Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an Alpine CHM630 in a 1991 Legend LS. All of the wiring was in the trunk so I just plugged it in. It worked OK, except that there was some weird phase thing happening. The Left side had the full frequency range, while the Right side had only high end and no bass. I figured that I needed the adapter that people mention, so I put in a ACUALP adapter cable. The phase problem was still there, but this time it had shifted to the Right side having all of the bass. Does anyone know which pins on the DIN connector need to be swapped? I heard 2 and 4 but I do not know where to start counting, and if I should be counting on the male end or the female end of the DIN connector. Any tips would be appreciated.
Dwight

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Dwight said:
I just installed an Alpine CHM630 in a 1991 Legend LS. All of the wiring was in the trunk so I just plugged it in. It worked OK, except that there was some weird phase thing happening. The Left side had the full frequency range, while the Right side had only high end and no bass. I figured that I needed the adapter that people mention, so I put in a ACUALP adapter cable. The phase problem was still there, but this time it had shifted to the Right side having all of the bass. Does anyone know which pins on the DIN connector need to be swapped? I heard 2 and 4 but I do not know where to start counting, and if I should be counting on the male end or the female end of the DIN connector. Any tips would be appreciated.
Dwight
You mean the CHM-S620?

Never heard of the CHM-S630.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a CHM S630. Apparently it is new. In fact I ordered the 620 and they sent me a 630 which was $10 more, but they charged me the 620 price.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Dwight said:
It is a CHM S630. Apparently it is new. In fact I ordered the 620 and they sent me a 630 which was $10 more, but they charged me the 620 price.
Not quite sure why the issues, but I have a CHM-S620 w/ the ACUALP converter and it works fine (where before, I had the "out of phase" issue you have now...)......

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
The adaptor should take car of the problem, but if it didn't, then it could be teh wrong adaptor. The #2 and #4 pins that need to be swapped if you go this route is in the CD changers short DIN cable. It is very easy and reversable. If you look at the DIN plug directly head on at the pins, you will see the numbering of the pins. The #2 and #4 pins are located to the bottom of the circle of pins. I dont recall off hand which is whcih, but one of them is the very lowerst pin on the circle in the middle. The other pin is right next to it. I believe it is a black and red wire. However, due to changes over the years, the wire colors could change, and especially since I never say the 630 changer yet. This modification works on all other M-Bus changers up to the 620. But since I haven't had any experience with the 630, I can't garantee it 100%. Although M-Bus is still M-Bus, and I'm pretty sure Alpine would have left it compatible with all the other M-Bus units to I'm fairly ceartain it will work. By the way, are you sure it is the Cd changer that is out of phase and not the speakers? Just a though that I'm sure you already though of and ruled out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input gentlemen. There must have been a change between the 620 and 630 because I checked pins 2 and 4 on the ACUALP adapter with a continuity tester and they are switched, which is correct. I also double checked the stereo with a cassette tape and it worked fine. I had plenty of bass on both channels. Same with the radio - No phase problem. I even went so far as to bring the CD that was in the car in and play it on my stereo just to make sure the CD was not the problem. I am going to pick up a DIN connector at Radio Schack and experiment with some different pin configurations this weekend. Hopefully I will not blow anything up. I let you know what I find out. By the way, I just had the Acura dealer perform the work for the Bose recall about two weeks ago. Made a real difference in the sound.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Dwight said:
Thanks for the input gentlemen. There must have been a change between the 620 and 630 because I checked pins 2 and 4 on the ACUALP adapter with a continuity tester and they are switched, which is correct. I also double checked the stereo with a cassette tape and it worked fine. I had plenty of bass on both channels. Same with the radio - No phase problem. I even went so far as to bring the CD that was in the car in and play it on my stereo just to make sure the CD was not the problem. I am going to pick up a DIN connector at Radio Schack and experiment with some different pin configurations this weekend. Hopefully I will not blow anything up. I let you know what I find out. By the way, I just had the Acura dealer perform the work for the Bose recall about two weeks ago. Made a real difference in the sound.
Just in case, the ACUALP I bought was at:
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERACUALP

Peace
-Jose

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
So, what's the news with the CHM630??

I might get one this afternoon, don't want to get one then not have it work, that would suck =(

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
The CHM-630 is MBus and should work fine with the stock system, as Chris mentioned. Don't see why they would update their MBus being that they're moving towards Ai-net.

I believe that the main difference between the 620 and 630 is CD-RW compatibility.

If you want to be sure, call an authorized Alpine dealer to ask. They should know.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Well, I'm not sure how accurate these people are, but I wrote the "good guys"...

I told them I had a 1994 Acura Legend GS Bose, which is compatible with the CHM 610 / 620, with the ACU-ALP adapter, and asked if the 630 would work as well...I was told the following...

No, the ACUALP Alpine to Acura adapter will not work with the CHMS630 CD Changer. It will however work with: 6 disc M-Bus compatible changers (CHM-S601, CHM-S611, CHM-S620) or M-Bus switchable AI-NET changers (CHA-604, CHA-614).

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Write them back and let them know that the CHM-S630 is an M-bus changer. ;)

Give Automotive Entertainment of Pasadena a call (626)577-1200. They'll know.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
LegendGS said:
Write them back and let them know that the CHM-S630 is an M-bus changer. ;)

Give Automotive Entertainment of Pasadena a call (626)577-1200. They'll know.
The are confusing the CHM-630 (M-Bus changer) with the CHA-634 (Ai-Net changer). They are pretty good however. The did know that the CHA-S604 and 614 are hybrid changers :)

Anyway, the CHM-S630 is a M-Bus. The "M" in the model number says so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I might be able to help since I have the same car and bought the same changer just this past week. (91 Legend LS Sedan, with Bose sound system OEM and now Alpine CHM S630)
The Alpine CHM-s630 is the newest version of M-Bus changer and replaced the s620. Both will play burned discs though the s630 is the only one that states it in the description supposedly since burners were not all the rage when the s620 came online...and it was more picky on type of discs used (music or data) and whether the disc was closed completely as an audio disc when done.
They are virtually identical except for some tuning of the dampning system and disc laser and anti-skip qualities.
As for installation here is what I did: bought s630 for same price as s620. Bought DIN adapter, does not matter much brand (peripheral, radio shack, blitzsafe, P.I.E.) just make sure it is the adapter for Alpine-Honda/Acura for 1992-1998 Acura Legends. They do not list the 1991 Legend as being prewired for the cd changer so some shops will pick the only 1991 adapter they have...and not the correct one which is the one for 92-98 Acura Legends when converting Alpine to OEM Head Unit. Most adapters are 20-30 dollars. Then I took and cut a slot in the plastic bin in drivers side of trunk. Slide the DIN cable adapter once it is attached to the changer through the slot...then slide the changer into the BIN so you can read the face letter and the door is on rear most part of changer. Make sure to set the dampning controls on each side of the changer to the vertical setting so it resists skipping and damage while driving. The sound is great and even with the stock bose sound system I get plenty of bass for me...hard for the wife to boom-boom with her type of music...hahahaha.
No phase problems...no skipping...no moving of the changer...it is perfect. My adapter is a BLITZSAFE HON/ALPV.1 for Legend/Vigor 92-98 (www.blitzsafe.com) but Peripheral and PIE also make the same adapter...one is black, one is blue and the blitz is yellow...hahaha about the only difference.

If you visit www.legendtuner.com and then click on ENTER and then UPGRADES then CDCHANGER under AUDIO ELECTRONICS, there is a step by step tutorial.
Good luck and feel free to email if you need more help...but ChrisK is the man!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dwight said:
What si the Bose recall you are referring to?

·
2,879 Posts
If you're getting a Alpine changer I suggest you get an Alpine CHA-S634 Ai-Net changer. This is an mp3 capable changer and you will be able to listen to hundreds of songs at a time. Get this in conjunction w/the ACU-ALP along with the KC-130B AI-Net to M-Bus adpater.

Me and MC_ have one and it rocks! Works 100% w/stock BOSE system.

·
387 Posts
I got an Alpine CHM-630 with Blitzafe adapter it works good no problem at all. I put it on my 1994 Legend GS and sometimes borrow it and put it on my 1993 Vigor GS. I didn't have any problem connecting it on both cars.:)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have the same problem with the cd changer I get phasing effects from the cd changer. I have two different type of adapters I had tried and one gave me a better result than the other now the phasing is not as bad but I still have the phasing problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts