Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I drove the 2001 RL to dinner. When I went to start the car after dinner, it wouldn't crank over (plenty of battery power). It reminded me of a problem with the Main Relay, from years ago, so I disconnected the main relay and plugged it back in and it started!
The next day, it happened again: it wouldn't crank over. So, I ordered a new Main Relay. While waiting for the new part, I tried starting the car and it cranked over and started fine.

I disconnected just the gray connector to the main relay and the engine cranks, but won't start. I disconnected just the black connector to the main relay and the engine cranks, but won't start. Even with BOTH disconnected, it will still crank (last week it wouldn't).

So, this is making me wonder if something else is responsible for the intermittent, no-crank problem. Any experience with what else could be the cause?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure if this is your problem but I have something similar on my 2000 RL. Sometimes I turn the key and I get nothing. This also happened on my previous car, a 94 Legend. It was the ignition switch but, I have had this issue for a few years and all I do is turn the key back and try it again. Sometimes turning the steering wheel a little, will also allow it to turn over and start. Eventually I will replace the ignition switch. I hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if this is your problem but I have something similar on my 2000 RL. Sometimes I turn the key and I get nothing. This also happened on my previous car, a 94 Legend. It was the ignition switch but, I have had this issue for a few years and all I do is turn the key back and try it again. Sometimes turning the steering wheel a little, will also allow it to turn over and start. Eventually I will replace the ignition switch. I hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks for the helpful reply!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved???

It seems it might have been the battery. A couple of weeks later, it wouldn't crank over because of a low battery, but jumping it with a jump-starter battery got it going. After putting the battery charger on it, overnight, it still wouldn't hold a charge. But, it would still start reliably with the jump-starter battery. I didn't suspect the battery because it is only 2 years old.

After getting a new battery, it has started every time since. So, I think that may have been the problem, though I can't be sure because it's an intermittent problem. If it hasn't occurred again, in a couple of months, I'll consider it fixed with the new battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts