Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've managed to locate almost all the wires, but I am having a terrible time finding the HORN wire. My paperwork is showing that I have a Blue/Red wire coming out of the steering column, I found 9 in one group and 7 in the other, not one is Blue/Red. Any suggestions, and yes I do have a voltmeter that I have been using. HELLLLLLLLLP!

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
damn u make it sound so hard, ur scaring me man
i ordered mine and it shud be coming on tuesday, i was thinking i wud install it myself, now im not so sure...............i might take it to this 2nd hand car accessory shop that does systems and the hot asian chic there has a pimped out legend with remote start. ill get them do it i guess

how long does it take if u do it urself

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had to do it a second time, it would probably be easy... but if I had to do it a second time, somebody else would be puttin' it in for me. I lived up in Albany one year and I know you ain't thinkin about puttin' yours in until it gets warmer, unless you got a phat WARM garage. It will be an all day (maybe night too) thing! Holla!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Remote Starter

Question for pYmpdaddi or LEgEnD4LiFe,

Where did you order your remote start, what kind of accessories came with it (window modules, factory alarm interface, etc.), and does either one of your cars have a manual transmission. I am thinking of putting one on my car, but I have a 5spd.

Ghost

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 5 Speed also. Of course, since its a 5 speed, it is more difficult to install. You have to disable the clutch harness or somthing so the car thinks that the clutch is down when its really not. You can get a remote start w/ alarm off of ebay for $90.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1338450200

A local audio place quoted me $150 to install it, if I provided the alarm/remote start. They also quoted me $600 on one of theirs, installed. Of course the one they offered was top of the line with the LCD key chain and ****.

Im gonna buy that one off of ebay and have them install it, esp. since its for a 5 speed and I don't even want to get involved with that.

Pete

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
no, once u get in the car u need to put in the key to put it in normal driving mode

i dont know much about remote start for manual except alot of alarm sytem/remote start combos say sumthing like "will not work with manual cars"

by the way i got mines for $180, its the remote start with alarm comes with LCD remote n everything u need. from CMT trading in their online store, but if u want this 1, goto ebay and buy it from them its $165.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
I installed a remote start on my 6-Speed. I had to bypass the clutch interlock system, but that is easy and took about 30 seconds :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:mad:Sorry I haven't replied guys, I was outside trying to install this peice of $#!+. I think I drained my battery while I was installing it. It's about 5 in the mornig here in Cali, but I'm headed out to try and finish up. These frickin wires are all up inside the dash. A cat like me wouldn't install one of these for $40 bucks EVER. I'd be more like the one who's chargin' $600. BTW I only have the trunk pop/starter/factory alarm interface, but I'm sure more to come... I guess I'll holla back when I take a break. PEACE!!!

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe said:
how long did the whole install take you?? and how hard is it ??
should i attempt it myself if i dont have any experience with it??
If you are asking me how long it took, I took about 2-3 days, but that was with putting the car back together each day to do go work. So in reality it was only about 8-10 hours. It took me that long because I was installing my alarm at the same time, and not a single piece of the alarm or remote start unit is located up front under the dash. I had to extend all my wires, and I routed them to elsewhere in the car to make it difficult for thieves to remove. If you look under the dash where many shops put the brain, you will not see anything out of the odrinary OEM wiring in my car. All alarm and remote start wiring is tapped in locations behind pannels as much as possible, and hidden in the OEM factory loom. If I was unable to do this, I used my own wire loom, wrapped it in black electical tape to mimmik as best as possible the OEM look, and tucked that wire assembly up and over OEM wiring to try to hide it. I guess a very knowledable Legend owner who is familiar with the OEM wiring could spot it if they used a flashlight, but I feel it is more then enough to fool most thieves. In order to reach the brain of my alarm, a thieve would have to tear half the inner pannels out of the car to gain access, so that adds a lot of time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This thing actually kind of works?!?! I have a few trouble shooting problems. I must have something connected wrong. The car starts then shuts off after 5 seconds. I've set the run time to 15 minutes, but still the same problem. This is just one of the few problems I have. I'm not closin' up shop until this thing works like a charm. It's just right now I'm a little :confused: . I'm waiting for a tech support callback right now. Wish me luck:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is DONE!!!

This thing is soooo PHAT! I have had this unit for about two years, and tried to install it once during the winter in Baltimore unsuccessfully. Now the time has come and it is a great thing to have. I would suggest one for everyone, but don't do it yourself. It is surely worth having someone else hang upside down to install one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ChrisK said:
I installed a remote start on my 6-Speed. I had to bypass the clutch interlock system, but that is easy and took about 30 seconds :)
ChrisK - I have an 88 coupe 5 speed, and I am desperatly seeking knowlege on how to do this successfully. I have a few questions..

Did you buy an alarm/remote start made for an automatic or for a manual?

What is involved in bypassing the clutch interlock system?

Can you still start the car regularly w/ a key w/o the remote start feature, since youve bypassed the clutch interlock...?

Have you had any problems with the car since installling it and bypassing the clutch ect.?

What kind of alarm is it? Where did you get it? And how much did it cost? (if you don't mind me asking)

The reason why I am so concerned about this is b/c I have scoured the internet for hours and every time I come across this type of installation, it says things like, "It is NOT recommeded to bypass the clutch, the warrenty will be voided...ect.", and I just don't to screw up anything in the install.

You can email me: [email protected], or catch me on AIM: JimmiThing40

Thanks so much!

Pete

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would you happen to know which Green/Red wire is for the Factory Alarm Shut Down (F.A.S.D.)? I know it should be in the driver kick, but which one?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry Pete, I have an automatic. Check with some of the previous posts for maunals:(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is surely worth it for either $70 or $60. Your back will thank you later. I thought I was done, but apparently I need to find another wire to hook my factory alarm shut down wire from my remote starter to my alarm to make it stop alarming. The car starts fine an the doors lock and unlock fine, but I cant seem to figure it out. I've even linked this F.A.S.D. wire to unlock AND lock with the same result. Everyone says its the green/red that shows 0volts while unlocked, but I cant find it. Holla!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts