Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I did some searching here and found out that the problem with my key not turning was more than likely a ignition switch problem.

Downloaded the manual available here bought the part from the dealership and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it installed. I can't find the 2 screws that it says to remove in the manual.

I'm trying to save a tow charge of at least 200.00 and dealer charge of $250.00 to get it done...

Does anyone know of a step by step DIY, hopefully with pictures that can help me out..

The car is a 94 Acura Legend L

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Or does anyone know of a cheaper than dealer mechanic in Los Angeles who can make the repair...

·
Who is THE MASTER?!
1,349 Posts
on a difficulty level with 10 being the hardest i would put this at a 5 or 4... only tools you need is a long phillps head screw driver and a sharp knife or box cutter. on my first try and knowing nothing it took me about 30min to install

locate the igniton column and you will see the ignition switch screwed in behind it. after unscrewing the switch then locate the plug on the fuse panel and unplug it. i used the knife to cut off the ignition the ignition switch making it easier to pull out. its all pretty much self explanatory and no real important details to explain. i hope this was helpful

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok so it's behind it, ok that explains it. The business end of the screws are facing the pedals and not the steering wheel. I saw something like it but I wasn't sure. Looks like I'm going to have to take it to the dealer...unfortunately I'm to damn large to get up under there to do that...I

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
make sure you lay under there and visualize it though...I'm fairly big and I thought I could do it when I saw it (got my buddy to do it though while I worked). just move your seat back and lay under there and look up.

def a good idea to cut the old switch to make removing it easier

·
Who is THE MASTER?!
1,349 Posts
oh I forgot I more thing if you have a aftermarket alarm with remote start then installing the ignition switch will be difficult to install because the alarm wires are hooked up to them. oh yes it is tight down there but it still is a fairly easy install I still don't know why dealers charge so much to install it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I guess so...

Thanks for the help guys I was able to get it off but it's kind of a hassle to get back on we will see how it all works out. At least the key turns now we will see what happens...

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ignition switch

Ok a few weeks back I changed the ignition switch harness on this car. Worked fine for a couple of weeks and now it's back to not working. Anyone have any suggestions. I cannot get the igniton ot turn.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am having fun trying to get the connector to stay "plugged in" at the fuse box. No matter how hard I push on it, it does not want to stay locked in with the tab.

Should I get the hammer out. :rofl:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I had a little trouble with that as well...I used a screwdriver to press in the tab and it finally clicked for me...

I went to the dealer this morning and got another key the valet key worked but the regular key didn't so it seems my ignition is bad...

It seems it's cheaper to take it to a locksmith so i'll do that...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok a few weeks back I changed the ignition switch harness on this car. Worked fine for a couple of weeks and now it's back to not working. Anyone have any suggestions. I cannot get the igniton ot turn.
I got mine in and can't get the key to turn either. :wtf:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I got mine in and can't get the key to turn either. :wtf:
I see you asked the same question on both threads so here is the same answer:

Just make sure that you install the switch harness to the end of the ignition lock cylinder in the correct configuration like the way you removed it before or else it won't turn, ...

·
Who is THE MASTER?!
1,349 Posts
turn spraying A VERY SMALL amount of wd 40 in the key hole. i use to have this problem on my old coupe where the key would get stuck or wouldnt turn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turn spraying A VERY SMALL amount of wd 40 in the key hole. i use to have this problem on my old coupe where the key would get stuck or wouldnt turn.
Is it graphite powder or wd-40...

I'm wondering if I should try that before I pay a locksmith

1 - 17 of 17 Posts