Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
To each their own. I have had the WR Intake on my car for over a year with no problems. I just installed the CAB last weekend and other than some minor fitement issues ( had to remove the stock mounting brackets) it works great. The IS300 guys have it good because there are so many aftermarket parts for their cars. It would be nice to snobbishly exclude an entire brand beacuse people think it is "ricey." If it works good and you have no problems I see no reason to second guess one of the few manufactures still interested in our car.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
That is what happens when people simply repeat what they hear on the internet. They say foam filters suck bcause they fall apart and get sucked into the engine? While I've heard a few stories about the Dragon filter when it was first released, I have no absolute knowledge if it, as I have never personally seen anyone have one fail. Also, many of us, probably the majority of us Legend owners use a Weapon-R intake with foam filter for many years now, and not one failure has resulted. I figure the 230HP 3.2 V6 Legend engine should produce more air suction power than the other 4 cylinder cars, so if we are not sucking any material in and ruining our engines, I fell most people are not either. By the way, they praise the HKS filters, but I've read on the internat of people injesting HKS filter elements as well. Again, I have no absolute knowledge, but it possible shows that every company may have some problems with their products at times. No one is immune.

Now some of those people called the poor guy a stupid kid for backing WR, but then go on to say "Weapon-R still sucks becaue most people think they suck." Now that too me shows the maturity level of some of those posters. Like one person said, who hard is it to make a 3: alumiunum pipe? But somehow Weapn-R's 3" aluminum pipes are made of poor quality? I don't think so. Without the sticker, most people wouldn't be able to tell the differnce between one or the other.

As far as the ECU. I have no comment on that part, as it is still a pretty new product from Weapon-R. It still needs to have a couple of years on the real world before anyone can pass judgment pro or con. ECU tuning is not easy, so in a yaer or two we should know how well the Weapon-R ECU is tuned.

If your friend is really instested in purchasing the Weapon-R ECU for his Lexus, he should try and contact the people that have them directly for their advice and opinion.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, I was kinda shocked by all the negativity about Weapon-R. After all, I knew that a lot of Legend owners on here have the Weapon R and I've never heard anything bad at all. On the contrary, it seems that most are very satisfied with their intakes and the fact that Weapon-R continues to manufacture products for the Legend. I'll let my buddy read your responses and show him that Weapon-R is on the IS300 hit list for reasons other than product reliability and customer satisfaction...at least from the Legend viewpoint. Thanks!

Shad

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Well, to be honest, I know a few people here were not 100% satisfied with the Weapon-R adjustable sleeved coils, but they seem to be comparable to all the brands in that price range. You can't expect it to be as smooth and good as the Tein coils overs and such. It's mostly due to Legend owners wanting a better ride quality I think, and most sleeved type coils can't offer that.

Another reason why I hear people on other forums talking bad about Weapon-R products is because of the vast number of accessory products they offer. I personally don't agree, but people have compared them to APC for making so called "Rice" products like shifters, oil caps, dipsticks, batterty tie down strasps, and all those other accessory parts that offer nothing but cosmetics. To these people, only "Race" parts that actually make HP are legit parts to add to a car. Anything that does not offer more speed is all for show and considered rice to these people. Again, I don't agree with that. You'll find most people on the HA-net, Club Si and those types of forums saying those negetive things.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. For what they charge, Weapon R delivers a decent product. My cold air box needs some tweaking (haven't got around to it yet), but compared to the cost a local custom shop quoted me ($500). Well you get the message.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I posted in another part of hte forum on what I thought of Weapon R... and I know I'll catch hell for this, but here's my OPINION... only an opinion:

I think W-R is a very dynamic company that responds with direct market support for alot of different platforms... that's really special to me because it means that they listen... but, here are some other problems that I have...

The dragon filter: I dont' like foam... never have, never will... I like the K&N style better... that's just me

The cold air box: This one's great... a good idea... I have yet to see one up close, but I'd like to

The coilovers: I'd rather have GC's bceaues if the locking perch... that's just me...

Fuel Regulators: These leak... seen it happen on 3 different Accords and 4 Civics (not to mention a recall on the item...)

But, Weapon R is a company that caters to many people, mostly Honda... so I can't slam htem when 50-70% of the Honda's out there have some type of W-R commodity on them... just not my Legend. I just don't like the build quality, because too many things on my friends cars have either broken or messed up form Weapon R, and these are not people to blatently abuse their cars either (like us Legend Folk..we take care of our stuff) Again, only my opinion...

·
Registered
49 Posts
well, against the voice of the many that I have heard the negative comments, I purchased my WR and have enjoyed it ever since...NOW, WR_LEO, you could tell your people that their instructions couild be a little clearer.....the names of the parts that were being asked to be reomved were not so clear at times, and also confusing....I mean, I am intellgent, so I was able to figure out what they were saying, but other people that don't know or understand anything on their engine other than a dipstick may be faced with some real challenges....in other words, I guess make it so simple, a 12 year old could figure it out.

I rather enjoyed installing mine.....Thanks again for supporting the LEgend Community!

·
Registered
55 Posts
thanks for all your comment and suggestions guys..
True we did have some problems with some products in the past, it was not something we are proud of, but i am one of the older guys here that wanted better things for the company, but i was stuck in the intake systems department.. Now i have power to oversee all the product developement and will keep up my duty to you guys to make a quality product at a reasonable price..

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
thanks Leo,
That is appreciated.

Very interested to see where our performance segmnet with you huys will go.....don't forgetthe G1 owners too...they are like the red-headed step children when it comes to aftermarket....clear corners for them are hard to obtain....either JDM or EDm = big $$$

I like what the TL guys have from you guys...hope we get some love too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts