Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, from what people have told me about the aftermarket intakes for our G2 Legends I have come to this.

The only...I guess you could call them advantages or disadvantages are...

1. Sound
  2. You lose some power in the high end
  3. Looks
  4. You don't gain any horsepower or speed
    [/list=1]

I've really wanted to get one but from what people have told me, an aftermarket intake is not for me....Not worth paying money for something that doesn't help you go faster...

·
Registered
802 Posts
from legend.org
For more unrestricted air flow, an upgrade to an intake is needed. A cotton gauze or foam filter in the shape of a cone connects to an intake pipe. This intake either attaches to your factory rubber intake hose or replaces the entire air filter setup up (rubber hose & factory air box) to the throttle body. The incoming air can by-pass the complex maze of the factory air box, giving it a lesser distance to travel. So expect a better response (if not more power) from this setup. These cone filters can be wash & re-used over and over again, so expect a lifetime worth of use. Installation time might require upwards of an hour. The intake is reported to give an increase of 3 - 12 horsepower, though the higher numbers could be in the power range you hardly need.

example of performance numbers at the wheel NSX example
Comptech's published numbers:
3.0L NSX - (Horsepower at the rear wheel)

Stock NSX : - 235 hp

With Comptech Header/Airbox/Exhaust: - 245-250 hp
With Comptech Header/Airbox/Exhaust/Cams/Heads : - 265-270 hp
With Comptech Header/Airbox/Exhaust/Supercharger: - 300-305 hp
With Comptech Header/Airbox/Exhaust/Supercharger/Cams/Heads: - 315-320 hp

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks... Some of yall tell me your experiences with intakes please.... I mean, is it worth me getting one? Feel more power? Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
92legend said:
Ok, from what people have told me about the aftermarket intakes for our G2 Legends I have come to this.

The only...I guess you could call them advantages or disadvantages are...

1. Sound
  2. You lose some power in the high end
  3. Looks
  4. You don't gain any horsepower or speed
    [/list=1]

I've really wanted to get one but from what people have told me, an aftermarket intake is not for me....Not worth paying money for something that doesn't help you go faster...

1. You're partially correct - a well designed low restriction intake, like RM Racing's unit, makes more noise than stock - as a matter of fact, when the butterflies in the intake (at least on a Type II) open, you get a sound which a stressed small block V8 would envy.

As to losing high end, no. A high flow intake gains HP at high rpms. Coupled with a low restriction exhaust you definitely gain HP. If you keep your stock 2 1/2" pipe (maybe 2 1/4", don't remember) and avoid a 3" exhaust system you'll keep your low end torque. If you go with a 3" exhaust system, you'll gain even more high end power, but lose low end torque.

An internal combustion engine is basically an air pump. The more air in and out, the more heat, that means more power. Anyway, I gained about .3 seconds in my 0-60 times when I switched from a stock intake to the RM Racing unit. After putting a Kone engineering Banzai exhaust on my Type II 6 speed I was doing 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. The RM Racing intake dropped my times to 6.2. The Dinan Stage II chip got me to 6 flat.

BTW, the sound of the intake - that gorgeous intake honk, works for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Easier to clean...

I have a Dragon intake filter with a Weapon R hyper intake short ram. As for power notice, no, you prolly wont feel the extra 5 hp you might get as some ppl claim to have as much as 7 which I think is a bunch of bull. If you think about it, 5 hp out of the car's 200 hp stock numbers isnt much at all, you are looking at less than 3% increase in power....

The reason you would want to get it cuz of the Dragon Filter's Foam core. It's easier to clean, easier for the engine to breathe. Sound wise, once you hit pass 4,000 rpms, you will sound like you hit VTEC mode (which our cars dont have VTEC persay, but we do have another substitute of it). The engine gets loud, but doesnt "feel" any different from any other time. As for looks, Weapon R makes a Carbon Fiber pipe, (which I should have got for $50 more). I paid $150 for my polished pipe. Goto www.dragonintakes.com and order yourself one. You'll feel better that you did. Remember, a car with a clean intake runs better than a dirty one. Replacement foam cores are about $20 a piece. (better than buying a stock one for $45)

Happy Driving

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
I was stuck in the same dilema from the day I got my GS until the day I installed my CAI.

I asked and researched, and the impression I was getting was that short ram intakes had mixed reviews. The only common thread that I found was that noise was increased.

As I didn't care much for the noise, I held off on getting an intake.

After further research and contemplating, I decided to construct the CAI that I have now.

I can't speak about short ram intakes as I have never had one, but I can say that the CAI has proven to be worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I got my intake I didn't notice any increase in power but I did definately notice the engine rev more freely. When I tap the throttle to match rpms when downshifting it will rev a lot higher now than it did before. It doesn't feel faster but just becuase the engine revs more freely leads me to think that it is quicker. I think it was definately worth the money.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Look on the longitudinal bulkhead right beside your stock filter box. See that little opening (about 1"X3"). That's the stock air intake opening. Pretty small, isn't it? Then the air passes through the convoluted resonator in the wheel well/behind the bumper cover. Lot's of pumping losses there also.

I actually like the sound a tube intake gives and it's not very loud. I love the sound when you get on the 3rd intake stage (4000 rpm). My gas mileage actually went up a tad with the intake and Remus exhaust.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
In my opinion....
there was definitelyan increase in mid to high end power as the RAM.
Adding the exhaust increased the feel of this powerband, which follows the theory of ridding of the stock 95lb exhaust.

If you have ever seen all the "stuff" that is incorporated in the stock airbox, you would see that there is a LOT of restriction...if I remember correctly, there are 5 major components involved in the stock airbox, plus the filter!

Now when I modified the intake to be a CAI, I definitely enjoy an even better response throughout the powerband. It is evident as you accelerate...not to mention the barking of my 18" QT's from standing stop and then into 2nd.

IMHO...you will absolutely LOVE IT!
Awesome sound!
Improved gas mileage in some cases

As an experiment, I covered my fog light cover (direct feed to the air filter) and even though the acceleration is still fierce, but was more aggressive with the cover removed.
Go for it.
Just invest in the bypass valve.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
ok here is how it is. I have the RM racing intake i have had it just the intake i had the ram air on there and now its a CAI and i can tell u that if u like racing on the highway put the ram air on there it feelt alot faster when floored from 70mph. The CAI is faster 1/4 mile i can bark 2nds in my 92 automatic wiht 18 and lowered. I have no times to show u but u can trust me. The dragon filter is crap i hear. it sucks the foam and stuff into the throttle body and fu**s the engine up.well thats all i have to say.I have pics of all the setups if u want

--cody

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had the Dragon Intake for 2 years now.. the foam itself is pretty strong and composited. I clean it about every 1,500 miles to to make it brand new and that no particles are bulit up on the filter. It's not a cold air, (but you can get the stage 1 or stage 2 kit from Weapon-R) but it's easier to clean a foam filter. I havent sucked up anything bad into my engine that has made a dramatical difference over the years. My car is a daily driver, about 3k miles a month. I drive a lot, so I ain't kidding when it comes to me cleaning my filter. I also drove with a bent hood that left an opening on the intake side of my engine. The foam filter is dry to the touch and even if the water did bypass the foam filter, who's to say that the gauze-type with CAI wont get soaked as well?? An intake is just a pipe, no real difference in feel of power since most of us are using a stock intake manifold (where the restriction is high). The only difference in power is from the ambient air temperature that you will end up sucking into your engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts