Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
yes #15 is the iacv, but if you wanted to confirm thats the problem while the car is runing tap on the black plastic part and see if the idle changes or even unplug it. Good luck

·
has left.
4,520 Posts
Definitely try cleaning the IACV before replacing it.

Furthermore, my dad was having similar problems and it was because of a VERY SMALL leak in the cooling system (not even enough for him to notice coolant anywhere or anything).

Have the system checked for leaks... I'd sooner suspect a small leak than I would IACV failure.

·
Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
FITV is the one you should be looking at. it regulates the idle during cold startup... using the coolant temperature. as temperature rises the valve/plunger closes. its purely mechanical..

the IACV / EACV whatever you want to call it is ECU controlled... more or less to maintain idle speed. having the ports clogged up you'll probably just notice a shitty idle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FITV is the one you should be looking at. it regulates the idle during cold startup... using the coolant temperature. as temperature rises the valve/plunger closes. its purely mechanical..

the IACV / EACV whatever you want to call it is ECU controlled... more or less to maintain idle speed. having the ports clogged up you'll probably just notice a shitty idle.
What is the FITV ? Is it the Fast Idle T? Valve or smth like that ?

·
is this real life?
1,645 Posts
same problem here... is there any way to properly diagnose the cause of this?

i cant find the fast idle valve anywhere.. can this be cleaned too?
is there a part number or diagram ?

edit: think i found it...

fast idle valve
^ is that it??

now to find a digram!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yes, that is the IACV. Before replacing, check the fast idle valve. A number of people have fixed their cold start high/fluctuating idle problems by popping the cover open and tightening the valve by 2 turns.

You can also check the operation of the fast idle valve as follows:

To check the Fast Idle Valve:
(Info from HELM 1992 Service Manual, page 11-85)
Start engine. Remove hose from large black vacuum pipe going to the Air Suction Valve (located next to Fast Idle Valve). Put your finger over the pipe and check for vacuum with the engine at idle; cold and coolant temp below 86 degrees. If no vacuum felt, valve defective, replace and retest.
Warm-up engine until cooling fans come on. Check to see if the valve is completely closed. If not, air suction can be felt in the valve pipe. If any suction is felt, the valve is leaking and the valve must be replaced. Retest with new valve. * Courtesy LPB. Checked mine using this method when i had the same problem. Adjusting it solved it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.