Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
One Meeelion HP
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love legends and don't mind doing work on them because although time consuming most of it is pretty straight forward.... EXCEPT when it comes to that fucking Y-pipe! I had one on a 95 GS with pre-cats bust my ass so hard today i think I spent a total of 4 hours taking it off and putting it back on after changing the transmission, only to realize after that a ring gasket on the passenger side fell out and I have to pull it again!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is there a special tool to get to the top bolts on either side - factory or aftermarket? I have to use a MAC 3/8 drive 14mm shallow impact swivel socket *AND* a universal to get to them. Anyone else want to rant or share methods post up.

-Matt

·
i love the rear view
591 Posts

·
Type II King
1,230 Posts
I love legends and don't mind doing work on them because although time consuming most of it is pretty straight forward.... EXCEPT when it comes to that fucking Y-pipe! I had one on a 95 GS with pre-cats bust my ass so hard today i think I spent a total of 4 hours taking it off and putting it back on after changing the transmission, only to realize after that a ring gasket on the passenger side fell out and I have to pull it again!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is there a special tool to get to the top bolts on either side - factory or aftermarket? I have to use a MAC 3/8 drive 14mm shallow impact swivel socket *AND* a universal to get to them. Anyone else want to rant or share methods post up.

-Matt
i never take off the top bolts.. if im ever taking off the headers or what not, i just maneuver them out after i disconnect the y pipe merge and the header bolts.

·
i love the rear view
591 Posts
haha!!! i am about to tackle those tomorrow. just LOOKING at them i know it's gonna be a bitch. will let you know how it goes. also my good friend has worked at a honda specific shop for 14 yrs. now so i may have him come over or will at least call him later & ask what the best/easiest method is.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts

-Matt
I use a chrome swivel socket instead of an impact socket, fits a little better in a tight spot like that. Still sucks either way, especially if it's rusted up.

·
MAD DOG!
1,662 Posts
u cant just reach them from the bottom??? i did the obx y pipe after the HG job with the car on stands.... with the lift i did it within 30 mins... what am i missing here??? we're talkin about the y pipe thats between the test pipe and headers right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I thought I was prepared to take these bolts on. I PB blast them 2 days in a row some got into my eye. I got an impact wrench various extensions from 10 inches to 24 inches, unversal joints and swivels. Well after 2 nights of messing with these bolts well just one bolt in particular we all know which one, I found out there just isnt enough room to work under there with just jack stands. Strained neck, bloody nuckles and a whole bunch of profanity later I gave up and drove it down to a muffler shop. Well at first I also heard some profanity then they broke out the torch and the rest was history. They loosen all 6 bolts for me and said come back when you need exhaust work done in the future. I was so siked they didnt charged me for that and just made my whole day. :woot: So I recommend to anyone who have to take those off just bring it to a muffler shop might cost $10-$20 but you have better things to do.

Anyways when I got home I got all of them out easy as pie but the infamous top bolt the stud came out instead of the nut. RangerJoe recommended to replace these nuts and studs. So do I have to go to the dealer for these?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
^ lol i had a similar experience.. i had everything put back together after doing my heads except the little pipe passenger side from manifold to Y. it wouldnt fir because of the studs.. After spending 2 hours drilling one out.. I gave up and took it to the exhaust shop where they torched it and whacked them once with a hammer gave me new nuts and bolts and a gasket and charged me $10..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.