Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
You can get the 42 offset to fit, you just may need to roll your fenders. I personally wouldn't go with that low of an offset as I have said before, but other members have gone with that offset with no problems. If your car is full though, expect some rubbing.

As for the second question with 18s I would go with 225/40s, or possibly 215/40s, but I am not sure with that 7 inch width.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
infinite said:
You can get the 42 offset to fit, you just may need to roll your fenders. I personally wouldn't go with that low of an offset as I have said before, but other members have gone with that offset with no problems. If your car is full though, expect some rubbing.

As for the second question with 18s I would go with 225/40s, or possibly 215/40s, but I am not sure with that 7 inch width.
The 18x7s I use with a +40 Offset are sitting on 225/40s now and no rubbing (all stock suspension). Sorry! I meant to say +40 not +50 like in the original post [hold on, will change it in a sec].

So, what's a good offset to have a flush look with the fenders and side for 18x7.5/7 or 17x7.5/7?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
check my sig.. no rub and flushes exactly with the fender.
 
G

·
Im getting 18X7 w/ +40 offset. If you are lowering Id'e say go w/ a 215/40/18 tire to be on the safe side... (I'll be lowering w/ Konis and H&R's)


I can tell you the results in about a month...:D
 
G

·
How about

18X7.5 w/
+45 offset on
215/14/18's
will this work on a 95 Coupe that's gonna be lowered on H&R's And Konis...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leon Millette said:
225/45/18 is too high of a sidewall for a +40mm offset, especially if you are lowering it.
I am doing 18x 7.5 +42mm offset on 225/40 rubber, no rubbing, lowered 2". I am considering GC's now...so I will be more flexible in the future
Nah, I don't intend on at this time lowering the car. I don't think they even make 225/45 18s in any decent set of tires. I mentioned that because I notice they make 225/45 17s and if I were to buy 17x7 or 17x7.5, I'd get that tire size. But, the problem with 17s now is that there are no good designs that I like out there that are made in 17x7 or 17x7.5. They only make'em now in 18x7, 18x7.5, 19x7.5, 19x8, and 20x8. The strange thing is they use to make'em in 17x7 and 17x7.5, but the price was just way too high for a 1-Piece rim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Legend95 said:
3pc Work rims 18X7.5 +45 offset 235/40, h&r springs ... Koni shocks.
235/40? That's a wide tire. No rubbing? Wow, I am impressed. I've got to see your setup. Where in SoCali are you? My work is in Pomona area, I frequent Norwalk/Carson areas, and I live in the Irvine area.

225/45 will give me 101.25mm of sidewall <optimal 2 me>
215/45 will give me 96.75mm of sidewall <ok too>
235/40 will give me 94 mm of sidewall <ok>
225/40 will give me 90 mm of sidewall <too thin also>
215/40 will give me 86 mm of sidewall <too thin>

Personally, I feel the ride on a 225/40 (or maybe it's just the crappy tire I use) is too sensitive when I hit the bumps. 235/40 with a stock setup might be better.

But, will 4mm of sidewall really help that much in terms of sensitivity of bump absorption? If 2.5cm = 1in, then 0.4cm = 4mm = 0.16in ? It doesn't sound like it will.

The 225/45 setup would get me closer to stock. I assume stock is 205/50 or 215/50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
had 225/40 before but went up to 235/40 cuz i was bending too many rims. Right now i only have the 235/40 in the rear because my front tires are still fairly new. I have only rubbed once on the freeway going about 100 and hit a bump. But i have not had people in the back yet, so maybe it will rub with some passengers. The ride feels smoother and more sure footed with the 235/40 imo. BTW im in the the downtown LA area but in the 626 on weekends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Legend95 said:
had 225/40 before but went up to 235/40 cuz i was bending too many rims. Right now i only have the 235/40 in the rear because my front tires are still fairly new. I have only rubbed once on the freeway going about 100 and hit a bump. But i have not had people in the back yet, so maybe it will rub with some passengers. The ride feels smoother and more sure footed with the 235/40 imo. BTW im in the the downtown LA area but in the 626 on weekends.
Maybe a higher profile would help a little bit, maybe 45 series. Sounds like you have some crappy roads in your area if you have bent a lot of rims. Or maybe slowing down over those big speed bumps or grand canyon sized potholes would be good. ;) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Legend95 said:
had 225/40 before but went up to 235/40 cuz i was bending too many rims. Right now i only have the 235/40 in the rear because my front tires are still fairly new.
I don't quite understand what you mean. Why does it make a difference that the front tires are new? It sounds like you have different sizes for the front and rear? If so, what size do you use in the front and how did the rears end up being a different size?

I have only rubbed once on the freeway going about 100 and hit a bump. But i have not had people in the back yet, so maybe it will rub with some passengers. The ride feels smoother and more sure footed with the 235/40 imo. BTW im in the the downtown LA area but in the 626 on weekends. [/B]
Did it rip the inside wheel well to shreds or just a few tire scratches on the black plastic? Where abouts in the 626 area code? It's quite a big area code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
the front tires were new so i was just going to wait till they wore out to change to 235/40. It would be a waste if i changed them rite now. oh yea the fronts are still 225/40. When the rears scraped it didnt damage anything but just kinda rubbed off a little of the tire. And i live in san marino (626).
 
G

·
infinite said:


225/40/18s may work better.
Why because the rim is wider? I wanted to get the 215/40 instead of the 225/40 cause I figured it was smaller so it would fit better w/o rubbing..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:


Why because the rim is wider? I wanted to get the 215/40 instead of the 225/40 cause I figured it was smaller so it would fit better w/o rubbing..
Yeah, wider rim. With a +45 offset you shouldn't really have to worry about rubbing.
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
infinite said:


Yeah, wider rim. With a +45 offset you shouldn't really have to worry about rubbing.
This is only true depending on your camber. As I am the perfect example of a 17X7 with a +46mm offset running 225/45/17 with a 0 degree and negetive .5 degree camber and I rub my plastic fender liner at times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ChrisK said:


This is only true depending on your camber. As I am the perfect example of a 17X7 with a +46mm offset running 225/45/17 with a 0 degree and negetive .5 degree camber and I rub my plastic fender liner at times.
Let's assume that I get the exact same offset and width and tire size as you. Assuming that I have a 0 degree on both accounts, would that still rub? But, I thought you were lowered, so that makes more sense. I, on the other hand am still at stock height.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top