Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does abybody have those covers that are invisable to cameras and at certain angles? How do u guys like it?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are they illegal?

How can they sell them. They sell them with intent to be invisable.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
All I know is that they are illegal in NY because the toll way cameras cannot get a picture of them because of the glare from the light. After a while, the outside gets dull, yellowish, and looks horrible. I wouldn't invest in one... unless you were an criminal or somthing.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Highly illegal. However, I understand their purpose. Those Red-Light cameras are a joke. My mom got a ticket on one of those cameras, the light turned red for one tenth of one second.. that's 10/100ms .. LOL

Light turned from yellow to red while in the intersection for her. The thing is she said unless she had SLAMMED on the brakes, there was no way to stop before the yellow light hit. She went to court, and tried to fight it, about the tenth of a second (isn't that less then an eye blink?), and that it posed a greater hazard if she would have slammed her brakes.

The judge said he understood, and she wasn't guilty... but she still had to pay the fine.

When she went to traffic school for it (after the $300 fine) they told her the judge can't find you Not-Guilty and still make you pay. But it's too late, because it would take a lawyer and around $500 to battle it again. lose lose situation. She just took the traffic school, payed the fine.

By the way, i think in some other countries they're starting to remove these cameras, after 5years they found they're starting to cause more accidents then they're suppose to prevent.

We live in Southern Cali, watch out for those Cameras :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
all the states do with the red light cameras is get more money. they make the time between yellow light and red light shorter so more people run them and they get more money. it also causes 2 times more rear end accidents from people slamming on there brakes. it is just another way the government and the states are screwing us over trying to make some money. i definately am getting a plate cover and replace it if it gets yellow i mean they are like $5

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
if u'r in fulton county, you will get pulled over. i got pulled over every time i went out on the road when i was there. i asked once why people sell it if it's illegal. the cop said the stores are no responsible for any misuse of products.
i say put it on until you get caught.
=)

-j

·
Registered
702 Posts
i think all those kinds of plates do is get you pulled over every time a cop sees you. i don't believe they actually work they way they say they do. check this site out:

http://www.ettm.com/news/foil_photo_cop.html

they say they did some research and every time they (camera and cops) were able to get the person's plate number even with the invisible plates on...sometimes simply by adjusting camera focus or something like that.

cuz think of it this way....say you were in photo class and you get a distorted picture....there are ways to enhance the image and focus it more...so same should be true for covers that distort license plates....not worth it to risk i think.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I'm not a criminal.......muhhahaha

legendarith said:
All I know is that they are illegal in NY because the toll way cameras cannot get a picture of them because of the glare from the light. After a while, the outside gets dull, yellowish, and looks horrible. I wouldn't invest in one... unless you were an criminal or somthing.
Seriously though, have u ever not acted, or not do something u wanted to do because u were afraid of someone getting ur liscence plate, even if ur justified in doing so? Sometimes cameras don't catch the whole story.Just like the Red Light Would you slam on brakes if it was raining and you had a 18 wheeler on your ass going 50 miles an hour?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I've got them:D but i've yet to try it out........maybe i might at the 400 Toll near buckhead...ohh ohh i hope esti doesn't see this:eek: ....:D Hey Aiznpride did u mean Fulton County GA?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
LoL,

I don't know if any of you remember my mom getting a ticket and all for those red light cameras. She insisted the light hadn't changed yet.

Well yesterday they announce on our Local News that a SPECIFIC intersection camera had been off by about half a second. Enough to cause a court ruling to refund, over 1,000,000 in collected ticket fees back to ppl charged for 'em. It's the one she got ticketed on lol

Also they are suppose to cover court cost, traffic school cost. More than likely this applies to my mom. The classic part is, she looks at me and says SEE! I WAS RIGHT

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
I'm planning on making a hinged license plate holder connected to a small 12V linear actuator (The type you find in any car audio store) and when you push a button it will slant the plate down so the red light camera can't view the plate. Now, I know that you can never really anticipate when you might get caught by the camera, but the idea is that you flip it down anytime you go through that particular intersection with cameras and you feel the light might change on you. During normal traffic hours that chances that you run red lights are rather small unless you are a crazy driver, but during light triffic or at night is when you generally decide to take more risks and try and beat the yellow light. This is the time you hit the button or switch. Once you release the switch it returns to the normal position. While this may not work 100% of the time, it probabaly will save you many times. My state is just starting to get back into the red light camera idea again after a failed first attemp. In our state the laws specify that the intersections using the cameras need to have signs posted warning that a red light camera could be used at that intersection, so we don't have to worry about evey traffic light we pass. Take a look at Japan VIP magazines and you will see many of their photographed cars have tilted plates.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the reason for the invisibilty of the license plate is to run red lights without getting your picture taken, then try to duck when u pass thru the intersection. Just an idea. :D I learned in traffic school that when your picture is taken when you run a red light, the big guys down at the station review the pictures. 4 pictures should be taken: front, back, side to side. The front and back are of your plates, and those side views are to be taken of the driver, and if the picture doesn't catch the driver's pic well, then it means that the driver made it out of the intersection in time to NOT violate the running a red light violation or lack of evidence because they have the license plate number, but no clear picture of the driver. So either duck, or wear a mask. Halloween is free running red light day.

P.S. if you DO actually try to bust this stunt and get yourself caught, don't come runnin to me. heh.

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
i dont get it, if stores sell this item and the cop says they arent responsible for the misuse of the product, there is something wrong. The product was made for the intent of the user to try and get out of a traffic ticket etc. I dont see how its a misuse when its made to make the plate "invisible". We used to have them in new york but we did it to keep our plate clean:giggle:

·
Registered
628 Posts
not quite sure what the law is here in colorado, but i know tons of people that have them here and i have never heard any of them talking about getting pulled over for it. now that i think about it, my girlfriend has one of those and i've been with here when she's been pulled over a couple of different times (speeding and headlight out) and the cop didn't even say anything about it.:D

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
orange soda said:
If the reason for the invisibilty of the license plate is to run red lights without getting your picture taken, then try to duck when u pass thru the intersection. Just an idea. :D I learned in traffic school that when your picture is taken when you run a red light, the big guys down at the station review the pictures. 4 pictures should be taken: front, back, side to side. The front and back are of your plates, and those side views are to be taken of the driver, and if the picture doesn't catch the driver's pic well, then it means that the driver made it out of the intersection in time to NOT violate the running a red light violation or lack of evidence because they have the license plate number, but no clear picture of the driver. So either duck, or wear a mask. Halloween is free running red light day.

P.S. if you DO actually try to bust this stunt and get yourself caught, don't come runnin to me. heh.
It all depends on how your county or state sets up the cameras. The system that was appealed in my state didn't matter if you can see the driver or not. The ticket simply goes to the registered owner. It didn't even matter who was driving the car. Also, law enforcement didn't run the system, but rather the state DOT workers ran it. Of course, they were on a separate payroll and a private company actually provided the equipement, training, and gets a set amoung anually from the revenue obtain from the tickets. Now you can see that the measures some of us take are not so we can run red lights or speed at will, but because the system in itself is bogus and just there to make money and has nothing to do with safety. This legislative session they are trying to revive the red light camera portion of the failed speed cam/traffic cam package, so I don't know what the new system will be like if it even passes at all. Also, our state tint laws allow up to 35% all around excluding the windshield. Those who run reflective tint can surely get away with not getting clear pictures of the driver if that was a requirement.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Okay, my friend did something like this, but he was a little more technical. He used to go around and do crazy **** in his car. When he would come up to an intersection or someone was trying to write down his plate, he would push a button, and minuture blinds would go down right over his plate, so they could not get the #. If you just pictured it as a window with horizontal blinds, that is exactly what it was. Smart guy he was.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i dont see why it would be illegal. i mean, we have the right to drive with radar detectors so that we have a fair warning of a cop ahead. why shouldnt we have the right to protect ourselves from a camera... also, some people just have the clear plate covers and i thought that these only protected you from a camera so that when the light reflects off of it you wont be able to see the letters... so, if thats true, you wouldnt be able to get caught because a cop wouldnt know unless he took a picture... then again i could be wrong... but who cares, i was just looking at one of these and i definitly want it because they just installed camera on the I-10 from baton rouge to new orleans and i drive there all the time and that camera radars you, then sends you a speeding ticket.... so, yeah, thats horrible for me cuz i have what my mom likes to call "a heavy foot" :D so~ where can i get one from?! i want it.

then again, for those those of you arguing against it... i see that side of the story as well. not for the cops though but because the main reason their being installed down here is to try to catch the baton rouge serial killer. theyre trying to catch a picture of his truck when he goes to dump the bodies between lafayette and baton rouge. so, in a way i think this is a bad thing because what if he has one?! then they may never catch him. :( that would suck.

but i still want one for myself. :D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Actually some states don't really allow you to use radar detectors. I believe the law in California for example says, you can have a radar detector, but you can't have it on...

LOL!

·
Registered
483 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Actually some states don't really allow you to use radar detectors. I believe the law in California for example says, you can have a radar detector, but you can't have it on...

LOL!
well, isnt that the gayest law evar! LoL

well, we can use radar detectors and signal jammers if we want...Those come in handy!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts