Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be lowering my car in a couple of weeks using the Koni/H&R set-up. The front Koni's will be set on the stock perch (1.5" drop), and the rear on the upper perch (.75" drop). My question is, can the alignment be adjusted to be perfect, or will I need to buy the camber kit? I am riding on 225-55-16 Tires. Thanks for the input.

Lankan

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
oh yeah. In my opinion anything over 1.25 or more needs cambers kit. But some of the other members may beg to differ. Lets see what they say. After you lower it with the Koni/HR, drive it for a week just to let the new hardware set in, then get an allignment and see what the mechanic says, but I'm sure you'll need a camber kit of some sort.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CakeDaddy

Is your car lowered, and if so, how much? also, do you have the camber kit?

I am also hoping that I get some feedback from some of you that have lowered your car @1.5" and don't have the camber kit? And as a result if you are getting uneven wear on the tires?

Thanks,
Lankan

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have RSR lowering springs on my car and they dropped it 1.5 inches......and before they were on my legend they were on my brother's legend for 4 months .......no probs whatsoever

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Lankan said:
CakeDaddy

Is your car lowered, and if so, how much? also, do you have the camber kit?

I am also hoping that I get some feedback from some of you that have lowered your car @1.5" and don't have the camber kit? And as a result if you are getting uneven wear on the tires?

Thanks,
Lankan
My G2 Coupe will be lowered with Eibachs. 1.1 inch in 1 month or so, and I will get it re-alligned a week or so later. Now, I had a G1 Coupe a couple of years ago and it was lowered 2in to 2.5 inches and DAMN. my camber slowly degraded. When I got it re-alligned there was no hope for adjusting it. And over the period of a year or so my front tires wore on the inside. I replaced the tires every 9 to 10 months due to that. GET A CAMBER KIT, PLEASE. You'll sleep better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
DrDre1443 said:
I have RSR lowering springs on my car and they dropped it 1.5 inches......and before they were on my legend they were on my brother's legend for 4 months .......no probs whatsoever
4 months really isnt long enough to tell whether you really needed the camber kits or not.....its really a matter of opinion, I personally would definitely have the kits put in, any time you change the height of the car you're throwing off the alignment in some way, without camber kits over time you'll start eating up your tires (how low you go depends on how fast they wear down) the only positive side to it is that if you lower the car without the camber kits you'll be able to corner a little better, but you'll also lose traction off the line when racing cuz your tires are not firmly planted on the ground upright (again the degree in which you are affected depends on how much you drop the car)

I would say get the kits if you want a trouble free ride and dont want to keep replacing tires every 10,000-20,000 miles

G

·
Definitely get camber kits. I lowered my car 1.85" with the Eibach + Koni setup and my camber was thrown way out of wack. I suppose that if you were just doing Eibach springs or just doing Koni Struts on the low perch you would be fine. But if you are doing anything more with say just H&R springs you would be fine (make sure that if you do this that you also get the Koni struts because the stock ones can't handle the stress from the spring rate of the H&R's). If you are doing a camber kit then you should get the Ingalls 3572 for the front and 3893 (I think that that's what it is) for the rear. You can also do the 3573 for the front which uses Rubber instead of the higher performance polyurethane bushings. The nice thing about rubber is that it doesn't need to be lubricated nearly as often.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
WhenI had my R-Spec springs that lowered may car over 2". I defiantely had to get a camber kit, but I don't recall how much correction I needed to get back close to zero. Now, I have the OEM springs on the low perch of the Koni which yields about a 1" drop up front, and I needed a 1.5 degree camber correction to get back to zero. Now, the OEM spec range is up to a negetive 1 degree, so a mild drop will either keep you in the outer edge of the spec, or just outside of it where you may not need a camber correction. But, if you want to get back to a zero degree, you will need a camber kit no matter how little you drop the car.

·
Registered
760 Posts
while on the subject of lowering.... if i lowered my car 1.5" whats everything id have to change? would the mechanic who installs the springs/shocks change anything that needed to be changed?

-brandon

·
Registered
62 Posts
i need help

Hey cakedaddy, or anyone else that can help. I've noticed the inside of my tires are wearing down quicker than the rest of the tire, so i took it to get checked out and the mechanic said the camber was messed up and he couldnt adjust it. i havent even lowered my car yet, but i do have some rims on it. Is there any camber kits for my car, or any way i can get the camber fixed? or is my only option to redo the whole suspension? Oh, i have a G1. thanks guys

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, thanks for all the informative replies! That really helped me out. After reading all the posts, I think I'll get the camber kit for the front, as I really can't afford to be changing tires very often. I feel the rear camber kit is not necessary as I will only be droping it @.75" back there.

AZN Ac, I was getting my tires rotated, and the guys at the shop noticed that the inside of my tires were also wasting a little faster than the rest of the tire (and I did get a 4-wheel alignment done when I bought these tires about 1.5 years ago). The only inexpensive solution would be to take the tire off the rim and flip it, so that by the time the other side wears down, you will probably need a new set of tires. I recommend you get a camber kit when purchasing your next set though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thai the cheapest I found in ATl for the camber was $99 each at the Chestnut Bridge "Kauffman Tire". I believe tat we could get it way cheaper for the 3557 kit. It is with a 3 degre correction. Let me know if you want to get it so a could work a better deal with them.

G

·
banel

so 99 each would mean the front and rears are each sold seperatly or 100 for the front and 100 for the rear?

I would probably get them after I come home in May...

·
Registered
62 Posts
banel

hey banel, do you know where i can get a camber kit for a G1?
and how much?

·
Registered
29 Posts
im not exactly the most knowledgable person but bear with me here :) can you just get your car aligned and thats the end of it? or will it keep getting unaligned which is what the camber kit is for =/ and do they make camber kits for g1?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:
where can I buy a camber kit for my G2 Coupe for cheaper than 300$ for front and rear?????
Dayum.....did you go to Beverly Hills Tire or sumthin???

the kits should only cost around $80 for front and another $80 for the rear

·
Registered
109 Posts
ibane37 said:
im not exactly the most knowledgable person but bear with me here :) can you just get your car aligned and thats the end of it? or will it keep getting unaligned which is what the camber kit is for =/ and do they make camber kits for g1?
Even with camber kits you will still have to get your car realigned every so often, when the car is driven around every turn you make and bump you hit will eventually cause your alignment to stray

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
past_acura_owner,

Where can you get the camber kits for that price?? Maybe that's for the G1. The cheapest I found so far was $130 for the front camber kit from shox.com.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Hey AZN

AZN Ac said:
Hey cakedaddy, or anyone else that can help. I've noticed the inside of my tires are wearing down quicker than the rest of the tire, so i took it to get checked out and the mechanic said the camber was messed up and he couldnt adjust it. i havent even lowered my car yet, but i do have some rims on it. Is there any camber kits for my car, or any way i can get the camber fixed? or is my only option to redo the whole suspension? Oh, i have a G1. thanks guys
So, you have no OEM spring and shock and you camber is off, right? If that is the case I'd recommend getting a total suspension upgrade. New shocks and springs. Its odd that the mechanic re-alligned your car and stiil not in spec, even with OEM shox and springs. I mentioned I had a G1 coupe, but I cut my Eibachs to lower it 2.5 inches. My camber problem was due to the cut springs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts