Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
This job is simpler than every perceives.

What you do is.

1. Remove two nuts on the sprung bolts that secure the A pipe to the cat

2. Remove the nut and bolt combination that secure the cat flange to the exhaust bracket that hangs off the trans.

3. Remove both rubber grommets from the hangers located at the rear of the cat.

4. Allow the exhaust assy to hang down

5. Remove the heat shields that are bolted onto the undercarriage. this is a two piece combo.

6. Be aware that you do not need to support the transmission. It will not fall down - if anything - it will cause the rear of the transmission to move upwards a 1/4 inch.

7. At this point you have crisp clean and clear access to the rear trans mount.

8. I have found that it is easier to loosen the huge through bolt that actually connects the rear trans mount to the trans mount bracket. (when you buy a new rears trans mount - the you must re-use the rear trans mount bracket)

9. There will be 3 bolts secure the rear trans mount bracket to the transmission and 3 bolts securing the rear trans mount to the undercarriage.

I do reference my HELM manual - but at the same time - I don't have it here - so someone may chime in with torque specs - cause every NUT and BOLT on our car has a torque spec. FYI, very important, do not over tighten the bolts that secure both heat shields cause you will POP the heads right off those little bolts. The are 10mm heads and only use 7lbs on torque to tighten them down.

You may also want to use liquid wrench and pray that the sprung bolts are not FUBAR cause those joints are like 18 a piece - bolt, spring, nut are all priced and sold separately.

I happen to use acetylene cause this job can quickly turn into a nightmare without the right tools!

KNLNGUS

PS. Good luck with the swap!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Roger, perhaps someone can scan some directions for you???

And as far as lifting the car on jack stands. Buddy... you should have both the front and the back on jack stands.

KNLNGUS.

PS. I have a HELMS and I don't think there is a page that is "how to remove your rear trans mount." I believe the removal of the rear trans mount is in the transmission chapter and inserted into the "transmission removal" and fitted into the instructions. So with a scan... you would have to extrapolate what is necessary. I do wish you only the Best with the job.... just be prepared that the helms won't tell you that you do not need to remove the cat, nor will it tell you that your exhaust nuts on the A pipe and Cat flange can very easily be stripped and that in all actuallity you REALY should replace the hardware that you remove on the exhaust, nor will it tell you the mm head size of each bolt or nut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts