Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at OhMyGodItsDanny's car with his new Andy's Autosport kit (the same one I have) and the 2-tone leather (on it's way to my house :D), I was seriously considering removing the tint on my car so I could show it off as people walk past my car, etc, etc. I was just curious to know if it's difficult to remove and if there any chance of damaging the glass during removal???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tint removal

I watched the guys do mine a few weeks ago and it looked fairly simple, of course, my old tint was thicker than Mr.Magoo's glasses.
Depends on the thickness. I imagine the real thin stuff could be a pain but not impossible.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Spray bottle with water and soap in it, start pulling the tint from a corner very slowly, (spray exsposed window) spray and pull, spray and pull, the more water and soap the less sticky glue will remain on the window. Once the tint is off, go back and spray window again and with a credit card scrape off any glue that remains. If all your back windows are done it will take about an 1hr or so I've done 2 cars its easy.

Oh yeah don't worry about the rear defroster lines they won't come off when you pull the tint, and make sure you lay a towel across the back seat and deck things can get very wet.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Goo be gone. I'll have to remember that cause sometimes man that glue can be very stubborn. Thank's Legend Bro...

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
I just did my side windows and I just peeled it all off then went over the windows with a non abrasive scratch pad and rubbing alcohol. Worked great! I am just afraid to do my back window because of the defroster and I think it will get peeled off? I hope you guys are right about it not coming off. Input?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
full_stealth said:
I just did my side windows and I just peeled it all off then went over the windows with a non abrasive scratch pad and rubbing alcohol. Worked great! I am just afraid to do my back window because of the defroster and I think it will get peeled off? I hope you guys are right about it not coming off. Input?
I have some input. I was looking at my OEM Legend handbook thing a while back and remember it saying. "When cleaning back window, don't use up and down strokes with the cloth, use horizontal strokes so you don't mess up the defroster lines. I think this should apply to use a hard credit card to get glue off. For the back window, I would honestly take it somewhere and get it done right instead of taking a chance. Or...just take your time and use horizontal strokes....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah just take your time, and if you use a credit card, just take it easy on the D-lines, the better the solution used the easier you'll be on the back window. Like I've said, I've done it on two of my cars in the pass (Camery/and the Vigor) and I had no problems when using my rear defroster. but if your uncomfortable doin that you can always pay someone eles to do it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have another viewpoint as well... In my experience, Leather ruins much much faster, even if it has conditioning than a car who has leather + tinted windows. Tinted windows really protect the seats against that sun.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
In case you do not wish to do it yourself and couldn't be bothered and rather have the risk of damaging the rear defroster on the burden of someone else, I would suggest Tint King.

I had them remove my old ****ty purply tints (which came with the car wheN i bought it) and had them install the highest quality tints they had which were these metalic ones.
Anyways, to remove tints (on a coupe though) they charged me $90.

New tints look sweet now though, I went darkest in the back and rear corners and went the one below darkest on the sides (not really legal but can be convincable). I have a thing for black coupes with black windows :D

Good luck with your tint removing man!

G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts