Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i plan to buy eBay Motors: 91 92 93 94 95 Acura legend V6 Short Ram Air Intake (item 140221634360 end time Apr-08-08 15:00:49 PDT)
which is the cheapest i have found.. question is which of these K&N Universal Clamp-on Air Filters for a Variety of Universal Air Filter Applications do i buy with it? I did a search and everyone recommend K&N. i plan to get the k&n and get the injen hydroshield for pre-emptive measures... anyone ever do this? and would i have to buy another one of those blue (coupler?) to fit the filter to the pipe? thanks guys... and um girls?

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be that the conical are better, this is just what fit well on mine. Here is a pic from when it was on my parts car.

hey when you removed your oem filter box... was there like a big hole where the box use to sit on? i thought i saw someone post a pic that there was a round hole underneath where the filter box use to be... if there is i was thinking of buyin one of the 40 degree flange angles and facing the filter downwards.... or do i have to core out a hole? and anyone use the injen hydroshield? any comments on that?

·
Registered
643 Posts
hey when you removed your oem filter box... was there like a big hole where the box use to sit on? i thought i saw someone post a pic that there was a round hole underneath where the filter box use to be... if there is i was thinking of buyin one of the 40 degree flange angles and facing the filter downwards.... or do i have to core out a hole? and anyone use the injen hydroshield? any comments on that?
yes if you get the pipe to go down through the hole it would be considered a true CAI. if you have it positioned in the engine bay like Ari_One's pic thats considered a short ram.

·
i love the rear view
591 Posts
here's a pic of the actual hole in question...

& here's a pic of a filter on the other side of the hole in the fender well getting genuine cold air (on an rl but the setup is almost identical to the 2nd gen legend)

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
^ Did you cut off a piece of the inner fender cover? Don't you worry if water splashes it?

·
i love the rear view
591 Posts
actually no. i guess it's just the angle of the pic but the filter is actually covered pretty good. i'll tell you i don't believe in all that hydrolock stuff - here is how i used to roll in the 91' until it was garaged (bhg'd - haha) - & i mean roll in heavy rain & puddles ...

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Damn lol.

·
i love the rear view
591 Posts
^^^ yea l4zy - i mean i've heard people say they've "heard" bad stories of hydrolock or their "friend" or "cousin" had it happen to them but i have yet to have read a thread here where someone states "hey- i got hydrolock in my engine & here's why/how...". and the general description i've gotten on it - by 4 or 5 pretty experienced guys on this forum & 2 of my friends that are pretty mechanically-smart is that it IS NOT going to happen unless your air filter is 100% submerged under water. And from my personal experience, regardless of what others may say or have had happen to them, going through big puddles & driving in heavy rain did not do a thing, & this is with the 91' setup pictured above - & if there's a setup more prone to catching ANY water in the air or on the ground, i'd like to see it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
^^ ive seen personal stories on this board about it happening to G2's. i remember once incident the dude basically fried the engine and it wouldnt run after he hydrolocked it.

but yeah the conclusion seems to be that it must be submerged completely in water to ingest it into the throttle body.

the short answer is: its not likely to happen, but just driving on a dip or big puddle on a rainy day can f*** you up. you NEVER know when bad luck is gonna strike. me, i value my baby enough to equip her with the only thing known to prevent hydrolock if it occurs, which is a bypass valve. $45 or $1000? your choice.

·
AKA Carlton I3anks
2,581 Posts
^^^ yea l4zy - i mean i've heard people say they've "heard" bad stories of hydrolock or their "friend" or "cousin" had it happen to them but i have yet to have read a thread here where someone states "hey- i got hydrolock in my engine & here's why/how...". and the general description i've gotten on it - by 4 or 5 pretty experienced guys on this forum & 2 of my friends that are pretty mechanically-smart is that it IS NOT going to happen unless your air filter is 100% submerged under water. And from my personal experience, regardless of what others may say or have had happen to them, going through big puddles & driving in heavy rain did not do a thing, & this is with the 91' setup pictured above - & if there's a setup more prone to catching ANY water in the air or on the ground, i'd like to see it.
PM the user OCTANE, he hydrolocked his coupe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts