Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I filled up my gas tank last week or so and i got 245 miles to the tank. Is that average? It seems kinda low to me

Help would be appriciated!
Well, I usually get 260-270 per gas tank. There's a better way of calculating gas mileage though. So, fill up the tank, set the trip odometer to zero. Drive it around until the tank's almost empty. Re-fill the gas tank. Note how many gallons were put in. Then divide the miles on the trip by gallons noted from the gas pump. Voila, you got mpg. Assessing gas mileage via "emptying" a tank is invalid because you can't always tell how empty it really is. The way I described above is more objective.

·
3.52 ..Chicken & Dumplins
3,200 Posts
This depends on your drive habit
are you a stoplight hero or lead foot
where do you drive around town or highway , a/c running while driving around town.
Your average is about 16-18mpg ..
That seems low but then I got 200 miles to the tank once using 103 octane and driving with a lead foot. . I get over 300 miles to gas light (about 3 gals left) on 93 octane normally though driving city & highway combined (manual transmission).

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Well, I usually get 260-270 per gas tank. There's a better way of calculating gas mileage though. So, fill up the tank, set the trip odometer to zero. Drive it around until the tank's almost empty. Re-fill the gas tank. Note how many gallons were put in. Then divide the miles on the trip by gallons noted from the gas pump. Voila, you got mpg. Assessing gas mileage via "emptying" a tank is invalid because you can't always tell how empty it really is. The way I described above is more objective.
True. I note how many gallons I put in when I say I run it near empty. That's how I knew it was near empty. I've only done that a few times just because I wanted to see what I would get for a tank.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have kinda of a lead foot i guess. When i am with buddies or something

Now that gas prices are so high in my area i try to drive more conservatively

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
As far as I am concerned 245 miles on a tank is normal for an automatic. That is similar to my 1991 automatic depending on how low I let it get.

But like has already been said many times, this is not the right way to compare fuel efficiency. There have been many posts on this subject. Here is one. http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/horrible-gas-mileage-117858/#post1218105

Point of reference - During this past winter I got 16.7 mpgs routinely (I calculate every fill up). I changed the air filter - no effect. It got warmer and it went up to 17.6 mpg. Just changed my plugs and got my best yet 17.72 mpg.

Government Changed Legend EPA MPG's

The government recalculated our window sticker mileage to meet new standards.

1991 Acura Legend Auto - was originally 19 City/23Hwy (20 Average), but it has been lowered to 17 City/21 Hwy (18 Average)

1991 Acura Legend Manual - was originally 18 City/26 Hwy (21 Average), but it has been lowered to 16 City/24 Hwy (19 Average)

Compare Old and New MPG Estimates

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.