Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done degreasing the engine bay - mmmm clean. Also used silicone lube on all the hoses and plastic parts to get them black, looks excellent.
Check it out, with the new intake just fitted...

Images take a long time to load, sorry about the shyte server

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=62220

also took some wicked mpegs of the intake sound from inside the car at WOT and over the engine bay - wish I could post those they sound sweeet. I took an MPEG with the airbox cover off before I fitted the new filter and the sound difference is noticeable.

cheers

rich:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
can you auctally hear the filter work at low rpm's? i have a 2door coupe 1990 also, and you wont hear it kick in untill you reach 4000rpm's. Its a obx filter, im still waiting for some tubing in so i make my intake.

here are some pictures of my legend also.
www.geocities.com/teamnamiek/cp1

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can make out the induction noise from outside the car, and from inside the engine is throatier and deeper, the real noise starts at around 3500 revs, it howls!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey libido tony
Just took a look at your pics, we've got pretty similar setups, right down to the filter on the stock pipe and the same aftermarket shifter (except I wrapped leather around the carbon fibre bit).
It looks like you still have some of the stock intake piping behind the headlight - any reason you left that in?

looking good

richard

·
Registered
180 Posts
oh yes.....I did not want to take off my bumprer to get rid of that. And also....it allows air to go through from the bumper....But it will be off for more room.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Great Clean Engine Bay!

I love that clean engine!

I feel I can eat off it!

Nice work!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Re: Great Clean Engine Bay!

TALRUDEBOY said:
I love that clean engine!

I feel I can eat off it!

Nice work!
There's nothing wrong with injesting some automotive grease. I do it almost everyday. Work on race engines, go home with hands fairly clean, but still somewhat greasy and eat with hands. I'd say it makes the food taste a bit better. hehehehe.:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
makes the food taste better?
how's the wifes cooking ?? (JK)

seriously, I went waaay overboard on the engine. but it only gets a clean once a year, plus I wanted some sweet shots now the filter is on.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
89LCoupe said:
Just got done degreasing the engine bay - mmmm clean. Also used silicone lube on all the hoses and plastic parts to get them black, looks excellent.

also took some wicked mpegs of the intake sound from inside the car at WOT and over the engine bay - wish I could post those they sound sweeet. I took an MPEG with the airbox cover off before I fitted the new filter and the sound difference is noticeable.

cheers

what did you use to clean it and how :) thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used a good quality degreaser, (Aussie brand name wont be much good to you). Make sure its a good foaming one rather than the silicone type cheap ones, as they dont do a good job.
If you do a search there are quite a few how tos posted, alhtough the key is to plastic bag all the electricals well (dist, alt, fusebox etc), spray degreaser on, wait, hose, use a stiff brush to get caked on crud off. I espec recommend using some silicone protectant on the hoses as degreasers tend to strip the plasticiser and make them age faster, also looks great when you've armouralled the hoses and plastics.

·
Registered
405 Posts
89LCoupe said:

cheers

in the pics how did you clean the bumper lenses? mine are pretty pitted and foggy. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
180 Posts
humm...........yeah thanks for all that good info...But whats the name of the Degreaser?!?!?!! =P Or do steam cleaners work well and what brands are the good ones.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
regarding brand of cleaner - Im in australia so I'm not goiing to be able to help you, other than to say the mid price ones are the ones to go for, the very cheap 2 bucks a can ones are silicone based and are shyte, the medium priced ones seem to use good degreasing agents.

regarding clearing/cleaing the bumper fogs I used several grades of fine wet dry (1500, 2000, 3000, from memory) and water to polish the lenses. The difference is huge, at first with the rougher paper they will go opaque and you need to keep sanding until you have all the dings and scratches out, then work through the finer paper until they are clear again. This will also work on plastic headlight and corner housings if they have started to go milky, although I havent't done mine yet.

cheers

Rich

·
Registered
180 Posts
oh really?
you used the engine foam cleaner stuff?
i thought you used a steam cleaner.........=X,
about how many cans did you use on the engine?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Did you completely remove the blinker system form the bumper? I think the bumber fog is an excellent idea. I cant place your pic but it looks good

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I used the cans, I'm not to keen on steam cleaners as hot water promotes corrosion. 2 cans is plenty for a complete clean, including the oil pan area, you should have some left over to do the rims.

regarding the bumper fogs, Theres a tutorial and legend tuner which explains the wiring system - it's basically a few relays and some simple wiring off the corner driving lights. I found the best plan was to leave the stock indicator harness alone and tuck it into the bumper, a few spade connectors on the ends of your custom wiring actually connect to the back of the bumper light assembly so you can have a separate system for the fogs, and if you want to replace the indicators you haven't cut any stock wires. I need to connect a few dummy bulbs to the stock harness as the indicators are at 2 x speed - which looks a little crazy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts