Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the way back from Tennessee yesterday I saw an either 94 or 95 gold Sedan. On just the front bumper the body moldings were not body colored(they were black).

When I first saw that I was like "Oh, he wrecked it and replaced the front bumper with a 91-92 front bumper" but then I looked down more and it was a 94-95 bumper but with the black moldings.

I know the un-body colored moldings only came on 91-92 L and Base models coupes/sedans. Maybe he got it painted black intentionally?;) ;) My guess is that the previous owner of the bumper had a Gold 91 or 92 base or L and wrecked it. They bought a 94-95 front bumper and got it painted the black color to match the other side moldings....:rolleyes:

G

·
Did any of the very bottom moldings every come painted the same color of the car or are all of those that I see custom done. I have the front bumper done like this and sometime soon, probably summer, I think that I'll go around have and the rest of the car painted, I think that it gives the illusion of the car being lower than it actually is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe I can confuse you even more. My all stock '93 L coupe has black bottom moldings all around. And they are hella ugly. I need either a kit or paint!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
koper187 said:
Maybe I can confuse you even more. My all stock '93 L coupe has black bottom moldings all around. And they are hella ugly. I need either a kit or paint!
The black bottom moldings are suppose to be that way. I'm talking about the side moldings.

G

·
He must have had it painted if just the sides of the car were black & the front and rear bumper was body colored... Well to throw in more confusion ALL "L" models ANY YEAR has the black plastic trim around it... I guess thats one of the features that distinguishes an L from a LS... Yes I hate it too! I'm going to try to get that and the mud flaps painted...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thai.95LCoupe said:
He must have had it painted if just the sides of the car were black & the front and rear bumper was body colored... Well to throw in more confusion ALL "L" models ANY YEAR has the black plastic trim around it... I guess thats one of the features that distinguishes an L from a LS... Yes I hate it too! I'm going to try to get that and the mud flaps painted...
Lemme make this straight. Just the front bumper had the non-body colored side moldings. The rest were all body colored.

And you are incorrect about the "All L models of Any Year have the black non-body colored side moldings" Just 91-92 L and base models my friend. :D

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Did any of the very bottom moldings every come painted the same color of the car or are all of those that I see custom done. I have the front bumper done like this and sometime soon, probably summer, I think that I'll go around have and the rest of the car painted, I think that it gives the illusion of the car being lower than it actually is.
Yes. There is only 2 years, and 1 trim level and 1 body style that had all the lower panels paint matched to the car. That would be the 94-95 LS Coupes. All other years, trims, and Sedans are raw black platic like the 91-93 L, and LS Coupes, and 94-95 L Coupes.

G

·
92legend said:
And you are incorrect about the "All L models of Any Year have the black non-body colored side moldings" Just 91-92 L and base models my friend. :D
But hey ... If u are right?? Why is my 95 L coupe have black trim on it...

:confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a '93 L Sedan with the same color mouldings. A couple arent the originals because it was repainted last year, but I have a picture of it when it was new with them being the same color. As a side note I think I recall the price being $160 for new molding + paint each 'cause when it was finished they jipped us on the molding clips that held them on and when the doors opened two of them were bent. They said that it cost them that much to replace em. :)

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:

But hey ... If u are right?? Why is my 95 L coupe have black trim on it...

:confused:
Your 95 L should have body colored moldings, mirrors, and door handles, but the lower panel trim, or lower skirts as some call it should be the black plastic. By body colored moldings, I mean the modlings on the front fender, and on the door. The center line trim ridge on the front and back bumper should also be colored. Unlike the 91-92 L, and base model where those trims and bumoer center line ridge were unpainted just like the lower skirts.

Now keep in mind, those modings are replaceable, so the previous owner could have done so.

G

·
Meep Meep!

Ok this is why I ride the short yellow bus... Yeah I was talking about the skirts on my coupe they are black. The Body trim is the same color as my car..... So you could say all L models have black plastic side skirts stock...

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Re: Meep Meep!

Thai.95LCoupe said:
Ok this is why I ride the short yellow bus... Yeah I was talking about the skirts on my coupe they are black. The Body trim is the same color as my car..... So you could say all L models have black plastic side skirts stock...
Cool:) But you can take it one step further now, as say all Legends aside from the 94-95 LS Coupes have black side skirts :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Simple, it is a repaint. When you get a new OEM bumper, it does not come painted. The body shop simply failed to paint it properly. A very easy way to tell by that picture is to look at the rear bumper. That is how the front bumper should have been painted. My guess is that the owner ripped his bumper off like many owners have on a curb, and he/she needed a new bumper.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ChrisK said:
Simple, it is a repaint. When you get a new OEM bumper, it does not come painted. The body shop simply failed to paint it properly. A very easy way to tell by that picture is to look at the rear bumper. That is how the front bumper should have been painted. My guess is that the owner ripped his bumper off like many owners have on a curb, and he/she needed a new bumper.
Ya, thats what I figured...Just seems like it would be more trouble for the painter to mark off the front body moldings and not paint them to just spray everything...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts