·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my legend (cold) the idle starts on
1800rpm goes down to
1500rpm within 20sec.
1000rpm within 2-3minutes
and ~650 after it has warmed up completly.

as its an auto transmission I really don't like to shift to drive
before idle goes down well below 1000rpm.

Lots of trafficlights nearby also!! reckon it's not good for my tranny!

Is this normal ? Would loosening the negative pole on battery ,
for lets say 20 min. do the trick?

anyone?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
perfectly normal.

my idle might actually be a little too low.. around ~400RPM or so. Originally I thought it was 300RPM but I hope I was seeing things, hasn't happend again...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK , hope my tranny accepts it also!!

..eehh..or do I sit and wait until engine has warmed up?

I have never owned a car with auto tranny before
so I'm a bit concerned about the "clonks" when i shift
to drive with such an high idle.

(wouldn't be a problem with a manual gearbox)

thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Re: OK , hope my tranny accepts it also!!

Mange said:
..eehh..or do I sit and wait until engine has warmed up?

I have never owned a car with auto tranny before
so I'm a bit concerned about the "clonks" when i shift
to drive with such an high idle.

(wouldn't be a problem with a manual gearbox)

thanks for your help guys!
How long you should wait can turn into a debate for some, you don't want to run it right away, you want to give the engine some time to pick up oil lubrication. However, you also don't want to wait too long.... I usually wait 3minutes (but don't quote me, I don't have the years of driving experience like many others on the board).

Can't really say much about the clunk. I will recommend one very important thing however, if you're not sure what kind of transmission oil is currently in your automatic, I would get it changed to HondaATF. It made a big difference for me, the shifting was a lot smoother.

·
Registered
398 Posts
high idle...

i know that the computer controls the idle and it is completely normal for the car to be idling high, then low. when you start the car, it purposely idles high, to warm up faster. notice after a minute it always drops lower, then lower, because it recognises the warming of the engine. this was all done to benefit the driver, idling high to save you time, and warm your car. pretty cool, huh?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
In the summer when it's warm outside, I let it sit for about a minute to get the lubs flowing through then drive it. I don't drive it past 3000rpm until the engine temperature is at normal operating temperature.

In the cold winter days, I let it sit for about 3 minutes to get the lubs going through and do the same thing, don't drive it past 3000rpm until it reaches operating temperature.

G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts