Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a price quote for:

disc plate $208.61
pressure plate $216.77
pilot bearing $36.29
throw out bearing $160

total $621.67

Here is the kicker!! Flywheel $1159.00
(this is without labor...D4mn...my CRX was only $250)

It seems a little steep, but I wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks

g2girl

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Here are prices from Acura of Augusta :

6speed LS 93 coupe:

pressure disc $173.42
bearing $122.38
friction disc $ 166.89

rear motor mount : $119.78 (might as well replace it if you havent so far)

flywheel : $927.20

www.augustaacura.com

-Jose

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
RICDOGG said:

resurface the flywheel & aftermarket clutches might be cheaper.
Resurfacing the flywheel is not an option in the 6speeds, per the experts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I re-surfaced my 5-speed flywheel, seems ok...but it looks like next time I'm going to have to shell $1k to get a new one. Anyone know of any alternative flywheels, aftermarket, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Legendary91L said:
I re-surfaced my 5-speed flywheel, seems ok...but it looks like next time I'm going to have to shell $1k to get a new one. Anyone know of any alternative flywheels, aftermarket, etc?

Thanks.
I have an inkling that doing that for a 6speed is not an option.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have an inkling that doing that for a 6speed is not an option.
If that's really true then that just plainly sux! I mean it's bad enough that clutch set cost more than $500 and on top of that $1000 for flywheel excluding labor?? dang imagine doing that every 2-3 years especially if you're racer.

Looks like I gotta wait longer than expected to get my clutch done.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The HELM does provide service limit specs re flywheel runout which IMO indicates that the flywheel could be resurfaced. There is no mention in the HELM of the flywheel automatically having to be replaced when the clutch is disassembled. Whether or not to replace is usually based on degree of scoring of the surface.

·
Registered
744 Posts
LPB, greetings - you are right about the HELM containing run out specs - however, according to my knowledge - those specs are designed to indicate replacement not resurface. I'm not too sure if you have seen a dual mass sprung flywheel but... you would understand why shops have tried to resurface and have either failed, had to do it by hand X many many many many hours (and I mean it would take a **** good shop that would even touch a project like that), or claimed they did and didn't do it right.

I talked with several shops, Clutchmasters, and Acura and they will NOT resurface a 6 speed flywheel.

To all those out there - LPB is right - you do not need to change the flywheel out (automatically) with a clutch job. Unless there is tooth damage, scoring, constant chirp NOT related to the throwout bearing or flyweel bearing (which would indicate warpage) - your flywheel is fine.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
120 Posts
Legendary91L said:

Thanks.
Don't worry for the 5-speed it's more in the $350-$400 range.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
KNLNGUS said:
I'm not too sure if you have seen a dual mass sprung flywheel but... you would understand why shops have tried to resurface and have either failed, had to do it by hand X many many many many hours (and I mean it would take a **** good shop that would even touch a project like that), or claimed they did and didn't do it right.

I talked with several shops, Clutchmasters, and Acura and they will NOT resurface a 6 speed flywheel.

KNLNGUS
You hit it right. Dual mass flywheels cannot be reworked to spec. Once it's out of spec you replace it.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Well, well, I learned something new today. I haven't played with a clutch since 1970 and my 69 Z-28. I knew there was a reason I gave up strength training of my LT leg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.