Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI - I'm new and hopefully don't have any problem questions to bring to the table. I just bought an 88 Legend LS Sedan Automatic with 151,000. The deal kicked ass - $1,000. Of course i'm in Northern Minnesota and it is pretty rusty aroung the drivers side wheel well and the seats are crappy, but other than that and the non-working stereo it is pretty solid. The breaks have a little sponge to them - the master cylinder might be going - and of course there is the **** lifter ticking noise. But, nonetheless I couldn't be happier with this car. I was sketchy when I heard the price, but it turned out that he needed to unload the car in a hurry - his international student visa was up.

THe only question I have is what is the deal with Willman's electronics, they are on the web and say they can fix my bose head unit for $85 - is it worth it?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would go aftermarket on the stereo. Even if it is $85 for the head in unit, the speakers usually go bad after being in there for over 10 years. You will probaly end up spending about the same or more for an aftermarket setup. I don't know many ppl that still have there Bose units in their Legends.
Good deal on it though you will probaly need to do some work on it. You can always do the seat cover thing. Or, you can see if you can get some other seats to fit in there. If you replaced the brake fluid it would probally help and I think the lifter problem has something to do with the type of oil you put in it(I think so). Make sure to use the correct kind of oil when you change it. I think it is recommended to use 5w-30.
Gluck with everything.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You will need to buy aftermarket speakers also or reconfigure the wiring on the stereo if you get aftermarket, Bose produces speakers that carry 1-2 ohm loads and these will kill a normal aftermarket stereo. If you need more help let me know, I work part time at a Car Stereo shop here in Japan.

·
Registered
282 Posts
wiring ? stereo

Is the wiring harness the same config on the 98' and the 90'
I just got a 98' bose cd factory unit on ebay to replace my factory 90 bose tape deck -

the back plug is the same.. any clues?

thansk

·
Registered
602 Posts
C25A1guy,
I think all G1's will accept a 6.5 in the front. The 4 inch speakers are mounted in a plastic basket. Take out the basket and you have a 6.5" whole. You may have to rig something up to make them fit. The back of my 6.5's were hitting the window so i put some plastic to space them out some. Just take it apart and play with it for awhile. I think if you cut a ring out of plywood it would work well. Countersink the bolts/screws when attacting the plywood to the metal of the door. Then mount your speaker onto the wood.
And yeah, you need aftermarket speakers with non-bose units. However, for awhile I was running my back bose 6x9's off of my aftermarket head in unit. Then I actually removed the amp from the back speakers and hooked them back up. They worked decently in this configuration. I'm not sure about the ohm's on these but I pushed them pretty hard without my head in unit burning up. They actually hit about as hard as my Pioneer 6x9's I have now. But they had no mid/treb.

dgenchi,
Just get the wiring diagram for both and if it is not the same conector then just sodder the connections.

OK - I hope all that is clear. This stuff isn't the easiest to explain in a few words.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's not too much trouble if you know what you are doing. And, you are not gonna get that much out of a 4" speaker anyways. Also, if you get shallow speakers, you can just screw them in. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hmmm... 7". It would be pretty tight if it did fit. You would have to build it up a bit with plywood. Also, there would be no way you could enclose it. How deep is it? You might want to take off your door and size it up. I would prolly rather make kick panels for it or just go with a very nice 6.5"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.