Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well, my next upgrades that I'm planning to do most recently are exhaust, intake, and Koni's. I really want to get some more performance out of my car so I want to do headers too, but don't really know what the situation is with those GB's.

How much added hp can I expect (from what people have got in the past) if I add on a new intake and exhaust? Which is more important of the 2?

Are headers going to give me any benefit without the 2 of those (I was thinking, not enough airfolow for the headers to give any real advantage)?

I have been looking at couple different brands of exhausts, mostly Greddy and Remus... but can't decide which one is better. From the sounds of it, the Greddy is supposed to give more performance (correct me if I'm wrong), but is louder? Well, if that's right, just how much louder is it? Can anyone tell me exactly how much HP they got from either of these brands?

Also, the Greddy is a full catback... what does that mean? Does it give added performance? If, it is real important then how can I get it done with the Remus too if I wanted to go that way, and would it end up costing more than the Greddy if I did that?

Does the Greddy drone, at normal cruing speeds? Is it ever obnoxiously loud? I just want an exhaust an intake that are going to make noise when I get on it (but not excessively loud).

I would love to hear some suggestions of other brands that may not cost so much but give the same good performance, and are quiet (relatively speaking).

Now, on the intake side of things.... what are some good brands? Which gives the best performance? What should I look for? I'm pretty sure that I want to do cold-air... and I was looking at the Weapon-R one, but then my friend told me definitely not to get it. Anyways I know almost nothing about intakes so any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks you guys! (sorry for so many questions)

·
Registered
180 Posts
i only read the first part, i say intake its better for your acceleration, and exaust is more of a top speed thing.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Weapon R is good.
It is Legend Specific. The one that was faulty is the OLD Dragon filter. Stay away from that one!

Intakes free up restricted power by the removal of the stock resonator and airbox and allllll that other stuff. Rams are good for approximately 7-8hp and CAI for 10-15hp.
I have the Weapon R and before I modded it for CAI, I surely enjoyed the "seat of the pants feel", not to mention the sound you get when you hit 4k rpms! She was really moving.

Exhaust frees up restricted power as well....not to mention that the Legend's stock muffler is like 300lbs!! (j/k) But its is HUGE!!!

A catback (Greddy) for instance is just a muffler and a 2.25" or 2.5" pipe from the catalytic convertor to the muffler (hence the term "catback").

You should be able to see gains anywhere from 5-15hp, depending on what you get. Some say that you lose low end torque with Remus, but gain on top end, and others say you gain low and top end on the Greddy. It's all about personal choice....the Remus can be made into a catback at any muffler shop...they may charge somewhere around 100 - 120 to dso the labor and parts. So, if you get the Remus for $430, then look at spending about what you will on the Greddy for parts alone.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Intakes free up restricted power by the removal of the stock resonator and airbox and allllll that other stuff. Rams are good for approximately 7-8hp and CAI for 10-15hp.
What is the CAI one that you were talking about? Is that a brand, and where can I go to buy them, how much do they cost? Anybody know where I can get the best price :D?

What does this mean:
I have the Weapon R and before I modded it for CAI
Is a CAI some component that works alongside an intake?

One last question..... It sounds now like the Greddy is the one that I want to get, but I have one more question; what does it sound like? Obviously its not going to be as quiet as the stock muffler, but is it going to be really loud, and will I be able to hear it when I'm crusing on the freeway, or anywhere else for that matter? I want a muffler that you can only hear when you are acclerating, and if it does make any noise then I want it to be so quiet that it won't be heard over my music. Thanks for the help you guys.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
CAI is cold air intake the filter of the intake hangs in the front bumper taking cold air in when u are moving. Its great i just did mine ttoday it only cost like $10 but u have to buy an intake first from Weapon R or RM racing like i have. It helps alot i have a 92 Coupe automatic with 18in rims 215/35 tires and lowered and it will bark 2nds now its crazy.Get the remus exhaust with the greddy piping haha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are these the only two companies that make Intakes for our Legends? Or are there any other ones out there? Is there one that is obviously the best?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think Stromung also makes a Legend specific but if you ask me they are all way overpriced. All a muffler is is a perforated pipe with a bunch of sound dampening material wrapped around it. The main things that will affect how quiet it is is the length and the makeup of the dampening material. If you get a well made muffler neither the length or the material will affect the flow so you should get one as long as possible to make it as quiet as possible. Our stock mufflers are about 21" long and you can fit up to a 22" muffler under there if you really want to cram it in. I got a 18" and it's perfect. I really want to find a legend with either the Remus or the Greddy and compare them to mine to see what they sound like. Sorry this is so long but I hate to see people buying things without really knowing what they are paying for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts