paid me out, if i dont report it as salvaged will the (DMV or insurance) find out? What would be the peanalty? I live in california.

·
OG Member
1,498 Posts
I had my car salvaged too, it was interior damage when someone broke into my car. I believe they will notify DMV, not too sure though. If you're going to keep the car then it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to keep the car. But knowing that i have to change it to a salvage title just pisses me off. I dont know if it matters but its not my insurance that paid me off, it was the other person's. I only had liability so my insurance didnt do jack for me they dont even know that the case is wraped up and determined that the other party is at fault. When i do tell my own insurance they wont raise my rates will they? Accident was determined not my fault nor was there damage to the other vehicle.

·
A 15yr O.G. Owner!
377 Posts
I believe that when an insurance company pays you off on a car you own and classify it in their records as totalled, they do send in a document to DMV statusing the vehicle as "salvaged".

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Who wants to run a CarFax on my Infiniti and find out? :lol:

Yeah dude you should probably tell the DMV...it may fly for a while, but if and when they find out, I'm sure they will ream you :(

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
Not sure about California's laws but in Florida, if this was your first accident and it wasn't your fault your rates will not go up. If they do, and its documented that it isn't your fault, thats illegal.

It's ambiguous what happens after a second accident that isn't your fault. Again they shouldn't go up, but if they do you'll need to dispute - call an attorney.

-Ed

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
Who wants to run a CarFax on my Infiniti and find out? :lol:

Yeah dude you should probably tell the DMV...it may fly for a while, but if and when they find out, I'm sure they will ream you :(
yea maybe but, i had my old prelude totalled. this dude rearend it while my sister was driving it (i was in the car too, not our fault at all). His insurance co totaled the car, i bought it back. got my check. now they didnt tell me about going to the DMV, but since the car has been really totaled, and i've run a carfax and it was clean.

i saw, don't do anything about it and later play the I didn't know card. (aka ignorance)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am tempted to play the i didnt know card. But anyone have an idea of what the possible peanalties could be if i get caught? Possibly a fine, jail time, or maybe both? Its not like im trying to sell the car and lie about the the clean title, i am keeping the car but i truly dont believe it should be a salvaged title.

·
Registered
93 Posts
if the car is fixed at time of you going to the dmv to register the car your fine. if they took the car it the becomes salvaged. I took a car from a friend that totaled the car and notified insurance and i fixed the car and titled it with a clean title. worst case is they send you a letter making you take it for inspection but you will have papers for all damage/repairs so ur good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nothing you can do to avoid it at this point. In CA the insurance company is required to notify DMV when it's a total. It will become a Salvage Title when you restore the car and re-register it. Everything will have to be inspected and certified. make sure everything is working and functional before you go get certified. The key is to argue the total issue before you settle.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to the dmv today to register it as a salvage title but it turns out my insurance didnt even report it as salvage to dmv. It doesnt show up on the computer so they wouldnt let me register it as salvaged. I dont think my insurance even knows whats up because i got paid through other drivers insurance and they handled everything. Supposely my insurance is suppost to report it first to the dmv not the other guys insurance. Since my insurance doesnt know wats up should i just call them and let them know wats up OR should i just fix the car then bring it to them and lie and say that the other insurance just paid for the repairs and act as if a total loss + buyback never occured?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Question: insurance salvage value pay out or, car title salvaged? It sounds
like the former (payoff,) and not the latter (Motor Vehicle Registry.) I would
do nothing about registry untill renewal; and just reapply. If the insurance
company balks at "totalled" you may not be able to get as complete coverage
as you want. Just ask your insurance agent to explain the companies position. They want your money.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
insurance co MUST give u same coverage on a rebuilt vehicle as a normal car. i agree, thecompany "totaled" your car b/c its cheaper for them to pay out. thats what they do with old cars. since u buy it back, usually nothing happens with the title. that's how its happened to me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to the dmv today to register it as a salvage title but it turns out my insurance didnt even report it as salvage to dmv. It doesnt show up on the computer so they wouldnt let me register it as salvaged. I dont think my insurance even knows whats up because i got paid through other drivers insurance and they handled everything. Supposely my insurance is suppost to report it first to the dmv not the other guys insurance. Since my insurance doesnt know wats up should i just call them and let them know wats up OR should i just fix the car then bring it to them and lie and say that the other insurance just paid for the repairs and act as if a total loss + buyback never occured?
i know that this post was old but i just wanna know what happen with your totaled loss car? did u get a salvage title or u didnt do anything and still drove it? because i have the same situation right now. im thinking if i can just jeep driving it without getting a salvage title.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got into an accidnet a month ago and insurance has determined that my car is a complete loss. Its just cosmetic damage, noting wrong with engine or suspension. Just rear quarter panel SKIN damage, which is completely repairable. I am going to keep the car and repair it to brand new. The insurance told me i have to go to the DMV and report my car as salvaged. Its a shame i have to report it as salvaged because its a 93LS 6spd. Insurance has alrady paid me out, if i dont report it as salvaged will the (DMV or insurance) find out? What would be the peanalty? I live in california.
I live in Washington and the same happened to me and sane thing cosmetic damage but came out to 5 grand to fix so the totaled it and only got paid 2500 but to get the payment meant they bought the car so I was able to buy it back for $150 and I only paid 2500 to begin with so basically got a free car considering I just bought it that month . And when that happens it is now salvaged title on dmv records. If you don't take payment that would be the only way to avoid it being a salvage title. Currently getting parts from pick n pull and fixzing it myself for only a couple hundo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts