Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I see so many people interested in the M3 and other Bimmers, I figured I post some valuable information. If your considering getting a BMW, which I highly recommend:

1. Enroll in BMW Car Club America (BMWCCA.org) one year in advance of buying/leasing a Bimmer (new or preowned) and you can qualify for a rebate of up to $1500.

http://www.bmwcca.org/PDFs/Form-MembershipReward.pdf

2. European Delivery (excludes X5 since its built in South Carolina) - I know a guy who just left yesterday to Munich, Germany to pick up his new US 330i Bimmer. BMW plans everything, they arrange your stay, flight, pickup location, exporting etc... You get to travel throughout europe in your new bimmer and then afterwards drop off the car at a BMW center and they will arrange to have it shipped back to the US. BMW offsets the cost of your trip by reducing the MSRP price (approx $2500). Thus buying or leasing a BMW in the US would cost you the same.

Here's some more info: http://bmwusa.com/site_layout/virtual/eurodeliv/eurodeliv_b.html

3. US Delivery - Same as above they arrange everything and you can pick up the car at the performance center in SC. Good way of breaking it in while driving back.

http://bmwusa.com/site_layout/joy_of_driving/performance_center/takedelivery.html

4. Driving school - While taking delivery, you can also learn from experts at the performance center, one day lesson (Car Control Clinic $500). Spend a day pushing the bimmers to the limits. From what I hear they break out every model and everyone rotates cars throughout the day (Z3 - M5).

http://bmwusa.com/site_layout/joy_of_driving/performance_center/drivers.html

5. If your tossed between the mercedes or X5. I recommend you visit www.mercedes-lemon.com to hear from some real owners - yikes $50K lemons.

6. Those in the tri-state area I know this great guy in Hassel BMW, Freeport, that will work to get you the best possible deal. I thought we could not afford the X5 but he made it happen (no other dealer would even match the price)....so don't pass up a bimmer if your shopping around. Let me know if I can help....

7. BMW parts can be obtained from www.pacificbmw.com at "acura of augsta" prices. Cheapest online dealer, but keep in mind maintenance on most new bimmers are included (All services including parts, oil changes, brakes, rotors, even car inspections).

I still love the Legend but if Acura could only return the love like BMW. The service and commitment to customer service is night and day....I almost wished I owned one sooner.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Its just funny that I just came from checking out www.bmwplanet.com and I see this. I've always wanted an M5 but being that they body is gonna change i've opted to look at the X5 and the M3. I wanna purchase one of these within the beginning of 2003. Thanks for all that info Mike and I hope you like the way that X5 handles because just the other day I drove my friends X5 4.4 and when I say that SAV has pickup and go, I was like whoa, I need one of these. I was having a ball in that car. It just handles so much like a sports car that you'll forget your in a SAV. Also LegendGS, Pacific BMW is known throughout the BMW community. But like Mike said you might not really need to get in touch with them because BMW does perform all the services to the car because of the warranty.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Graeme - Yes. Most of the X5 guys use pacificbmw exclusively because of there low prices - approx 20%-30% off msrp. Most dealers strictly charge msrp for everything....

Dee - I only admitted this to two other Legend owners but the X5 does handle better then the Legend and the ride is soooo smooth. Since we're still in the break-in period we havent pushed it but it appears the X5 can easily keep up with the legend.

Leon - Towing:

3.0 (225hp & 214 lb-ft) = 5000lbs
4.4 (290hp & 324 lb-ft) = 6000lbs
4.6 (340hp & 350 lb-ft) = 6000lbs

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I have to say something regarding the Mercedes. The quality has gone way low in many of their cars. As some of you might have seen I have a 79' Benz and it is the most solid car you could ever get. So much performance and luxury from a 25 Year Old Car. But when I go to the Mercedes Dealership, I notice that the amount of cheap plastic they use in some of their "lower range" cars i.e. the C Class, CLK, and E Class are unacceptable for a car costing so much money. I feel the M-Class is the worst possibly because it is built and assembled in Alabama. Nevertheless, when you step into a S-Class, SL, CL, or sometimes a SLK you feel how solid the Car is, and it brings you back to the times when Mercedes Built very solid cars. BTW, I notice that many of you are interested in a M5, why is the E55, (or if you have the $$$) the S55, or the older E500 out the window? Just wondering, I am always one to support the "BRILLIANT" Mercedes automobiles.

Cheers,

Neil

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Armayo I would get the 4.6i in a hearbeat. The 4.6i is an even more sportier version of the 4.4. I saw a red one the other day and the car looks great. But the price on the 4.6i is pretty high but if I had the money i'd get it in a second.

Mike You are right about this, the X5 to me handles much better and is more responsive and has a wonderful breaking system. Everything in and out of that car is just wonderful. I was doing 70 in that car without a problem. When I say that car has pull, I mean it pulls when you step on that gas. My friend who owns the car also has a 2002 Chevy Tahoe and he asked me to drive the X5 for him cause he wanted to drive the tahoe to a parking lot and I said ok. When I say I didnt wanna get out the drivers seat, I nearly cried :D . He tells me that its funny going from the Tahoe to the X5 because the X5 is faster, more sportier and response is so quick on that car. I'm gonna see if he'll let me drive it again today. :D

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Neil4Speed said:
Thanks for the info!

BTW, I notice that many of you are interested in a M5, why is the E55, (or if you have the $$$) the S55, or the older E500 out the window? Just wondering, I am always one to support the "BRILLIANT" Mercedes automobiles.

Cheers,

Neil
I drove a friends 1998 E55 before and that car handles pretty good. I would definately consider an S55 or better yet a CL55. None of the cars you mentioned are out the window but its just something about that M being in front of that 5 that makes it special. Notice how alot of these nice cars have the number 5? :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not to mention the Fact that all of them have 50 Less Horses for 2k more.. Go fig... I also think there is somesort of conspiricy going on with Chrysler... hmm...

Cheers,

Neil

I am not cRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZycRaZy:D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Leon Millette said:
WOW
Thanks, Mike...wouldn't it be nice to see a sweetly modded X5 4.4 pulling two nicely modded Legends on a trailer to NOPI? :D
Believe it or not, I inquired about keeping the 4Runner an extra two months so I could trailer my legend to NOPI (since I was 6000 miles under the lease mileage) but they wouldn't allow it unless I was willing to buy or extend the lease.

Sorry, I tried but for those that are thinking the same thing, u-haul also rents a full open car trailer.

Dee- Its only a 18 month wait for the 4.6 and you will be one of only 500 owners. I agree, the sticker price is a big chunk of change ($69K MSRP). Most dealers are selling them 10K above MSRP....Here's a pic:

·
Registered
629 Posts
My .02, I'm in love with topaz blue metallic, least favorite grey green metallic. in the 4.6i I like that Imola red interior, with black exterior.

Right now I'm partial to the X5 3.0 becuase of the maual trans, but I would be deep in the Dinan and Hartage catalogs as soon as I come back from the dealer.

Yeah triton, there is a huge price jump between the 4.4i and the 4.6i. It seems that the 4.4i represents the "best value" kinda. The sport package is definitly worth the $1600. I was wondering 2 things. Would you take advantage of any of those special programs like the driving school or the South Carolina delivery and drive it back to NYC? and also what do you think of the "Snowflake" 19' rims, stlye 75?

Its interesting that the next logical step for Legend owners is in the BMW direction instead of the Acura direction.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Armayo said:
My .02, I'm in love with topaz blue metallic, least favorite grey green metallic. in the 4.6i I like that Imola red interior, with black exterior.

Right now I'm partial to the X5 3.0 becuase of the maual trans, but I would be deep in the Dinan and Hartage catalogs as soon as I come back from the dealer.

Yeah triton, there is a huge price jump between the 4.4i and the 4.6i. It seems that the 4.4i represents the "best value" kinda. The sport package is definitly worth the $1600. I was wondering 2 things. Would you take advantage of any of those special programs like the driving school or the South Carolina delivery and drive it back to NYC? and also what do you think of the "Snowflake" 19' rims, stlye 75?

Its interesting that the next logical step for Legend owners is in the BMW direction instead of the Acura direction.
I would definately take the driving school program but not too sure about driving it back from south carolina cause thats putting a hefty amount of miles. I love those snowflake rims, those are the ones that my friend has on his. I believe its actually style 63.

Id personally rather go from a Legend to a BMW rather than going to these new acuras that suck alot of a$$.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.