Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for the group here: What do you think about insulating the main relay from excess heat using something like the self-adhesive foam and foil insulation used for home heating ducts? My main relay kicked out on me last week after sitting in the sun all day, and I was thinking about ways of keeping it cool. I figure that the self-adhesive foam and foil insulation may work to keep it a couple of degrees cooler than the interior. The insulation is about 1/4 inch thick. What do you all think?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just shell out the money for a new relay. They are something like $40. It is well worth it when you can't get your car started and you need to be somewhere. Also, your insulation is only a bandaid. Over time the relay will get worse and still go bad.
That thing is very hard to install/uninstall. I would just replace it once and be done with it. Also, the insulation can't keep it cool if it is sitting in the heat all day. Insulation only keeps something at the temperature it is for a lil while. After a lil bit the relay will heat up as well. The interior of the car gets VERY hot. I had a temp gauge in it once when I was cleaning it out and I registered at about 170 degrees.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually have a main relay on order. I was thinking of a little bit of insurance on keeping the new one from doing the same thing in the future. My concern is if the relay itself generates any heat when the car is running.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, just think about it. The relay lasted for over ten years with normal use. If you get a new one it will prolly last longer than you keep the car. Even if you can stop some heat from getting into it in the big picture it will still be fine. You might get 15 yrs rather than 10 yrs. I don't know about you but I plan to have a different car in 10 yrs.
Yeah 170 F. I just got done fixing my AC and left the thermometer stuck in the vent. I was surprised myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.