Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just had new inner and outer tie rods replaced. I had it on a lift yesteday and noticed both tie rod boots were not clamped on. You could push them back and forth exposing the tie rods to dirt or whatever. From what I saw The rods will have to be taken apart again in order to put new boots on. Which means I also have to get another alignment.

Just wanted to know if you guys know any way I could get new boots on without taking eveything back apart.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
You do not have to get an alignment. Lightly score where the bolt is before you take it off, then when you put the arm back on, turn the bolt to the exact location. No alignment necessary.

Other than that, NAPA may have a universal split boot kit, but the ones I have seen are for CV boots.

Note: If you had this done by a mechanic, they should do the work (correctly this time) for free anyway including an alignment, even if it is not necessary.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried that last year on my other legend. I marked the tie rods, put them back together to the exact spot. I got 600 miles down the road and saw how the inner tire was going bald. I should have gotten the alighnment. It only takes the alignment to be 1-1/2% off to have bad toe wear. I'll figure it how somehow. Its just my beater so I,m not really that worried.

· Registered
122 Posts
I just replaced my outer tie rods and the rack and pinion. From what mechanics told me, the inner tie rods require a special tool which you can get, but make sure you have the proper fittings. The outer tie rods are a piece of cake (look around here for a link once posted to the factory service manual). The inner tie rods are connected to the rack and pinion and depending on the age of the rack and pinion, you may save money in the long run by just changing the rack and pinion(which brings new inner tie rods) now, rather than doubling on labor costs if it goes bad after only changing the innner tie rods. I also changed my ps pump. I am very pleased, did it all myself and the steering is wonderful! As for alignment, get it done, some major tire shops give you a warranty on the alignment, no questions asked; they will correct it for the life of the warranty. I originally had it aligned three months ago, been back twice for re-alignment and this weeked when I changed the rack and tie rods, I told them it was pulling left big time. THey didn't ask any questions and re-aligned it (I did not tell them I had just put in new rack and tie rods). SO go for the warranty, it'll save you money if you have to take it back. It's the worst portent when you see you're tires are wearing unevenly and the rest of the tire is still in great condition; you'll be buying tires more often than you should when you could have just shed the $65.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.