Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all,

I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with installing a sub or subs directly behind the arm rest in the back seat. I would like to do a couple of small 8" subs right behind the armrest in the back of my 93 Sedan, but I am not too sure how to gain access to the rear.

Anyone have suggestions on wiring techniques or a good enclosure? Tips for doing the install? Does anyone have experience with the stock Legend Bose system with just a couple of added subs and an amp? I want to use my stock deck for the time being (until I find a good double din unit I like), but I was wondering if the sound will be good and clear...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Are you talking about using free-air subs or regular ones in a box? The way I did it is this:
I mounted a Pioneer IMPP free-air 12 to a big azz piece of plywood, then I mounted that to the cross-bars behind the seat. I took out the leather piece behind the armrest and just leave that open. If you've got any questions about it, send me a PM or something.. I think Ben H did this also... i think theres another fellow who's got two 15's back there. The 12 works out just fine for me.. sounds great.. the best part is when you open the trunk and they all say "what? wheres the sub box? where the HELL is that coming from?":D

·
Registered
602 Posts
How does the free air design sound? What amp do you have pushing the Pioneer? I bet you could do the same thing and just build a custom box behind the speaker.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Sh0ck3d said:
Hi again all,

I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with installing a sub or subs directly behind the arm rest in the back seat. I would like to do a couple of small 8" subs right behind the armrest in the back of my 93 Sedan, but I am not too sure how to gain access to the rear.

Anyone have suggestions on wiring techniques or a good enclosure? Tips for doing the install? Does anyone have experience with the stock Legend Bose system with just a couple of added subs and an amp? I want to use my stock deck for the time being (until I find a good double din unit I like), but I was wondering if the sound will be good and clear...

Thanks for the help!
To freeair or not to freeair, we've been dow this road before. Check this thread!!!

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2573

One...

Fut :cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
firestorm said:
How does the free air design sound? What amp do you have pushing the Pioneer? I bet you could do the same thing and just build a custom box behind the speaker.
Its getting 150 watts from a 5 channel Sony that powers the whole system. I think the free air sounds great, despite what others may have you believe. All my buddies think its awesome, and one guy thinks it sounds better than his two 10s in a box. Then again, you may have other judgements based on the music... I listen to mostly rock, heavy metal type stuff, but I listen to some rap and its sounds great with that too... it's just what I need, tight, punchy bass.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hmm. Anyone have recommendations about which subs to go with? Im thinking a couple of 8" shallow subs that do not need much air volume to work with. Can I just use a shallow rectangular box and stand it on the end behind the armrest? I would have the speakers pointing into the cabin with the armrest folded down.

I will be using these with my stock Bose headunit. What type of speakers and amp should I go with for the best sound for the least money?

Thanks for all the info!

UPDATE:
I am looking at a set of Rockford Fosgate Punch 8" in a shallow box. These speakers were set up to go behind a pickup seat so the box is very shallow (about 5.5"). Think that would work ok?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Danny,

The stuff I was looking at was not very good. I believe it was a HE2 or some such. I have heard good things about Audiobahn and Eclipse, so am looking into those. I am NOT putting these in the trunk, they will be directly behind my arm rest with the leather strip removed, facing directly into the interior of the car.

Anyone know off hand how much clearance is back there?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Originally posted by Sh0ck3d
Anyone know off hand how much clearance is back there?
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by HurricaneLegend
hot **** fut whats holdin those bad boys down?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're mounted on 1/2", 3/4" or 5/8" plywood not sure which and they had to relocate the ABS and the TCS units. [email protected] my installer Mobetta for more specs. 310.359.8518

One...

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you're using a sealed box, don't let the sub face through the armrest toward the cabin. From my experience subs in a sealed box facing forward will sound like **** even in a hatchback. If you are doing a single woofer. Have a custom box made with a vent/port in the middle of the box that will line up with the armrest cut away the leather and let all that air into the cabin. You're gonna have almost hatchback effect. But if u do go vented/ported don't get Eclipse aluminums, they are not mean to be used in ported enclosure. I have a pair of 12's that I've tried in a ported box and it sounded like ****. Eclipse subs are very nice loud and clear. The only other sub I would recommend is IDmax. They are not as expensive as the JL w7 but they will perform just along that line. Make sure you have at least 500 clean watts into the Idmax but I would go up to an amp that will do 1000 watts for just the one sub and adjust your gains correctly. A single Idmax will out perform the HE2 with extra to spare. Most people start with very low budget speakers thinking it'll be enough but by the 3rd or 4th month they're gonna feel a lack of bass and will want to upgrade. I always recommend getting the best of what you can afford and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice Danny. One reason that I am mounting the subs behind my arm rest is for looks. For this reason, I would like to be able to SEE the subs...

To get this to work correctly do I have to use a freeair sub? I have seen a G1 setup with the speakers facing into the cabin, but I have no idea how it sounded.

Anyone had experience with setting this up? Does it sound bad? Im not going to be rattling the neighbors windows, I just want some decent base and a custom look (without popping my trunk).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

To get this to work correctly do I have to use a freeair sub? I have seen a G1 setup with the speakers facing into the cabin, but I have no idea how it sounded.

Anyone had experience with setting this up? Does it sound bad? Im not going to be rattling the neighbors windows, I just want some decent base and a custom look (without popping my trunk).

Thanks again!
Did you check the thread I posted on June 19th? I have 2 MTX 15" Freeair
w/zero complaints!!! Here's the March 9th post, it's good reading and just might help you decide.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2573

One...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm......

How about this, Shock.

Custom design a box setup w/ a plexiglass window facing the armrest hole, and on the other side of the box you will have both of your subs installed and visible through the glass. Wire the amplifiers with reversed polarity so that the subs fire outward from the inside of the box towards the rear of your car and now your setup sounds and operates like your box was actually facing the other way. Add a light or two inside of the box for good visibility and effect and viola!

**** Im smooth... :cool: Think I might just do that myself!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Work,

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I will definetly consider it!

Fut,

Know of anyone who makes an 8" or SMALLER freeair sub? What do you guys think of smaller mid-bass subs behind my armrest? Im not going to be rattling windows of neighboring houses anyway, I just want some nice clear bass thats louder/deeper than the 6x9 Bose!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMHO about the 8" free-air sub, I dont think its something you want to inverst money in. The thing you have to think about is what the subwoofer actually is and what it does.

In a standard subwoofer, you have a cone of semi-flexible material that is intended to not only make sound but move air as well. In order to do this effectively, it needs a baffle (i.e. box), which I imagine helps to create a psuedo-vaccuum/air compression effect when the woofer moves inside. In some way, shape, and form, this helps create that unnatural feeling we all love and call bass.

In a free-air application, the sub-woofer is designed and tuned to create the desired frequencies using a much larger baffle, which in this case would be your trunk. This still works because the free-air subs most people use are large enough in comparison to a trunk so they still sound natural. Eights on the other hand --unless you had at least four of them-- you might as well hook them up in an opera house if you were attempting to get bass out of them. Although the more technical term for "free-air" is actually called infinite baffle , obviously suggesting their effectiveness in even the open-air, which I personally don't buy when it comes the eights.

So what will they sound like, anyway? If you have them hooked up to a low-pass filter at the usual 100htz and under, they will basically sound like a fan running inside your trunk and you will feel nothing at all. Almost the same, sh*tty result you get from running two subs out of phase.

My 2 cents, if you desire light, punchy bass from a pair of 8s, then enclose them (ported or sealed would both work fine). Make sure they are powerful subs, though, because the trunk of a Legend is very dense and difficult to penetrate, even with the armrest down.

As far as direction, I believe that 8s would actually not sound all that bad if they were facing forward because they work a higher frequency and the effective wavelength wouldnt need to rebound off of the rear of the car to reach peak amplitude the way 12s running at 50htz do.

Well, I should probably get back to work now :rolleyes: :D .

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

Fut,

Know of anyone who makes an 8" or SMALLER freeair sub? What do you guys think of smaller mid-bass subs behind my armrest? Im not going to be rattling windows of neighboring houses anyway, I just want some nice clear bass thats louder/deeper than the 6x9 Bose!

Thanks all!
No don't know of any. Don't stop at me, look around you just might locate a pair.

One...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok...

Well I am now looking at getting 2 - Rockford Fosgate HE2 model dual voice coil subs. I was thinking of taking WorkInProgress' advice and building a box with a plexiglass window and have the subs facing the inside of the car. I would remove the leather strip behind my armrest and just leave it open so you can see the speakers.

Would I need to reverse the polarity of the amps for this to work correctly? Sorry to say I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to car audio...

BTW: The reason I am going with the HE2 is because I can get them for a good price, and I have heard the 10" model in person. They seem to hit pretty damned hard!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Why go through the trouble of building the box and tearing up your back seat? Just so you can see your subs? Just build a normal box and face it backwards. The sound will be the same.
If you are worried about space, then get a small box with 8's or 10's and port the box. You will be taking up the same amount of trunk space for twice the bass. The bass will also be deeper and it will seem like you have a larger sub. You could even do this setup with the plexi window if you so desired.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its actually not that hard....

To get through the trunk and open up the armrest is probably the simplest thing to do to get more bass out into the cabin of your car. You remove the cardboard carpetting at the back (<5 mins with a screwdriver and pliers), then use the pliers to remove the brass staples holding the armrest backing in place (3 mins) and fold that piece down (time: neglible). I used to have two 12s and the difference was quite amazing --so simple-- and its kinda cool to say, "Hey, put the armrest down and let the bass come through!"

The one thing Im going to warn you about is that I havent found an effective way to pu the leather backing back into place without it falling loose (I had to do this when I thought I was going to sell my car after I sold my subwoofer setup). Its intact now, its just you cant really lean into the armrest when its up or it starts falling through. Hasnt been a big deal, though, since Ive decided to keep my ride.

Reverse the polarity: its when you put the positive wire from the amp and connect it to the negative terminal on the speaker and basically "hook them up backwards." Instead of the speaker firing the traditional way towards you if you were looking at the face of the woofer, it goes the other way (in lamens terms, it presses inward). Now, this will do two things: first of all, it will send the "punch" to the rear of the car, so it can come back into the cabin at full amplitude (power). Second of all, it will actually increase the volume enclosed in your box, therefore you wont need as much and the box can be smaller.

Thats also an advantage over porting your box, because those do require a larger volume for the same sub. Also, before you decide upon porting/sealed, you want to consider what kind of bass you are looking for. I dont know about "twice the bass," but porting does make subs appear to sound "louder" and possibly lower in freq., but at the same time, you are sacrificing sound quality because they tend to sound sloppier as well. Judging by the fact you wanted to get 8s, Im guessing you want to have tight, punchy bass with less low freq. In that case, keep a sealed box.

Bottom line though, if you are like anyone else I know who gets a system in his car, in the long run you are going to hunger for more once you have it. Save yourself some money and pain and suffering and get yourself a setup with some 10s at least...;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice WorkInProgress! VERY helpful...

Well to start out I have purchased a Boston Accoustics 12" 400w and I am looking at getting a couple of the 8" Boston Competition Series as well. I have heard these hit really hard and do not require a very big box.

Thanks for the description of reversing the polarity, although I literally knew how to do it, I was not sure that this actually worked!

For now, porting is out and I plan on running a dual box with a plexiglass window for the 8s (behind the armrest) and a single regular box in the trunk for the 12.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts