Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For grins, what should I be looking for? I noted a thread here recently said go with the 2000 and up, but it didn't say why...Are the 2000 and up more reliable? That particular body came out in 1999, right? Was there a problem with previous RLs I need to know about?

How reliable are these cars? I see some advertised with almost 200K miles on them. Do they share the same tranny as the recent Accords/TLs that have so many issues?

BTW, if someone says "Search", I'll whore it up in here. :giggle:

thanks

· Banned
3,429 Posts
mainly for the upgrades. the +99's look better because they made the RL look a lot less "soft."

the only problems that plague these cars are the dreaded rear window regulator. other than that the c35a is pretty damn reliable. I know the '03-'04 was the 3rd most reliable vehicle on the road.

RL has no tranny issues that I know of.

I personally would look for a 2002+....2002's had the benefit of the sport tuned suspension and HP/TQ increase :)

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
91sedan said:
mainly for the upgrades. the +99's look better because they made the RL look a lot less "soft."

the only problems that plague these cars are the dreaded rear window regulator. other than that the c35a is pretty damn reliable. I know the '03-'04 was the 3rd most reliable vehicle on the road.

RL has no tranny issues that I know of.

I personally would look for a 2002+....2002's had the benefit of the sport tuned suspension and HP/TQ increase :)
I do prefer the look of the +99's over the First Gen RL, so if I go RL, it will be that flavor unless I come across a deal for a First Gen I can't pass up. 2002+ may be out of my price range, however. Meh, it's still months away even if I were wanting to buy one today, though, so.

· Registered
995 Posts
duck said:
I do prefer the look of the +99's over the First Gen RL, so if I go RL, it will be that flavor unless I come across a deal for a First Gen I can't pass up. 2002+ may be out of my price range, however. Meh, it's still months away even if I were wanting to buy one today, though, so.
I see it two ways, you can go 99+ which makes the RL look super nice with the big grill and all that jazz. I frequent this site because I love the VIP look: Aimgain This look goes with the 99+ RL very nicely. Huges wheels and super dumped. :eek2:

The second way the RL can go is well, my own personal look with the 96-98. I am a road racer/circuit racer, whatever you want to call it. I did a sporty look. NO FAT CHROME WHEELS FOR ME (remember that VOLK advertisement?) I am going with a VIPsport look. Instead of the chrome on black-VIP cars are typically black or white- I went with color on color. My car is green with gold wheels with a polished lip. Its sort of the JDM trend I suppose, you know with the civics and tegs. I also went with 18s vs. 19s. The 18s are big enough but not too big. Anyway the small front grill has this inherent "JDM" flavor to it, and also the amber in the tail lights is JDMish. I think it works and I love the way my car turned out. Some people dont like it here but that just their uneducated opinion :p

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, Aimgain has some nice looking rides...

Your car looks good too...I don't think it looks riced out or whatever. I don't care what people do to their cars, what I hate is when they chose to do something, they half-ass it and make it look like poop; There is nothing worse than an otherwise beautiful car that has a body kit put on it looking like it was put on by drunk men wearing blindfolds in the dark and rain. I like a clean look with tight tolerances, not huge gaps where there should not be a gap.

Oh, I didn't say I did NOT like the look of the First Gen RL, I just prefer the 1999-up. I could look good in a 1996-1998 RL. :giggle:

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm personally going to purchase a 2002 RL this coming weekend. Turning in my leased Jag S-Type and going with the purchase. I was looking at the '01s, but I do like the advantage of a newer car with the added performance. Also, I wanted to be able to get an extended warranty on it and most places don't do it if its got too many miles or over 3 years old. I think the 2001 and up RLs don't need any mods since they're supposed to be a luxury car and look elegant just the way they are. I haven't seen any "improvement" with mods of any kind!

· Registered
580 Posts
hey duck, If I were you I would go for an 03, my mom has one and its nice, I forgot who said it but the rear window regulator has a problem that wont even react, but warranty will cover that, they did our window for free, and the problem has gone since. This is true with ALL acuras but the leather on RL's cracks easy from sunlight, our leather is in perfect cond. Ive seen other peeps leather and it was bad. The navigation is not too bad either, but you'll want to get the upgraded DVD to the 2005 year. Overall is a good powerful car that wont have troubles going up and down hills, transmission is perfect, and if you go with the 02's and up you get the "oh so beautiful Xenon lights, those are pretty sweet on my moms. Onstar, and that 3 button garage openner is a good feature too. If you got a family this is the perfect car, with the rear A/C and its very roomy. All the things Ive mentioned is for the 03 year, I dont know about other years, oh ya and the 6 disc cd changer. Thats pretty much all, its a nice car you should get one.

· Banned
3,429 Posts
HIDS came standard in '99 buddy...the first year of the RL's enhancements. even if '02+ are out of your price range...'99-'01 ares plenty available. the only diffrences between the years are nav system version, HP/TQ increase and suspension change. its basically the same car. however nav didnt go from hard drive based to dvd based until 2000 i think. which ever year you go with, your getting an awesome car.

I got a 98 SE awhile back and i love the car.

and yes...AIMGAIN has some sick stuff. I'd love to slap that kit on my '98, but i want to paint it first.

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I see why the 03's go up in price when I am shopping online...Thanks for the info, fellas.

· Rajun Cajun Gumbo Man
158 Posts
I'll keep it short. I bought a brand new 2004 RL while they (Acura Dealership) was discounting them for the first time in company history to make room for the all new 2005 RL. They took $8000.00 off sticker price. I waited 8 long years for this. BEST car I've ever owned. I currently have 11,200 precious California garage miles. It has NEVER seen a wet road or a gravel road......too bad they stopped making this car ! I think it was Acura's "best kept secret".....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.