Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: I just used the forums search tool and typed in "main relay","fuel pump" and I have noticed that the heat(up to 170 degrees) our Legends take, could or is causing the main relay to fail under those extreme conditions.
When other Legend owners had trouble getting there car started, did you also get a blown fuel pump fuse??Because thats what happens to my Legend as I try to start, the fuel pump fuse blows. This happend to me the first time on July 4th, a very hot and humid day. I also read from one of the other Legend owners that the heat will sometimes expand the main relay causing it to break apart the connections.:confused:
I did not get a chance to check if it is the main relay.Hopefully I can find it. Also I did check the fuel pump. I disconnected the pump then connected again and then the car starts, but a few minutes later, the fuel pump fuse blows again , and car does not start again.:confused: So its either the main relay or fuel pump right?? Man, I can't even get my car to a mechanic!!All ready paid a fortune getting towed when the Legend died on me July 4th!!
:( :( Starting to dislike the summer!!:mad:
Any suggestions??
Jay
1991 Legend sedan

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I would start by checking the fuel pump. To do this, you need to remove the back seat and the maintenance cover. My thinking is that you may have fuel line obstruction and/or bad pump motor. The relay is actually two; and one being bad (relay two which is supposed to cut off within 2 seconds of start-up) could also trip the fuse.

There is a note in the HELM: If the car starts and continues to run the main relay is ok. With this note in mind, perform the following:

When you first turn the ignition to ON do you hear the fuel pump motor activate for about two seconds then shut-off? Does the fuse blow just after this? Could be problem with the second relay.

There are four fuses in the fuel supply circuit: No 5, No. 22, No. 25, and No. 14. The fuse numbers are those in the under dash fuse/relay block and the numbers start at the bottom of the block and progress up. Thus, No. 1 is located in the first row, and from LT to RT is the first one. No. 5 is second row, third in from the LT, No. 22 is top row, first one; No. 25 is a 30amp, first one adjacent to rows 5&6, and No. 14 is 4th row from bottom, 3rd one in. So.....which fuse are you blowing?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.