Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... Let me start by saying that I'm no painting expert. I'm just a guy with a some spare time and some paint. I would galdly accept corrections on anything which I should of done differently. :D

Tools: "Plasti- Kote" Engine Enamel (resists heat up to 500 degress F) . I used the colors universal red #209 and Clear #229.
Sand paper: 400 and 600 grain.

1- I was able to get an extra cover on e-bay for about $12. You may consider checking ebay or loacl junkyards, so that you have more time to work with and correct mistakes along the way.

2-If not then Just remove the Engine cover from the vehicle by un screwing 4 screws. 3 in the center and one on the top right corner.

3- remove all rubber/plastic pieces attached to the cover.
ie: spark plug wire holder (snaps off)/ rubber cable holder on lower left corner (you may have to break it off due to the age of the rubber0- get new piece form acura)/ Underneath- oil gasket and 0-ring (get new ones from acura)

4- Clean the top and bottom of cover with a product like simple green. the underneath of cover will probably have burnt oil. I just sprayed alot of simple green on it and let it soak in for a few hours- The oil just came off.

5- lightly sand the top of cover with 400 grain sand paper.

6- Clean off the cover in preparation for painting.

7-Tape off the End of the PCV tube, which sticks out of the cover.

8-Lightly spray several layers of paint on to the cover. letting the cover dry for about 20- 30 mins between coats (or longer depending on the time you have to work with). Inbetween coats Lightly sand (600 grain) away any mistakes (over sprays).

9- Apply as many coats as you desire. Since I had time I used 6-7 coats, Continously sanding away any rough spots (With the 600 grade paper).

10- After reaching the desired look, or as error free as possible (applies to me) I lightly sprayed two layers of the clear coat- waiting about 1/2 hr between coats. I visually checked to be sure that the entire peice was covered. I did not sand the clear coat.

11- I then placed my kitchen oven on warm and placed the cover inside. after a few mins I raised the temp to 170 degress F. I let the cover bake for about 10-15 mins, keeping an eye on the paint (making sure the paint didn't start to bubble).
The reason why I baked it was so that the cover won't get discoored after it's installed and the certain sections of the cover get hotter then others.

12-Turn off the oven and let cool.

13- Before re-installing go to acura and get a new gasket (part #1245-PH7-003) and 0-ring (12X2.5) (part #91301-706-000)

I hope this helps

Esti

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the two cans weren't more then $10 and the the gasket and O-ring was about $9.

I'll probably install the cover a few weeks.

And sure you can post it on your site.

Esti

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
yeah where are those pics man?

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah what happened. first off. i thank you for the DIY I was planning on painting the cover but never got around to it yet and the weather is all yucky.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Esti said:
the two cans weren't more then $10 and the the gasket and O-ring was about $9.

I'll probably install the cover a few weeks.

And sure you can post it on your site.

Esti
Sorry to break it to you guys but.....

3-5-02, thats all I gotta say about that.

PS. I dont think its comin. :****:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts