Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks back I installed the beige Iggee Seat Covers in my 91 sedan with Type F interior. The color match was good enough that I did not use the headrest covers. Also, I gave some hints on a previous post for the normal installation of these covers - specifically an alternate way to make the holes for the headrest by carefully using a drill...see... http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111802&highlight=iggee ...Also, see the 2nd picture in this post-the headrest holes look nice and clean.

I have been very happy with these seat covers, except that they covered the controls. Even though the controls are useable through the fabric with the standard installation, the seat base looked awkward and very bulky. After a few weeks it got under my skin.

I needed to find out how to remove the plastic covers at the bottom of the seat. I found directions for Front Seat Replacement at http://www.arnach.net/service/index.php?x=0001&y=805&z=2690&r=

Note - I skipped steps 1 & 2 on these Front Seat Replacement directions, but used steps 3, 4 & 5 to perform the seat control modification.

Below I will detail the steps. NOTE - You DO NOT have to remove your seats to install these seat covers or to do these modifications.

Here is a picture of the ripped seat just for before and after comparisons

Step 1 - Install the seat covers per the standard directions from Iggee, but using the headrest mod I suggested above. I would suggest having these covers installed the standard way for a few days/weeks before doing the seat control modifications. This way you can make sure everything is in its final position before making these modifications.

Close up picture of my issue - the bulky looking, no visible controls seat base

Step 2 - Unclip a few of the straps from the seat cover so you can lift up the needed area

Step 3 - Remove the plastic seat base front cover by removing the 2 philips head screws that are on the underside of the front edge of the seat - you will need one of those very short philips head screwdrivers. Then remove the front screw of the reclining cover and pull it towards you.

Step 4 - Pull the two switch knobs off carefully and remove the knob trim panel by sliding it forward and then pulling it out....no picture, but the front seat replacement directions discussed above sort of show you.

Step 5 - Reinstall the seat cover tensioning straps between the seat and the reclining cover. Return your seat to your normal driving position (memory position), then make sure everything is in place, then reinstall the screw for the reclining cover and then reinstall the plastic front cover and screw it in (all screws will go through the fabric of the seat cover so make sure the seat cover is properly in place)

Step 6 - Verify once again the seat cover is in place and then place the knob trim panel over the knob "studs" to get placement. Push hard to make marks in the fabric for the next step.

Step 7 - using sharp scissors CAREFULLY cut out the 4 holes for the trim panel, as well as the knob studs. DO NOT MAKE THE HOLES TOO BIG. Make sure the holes will stay out of sight behind the trim panel. Start small...you can always make them bigger...you can not make them smaller!

Step 8 - Reinstall the Trim Panel & Knobs. The trim panel is a little tricky to get back on. You need to push it in and towards the back of the seat. You should feel a slight click. You are done!

·
Yeah BABY!
972 Posts
Looks good man. This is good to know.

·
Registered
619 Posts
wow... that's... pretty fuckin cool. might have to think about those for the beater

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great Job!! I did that same thing with my 91 LS sedan. When you do that, the seat covers really look like they were naturally supposed to be there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looks great, I was considering them for my 2 door, but I don't think the the latch to swing the seat forward will work with them.. Anybody have any ideas?

·
is this real life?
1,577 Posts
just wanna say i got my iggees today and i cant wait to put em on.. hot damn they look and feel good.

great job ill def be using this guide

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
nice write up. I'm definitely going to do this when i get my iggees.

I'll have to do it on both sides seats though! :(

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
nice write up. I'm definitely going to do this when i get my iggees.

I'll have to do it on both sides seats though! :(
Thanks everyone...this mod really makes a difference in appearance of the covers. FYI - I recently wrote up a DIY on http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/how-install-iggee-front-seat-covers-124358/#post1293770.

What do you mean both sides of seat? I have a lumbar control on the right side of my driver's seat, but I left that under the seat cover...I never used it after inital set up....unless you mean your drivers seat and your passengers seat. I did both. It is the same process for both.

·
is this real life?
1,577 Posts
i just removed my seats and switches... chose to do it like this for easier access to the bottom panels and im going to shampoo the entire car.

however, if you are attempting this for the first time, the plastic panel that encompases the switches does not SNAP in. You have to slide it forward and then pull it out.. I pried the fucking thing and broke two clips.. although it really doesnt make a difference because the buttons hold it into place anyways.

just thought id share to prevent some frustration.

also, when disconnecting the wires from motorized seats.. the main cable is connected to the seat by a swivel clip. you can just pull this off the bolt that its on... no need to cut it like i did.. DOH!

just fyi

ill post some after pics... after.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Step 4 - Pull the two switch knobs off carefully and remove the knob trim panel by sliding it forward and then pulling it out....no picture, but the front seat replacement directions discussed above sort of show you.
G2RMC :thumbsup: ...you are right, the knobs should hold it in place just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does quanaman still have the Legend for parts??

I tried this with cheaper Walmart seat covers ($50). They looked great but were a bit too small so I couldn't recline the seats and they didn't really sit properly :(. Gave the covers back. Do you guys have any problems with the cover coming off when you recline the seats?

Also I saw quanaman's post for a couple black Legend sedans for parts. How much for a black trunk lid and a front bumper?? My 91 got a "love tap" in the snow a few weeks ago and I ended up losing the driver's side turn signal and the front bumper is scratched up. The paint on the trunk is peeling so I figured it'd be easier to get a good trunk lid rather than prep and paint mine. Keep in mind I'm still in college so don't be insulted if I can't afford to buy them! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts