Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I've been having this minor problem with my brake pedal. Whenever that I stop, I can feel the brake pedal sliding/pulling down under my foot, like something is pulling it. It's kind of weird. Does that mean my brakes are bad? Or is it related to my clutch?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
^ +1
Does it firm up if you pump it a few times? Then I would say the master cyl is most likely the problem.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
^ +1
Does it firm up if you pump it a few times? Then I would say the master cyl is most likely the problem.
+1 on master cylinder. If it is doing it intermittently and also if it does not firm up every time you pump it it could be an overextended/leaking piston and/or line. How is the color and level of your brake fluid (clear, dark, low etc)?

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
master cylinder is bad.

*sigh

i knew it, cause mines like that too.. sometimes im scared i cant brake :p hahah
does anyone know if its an easy fix? if i can get my hands on parts, and do i have to bleed the system?

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
master cylinder is bad.

*sigh

i knew it, cause mines like that too.. sometimes im scared i cant brake :p hahah
does anyone know if its an easy fix? if i can get my hands on parts, and do i have to bleed the system?
Easy is relative depending on your skill but the master cylinder is a DIY imho, yes aftermarket parts are available. OEM new is $210 at DelRay. (eBay Motors: 91 92 93 94 95 Acura Legend Master Cylinder - NEW !! (item 370042519068 end time Apr-20-08 19:12:15 PDT)) and yes you have to bleed the system thoroughly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 on master cylinder. If it is doing it intermittently and also if it does not firm up every time you pump it it could be an overextended/leaking piston and/or line. How is the color and level of your brake fluid (clear, dark, low etc)?
Last week, the tank was low and I refilled it. The fluid color is sort of dark. Id say it firms up most of the times i pump it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Last week, the tank was low and I refilled it. The fluid color is sort of dark. Id say it firms up most of the times i pump it.
How low? Was there any in the master cylinder at all? If not, you may have sucked some air into the system. Also, if it was very low, you are either loosing fluid due to a leak at a caliper or elsewhere, and/or your pads are almost worn out. Either way, you may want to try checking the pads and bleeding the brakes to see if that helps. You should bleed your fluid out every few years or so anyways.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How low? Was there any in the master cylinder at all? If not, you may have sucked some air into the system. Also, if it was very low, you are either loosing fluid due to a leak at a caliper or elsewhere, and/or your pads are almost worn out. Either way, you may want to try checking the pads and bleeding the brakes to see if that helps. You should bleed your fluid out every few years or so anyways.
My fluid was very low to the point that the brake check light was coming on now and then. I Added some fluid...I didn't know I had to bleed it. Since then I've been having this issue with the brake pedal. How do i bleed it?

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
errrrm, bleeding brakes.. heard it can get messy and fatal to ur cars paint huh? i paid my mech 45$ to do it for me .. phew

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It is pretty easy actually. There are other posts about it. you can either do it with a helper inside the car, or if you buy a vacuum pump at the parts store, it is easier and you can do it yourself. The bleeding procedure (which wheel to do first, etc) is on the online service manual on this site.
It sounds like you possibly could have gotten air in the system which would create a spongy feel to the pedal. But again, there would usually be a reason why the fluid got that low. Just worn out pads should not be enough to let the fluid run dry in the master cylinder.
Yes, you don't want fluid on your paint so you must be careful when dealing with it. But, I bet you would be more careful than some local mechanic ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking there might just be a leak somewhere. I doubt it's my master cylinder. I'll have it checked tomorrow. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts