Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of friends got some 4th gen Trans Ams. One LT1 and the other LS1.:hitit: :yes: We had a discussion on whether or not these are some of the best bang for the buck perfomance cars for the money in stock form without paying more than 15-20k. What do you guys think? Anything else with 330+ hp, an intimidating presence, and similar performance for less than 15k without any mods? Sofar I can only think of a couple but they're so rare it's unlikely.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
that they are.

People typically dismiss Z28s and T/As but they're damn amazing cars, and they're reliable as hell. might not be the most sophisticated, or the best handling, or even nicest to be in. They do, however, hold their own in creature comforts and can squarely plant a foot in your ass if the timing is right.

I'd rock the hell out of an 02-ish Camaro Z28 6spd.

That said....

Without the "intimidating" presence. There's hardly anything that can shine on a Turbo Volvo S70 5spd. You can get them for around 7-10k add another 20 bucks to the mix for a boost controller and you've got a very powerful car.

·
I swag it out...
1,893 Posts
^^ leave it to u to find a 'maro with foreign plates.

But I agree, that one looks mean

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm Turbo Volvo S70 5spd. I never knew that. I like sleepers.

As if that Camaro didn't look evil enough they added a triple 6 plate. :hide: :hitit:

The only thing I could think of is an older Skyline Gt-R 32 but it would probably cost more than 20k and more on top to ship it. :no: Plus it doesn't look as mean.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The only thing I could think of is an older Skyline Gt-R 32 but it would probably cost more than 20k and more on top to ship it. :no: Plus it doesn't look as mean.
You can get an R32 for around $6,000. That includes shipping. And what to mean it doesn't look as mean?! The R32 has one of the meanest front ends around!

But really... Camaros are hideous! That's just my opinion on styling though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A couple of friends got some 4th gen Trans Ams. One LT1 and the other LS1.:hitit: :yes: We had a discussion on whether or not these are some of the best bang for the buck perfomance cars for the money in stock form without paying more than 15-20k. What do you guys think? Anything else with 330+ hp, an intimidating presence, and similar performance for less than 15k without any mods? Sofar I can only think of a couple but they're so rare it's unlikely.
Are we taking street performance, drag performance, or track performance?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get an R32 for around $6,000. That includes shipping. And what to mean it doesn't look as mean?! The R32 has one of the meanest front ends around!

But really... Camaros are hideous! That's just my opinion on styling though.
Wow 6k? I didn't know that. I agree it's looks are subjective.

Challenge: show some mean R32 pics please. :D

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are we taking street performance, drag performance, or track performance?
I'm talking street and drag. Not necessarily track because, even though F-body's can be some of the best handling cars with some mods, they can be a hand full in cornering because of the torque and rear axle setup in stock form.

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
Miata + Body kit + 93 Cobra /w or w/o supercharger + new clutch/suspension/tires - Got a guy who goes to meets with me that has one that runs low 11s - 10s if he gets a new clutch....I'm thinking he could build another one for less than 15k. Even with the extra weight it still out handles any american boat.

-Ed

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
^Compared to a Miata anything else that's not a Mini is a boat. lol
I am talking stock because, even though there are a lot of ways to get 350hp for 15k, there is a lot of work, tools, and trial and error involved in such a project. How long did it take him to build that Miata?

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
Am i the only one who paid attention to this?

Are you guys sure you're not thinking of a regular R32? the R32 GTR is a neo classic in Japan. they're sky rocketing in price.

You cant get into one for under 20k to your door. PLus you can't even register or insure the car legally for road use in the united states. Overall Skyline=poor choice in this argument.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gunmetal gray looks nice on that R32. It looks very slick, just not intimidating. The R34 on the other hand has a 1000 mile stare that is very imposing.

But from what I know the R34 costs much more than 20k!

Don't let the "small" exhaust tips fool you they let out big sound.

I'm not a fan of scoops but this one pulls it off, plus most are functional. Looks like it's saying "yeah I got scoops what the hell you goin do about it?" ha And in the back of your mind you know it can back it up.

·
acura-legend.commie
2,498 Posts
that they are.

People typically dismiss Z28s and T/As but they're damn amazing cars, and they're reliable as hell. might not be the most sophisticated, or the best handling, or even nicest to be in. They do, however, hold their own in creature comforts and can squarely plant a foot in your ass if the timing is right.

I'd rock the hell out of an 02-ish Camaro Z28 6spd.

That said....

Without the "intimidating" presence. There's hardly anything that can shine on a Turbo Volvo S70 5spd. You can get them for around 7-10k add another 20 bucks to the mix for a boost controller and you've got a very powerful car.
my g/f's dad has a 99 camaro SS with the LT1 engine, ive never seen it run, because it blows distrubitors, but apparantly, it hauls ass. it sits pretty mean, even with alot of the clear coat gone.

·
0 Posts
You can only think of a few cars under 20k that would put down 300hp? I will agree LS1's in anything will be a great bang for the buck, as well as older mustangs (10k total into the car including price of the car can be a 10 second car), DSM's (simple and easy to mod), 240sx (either keep the stock engine or sr20), civics, anything can make 300hp with a 15k budget. Personally I would do a retro 944 porsche

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can only think of a few cars under 20k that would put down 300hp? I will agree LS1's in anything will be a great bang for the buck, as well as older mustangs (10k total into the car including price of the car can be a 10 second car), DSM's (simple and easy to mod), 240sx (either keep the stock engine or sr20), civics, anything can make 300hp with a 15k budget. Personally I would do a retro 944 porsche
We are talking stock. Even though there are a lot of ways, modification wise, to get 350hp for 15k, there is a lot of work, tools, and trial and error involved in such a project.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts