Acura Legend Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1201 - 1220 of 2851 Posts

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
Sweet Jesus Christ. A transmission is supposed to ge hot, and its completely normal. Too hot can be bad but manual transmissions are much harder to overheat and break stuff. Heck my mazda's transmission heat can be felt throught the center console and transmission tunnel just cruising down the interstate.

And yes, the sarcasm was for you. You're in a thread about overheating, posting how your car only overheats when you're driving it beyond its design. You drive a decade-old luxury Coupe for christ's sake, its not a racecar. I got over that whole driving like a jackass thing when I was 18. Your post was similar to someone going into a "Brake problems? Post here" thread and complain how their brakes are fading when panic stopping from 135mph.:nutkick: :nutkick:

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
Dethred said:
Sweet Jesus Christ. A transmission is supposed to ge hot, and its completely normal. Too hot can be bad but manual transmissions are much harder to overheat and break stuff. Heck my mazda's transmission heat can be felt throught the center console and transmission tunnel just cruising down the interstate.

And yes, the sarcasm was for you. You're in a thread about overheating, posting how your car only overheats when you're driving it beyond its design. You drive a decade-old luxury Coupe for christ's sake, its not a racecar. I got over that whole driving like a jackass thing when I was 18. Your post was similar to someone going into a "Brake problems? Post here" thread and complain how their brakes are fading when panic stopping from 135mph.:nutkick: :nutkick:
no not really. i just shared my experince thats all. i can take some sarcasm. but please don't tell me what to do and not to do with my car.

Just to update, i've had no more overheating issues and i've recreated the scenerio again today a few times and no problem,

also if they didn't design it to drive 135mph why would they make it handle so well at that speed? or make the speedo goto 160mph and give it enough power to go to 160mph (i know becuase i've hit 150+ alot of times.) again this is not a thread about how one drives or what our cars can and cannot do. its about overheated. i'm pretty sure that this was a one time thing, however i will still be replacing my hoses (all 22) and trans fluid and will be adding a trans cooler.

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
Alperovich said:
no not really. i just shared my experince thats all. i can take some sarcasm. but please don't tell me what to do and not to do with my car.

Just to update, i've had no more overheating issues and i've recreated the scenerio again today a few times and no problem,

also if they didn't design it to drive 135mph why would they make it handle so well at that speed? or make the speedo goto 160mph and give it enough power to go to 160mph (i know becuase i've hit 150+ alot of times.) again this is not a thread about how one drives or what our cars can and cannot do. its about overheated. i'm pretty sure that this was a one time thing, however i will still be replacing my hoses (all 22) and trans fluid and will be adding a trans cooler.
Please tell me you're being sarcastic about it doing well at 120+mph.:giggle: If not, then think about it long and hard and maybe you can figure out why the car handles well at 135mph. Also, please tell me in what country the legend was sold where it was legal to exceed 100mph?

PS: Get up to 135mph and hit the brakes 100% until you stop, then you come back here, if you're still alive, and tell me the car is capable of safely going that fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JDM motor

I have a 94 Legend (190,000 miles)with many of the BHG symptons in this thread. I have seen reference to JDM motors. Are these motors really that good. With 190,000 miles would you put in another motor in your Legend? How long with normal driving does the transmission normally last? Just curious what others think... Help!!!!!! Any advise out there?

Would you purchase a JDM motor or is the likelyhood of another BHG too great????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Water Wetter Super Coolant

Has anyone ever used this product?? I added it to my 91 L Legend sedan and ever since it's actually overheating much more that before. Im gonna do a radiator flush, but I was wondering if anyone could help me decide if maybe I should go back to just prestone anti-freeze afterwards or maybe try the water wetter one more time but this time with water only instead of mixing it with anti-freeze again or if anyone has any better options other that replacing the head gasket to see if its one of the infamous legend gaskets. Although it's probably the best option I can't afford it right now. any suggestions guys??? help!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Legend overheating

Legend cooling problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a strange problem with my 1993 Legend. It has 71000 miles and I love the car. Recently, however, I have had a problem with the temp guage reading hot and then falling back to normal, back and forth. I have changed the timing belt, the radiator, the water pump and the thermostat twice, but it is still doing the same thing. On occasion, I find coolant on my garage floor and other times not. Yesterday, I drove the car long enough for it to act that way and then parked it. About 30 minutes later, I checked the coolant. First, I felt the top of the radiator and it was cool. I removed the radiator cap and put in about a cup of coolant, which filled it to the top.. I then touched the top of the radiator again and it was too hot to touch. There is no coolant leaking from the car at this time that I can see. When the guage shows hot, it doesn't appear to really be overly hot. I've had a pressure test done and it doesn't reveal a leak, but I find coolant in the trough around the top of the radiator. I've been told that this could be a blown head gasket. I also hear what sounds like valve noise when driving at highway speeds. Hope someone has experienced this and can offer some advice. Thanks.
Neal

·
Registered
21 Posts
OVERHEATING!!!

hi all...i am new to this overheating issue on the legend...i did read alot of the previous post & got alot of useful info ,however most of the infomation center around other folks have their temp needle going "up or down" at some point with my car (94 LS, 185K) the temp needle just shot straight to "H"!!! yesterday i drove less than 2 miles next thing i notice was the needle pointing past the "red" so i pull over right away open the radiator the level was fine so i add some coolant to it then start the car again the needle was still on "H"...so i turn around, drove home park the car.i log on to this forum & read alot of the thread on this topic (boy i did not realize that so many people were having similar issues with therr legend overheating)..anyway after reading i try what most others did ..bleed the system ,start the car, turn the heat on watch the needle but my car was still going straight to hot after it's warmup..now i did notice smoke comming from the muffler & base on what i have read it could be BHG.just to mention i did change the water pump & radiator, thermostat 9 months ago the car was not overheating at that time the waterpumps was only leaking but the mechanic suggested i change the radiator & thermo also...so i am guessing that with this smoke that it could be the BHG which is only noticable when the car is idle .....any other suggestion????.....just by reading i am learning alot ..thanks everyone

·
Registered
3 Posts
On monday I started doing my Head Gaskets, turns out cyliner # 3 and #6 where the ones responsible. Its now thurs and i have one head on and i'm cleaning inside my intake manifold, you should see how dirty its in there. Keep in mind that i work fulltime and that I work on my car after work. Ive also replaced alot of parts/gaskets and I got the heads back from the machine shop yesterday. Pictures will be up as soon as i am done. All you Legend owners will be proud!!!! oh by the way, mine's a 91 Legend 3.2 coupe L. 128k miles auto trans but real clean.

·
MAD DOG!
1,662 Posts
I replaced my head gasket about two years ago.... couple months after that i changed my water pump and radiator and all the belts... my problem is that while idling for a minute or two my temp gauge go almost to the red line then when i get going again or if i put it on N and rev the engine it goes back to normal running temp... this has only happened for two days or so.. doesnt have the same symptoms as when i had my first BHG cuz it does go back to normal after i get going. any suggestions to what is wrong?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fixed, both fans work!

91LgndSdn said:
Ahhh, then it's the radiator fan that is kicking in when the A/C is turned on, and the condenser fan never does turn on. could be a problem with the AC system then, you think? CTS??? coolant temperature sensor? Hmmm, maybe I'll take a look at that too. tks :patriot:
Got a replacement Fan timer unit module in today and swapped out my old one. Both fans work!!! Now the A/C is actually colder, I guess since both fans are now operating. Not a hard fix, it was fairly easy to get to, under the passenger side kick panel.:patriot: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cole Austin said:
My coolant level was completely full, and just like before I have once again gotten air in my cooling system. I have never found a leak outside the car. Looks like I'm going take the car to get tested for a BHG. I'm just confused b/c I don't have the white smoke or loss of power that normally happens from a BHG...
dude this just happend to me. i finnaly got my car today.
i was driving and looked @ my temp. i redlined to h.my pump spun,timing belt jumped and burned,causing it to bend the valves. get your car fixed or just dont drive now.motor 800- waterpump and all belts 300- labor 900- but it now runs like new

·
Registered
1 Posts
temp problem

so i just bought a 93 from a dealership took for a test drive everything seemd right i had came here and read what u guys said to watch for and everything was fine when i picked it up the following monday a hundred degree day i watched the guage for about 15 min and it was fine so i started to relax 10 mins after that i look at the guage and it's climbing what do u think bhg or thermostat problem

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
Take it back right now. Make them pay for the complete repair. Get eveything in writing.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Dethred said:
If not, then think about it long and hard and maybe you can figure out why the car handles well at 135mph. Also, please tell me in what country the legend was sold where it was legal to exceed 100mph?
Was the Honda Legend not sold in Germany?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thermagasket anyone?

Hi I'm a newbie. Hope I'm using the right method for new post. Got an old 92 Legend L. Bought it cheap at auction (guess why). No coolant in oil, no leaks, but I tested the coolant and get indication of exhaust gas in coolant. It overheats badly within 10 or 15 minutes.

Anyone ever heard of a product called thermagasket? I'm considering trying it because I don't want to dump a bunch of money in a car with a zillion miles that may have other problems. I've already ordered the stuff - it costs about 100 bucks and is said to be a two part carbon-metal compound of some kind. I know, I know, this is not how real mechanics operate, but I figured it might be worth a shot in this case. I think I'm gonna get the radiator cleaned also. Already changed the Tstat, and a visual on the water pump looks okay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another stupid question. I am really confused by the procedure to adjust the timing belt tension on this thing. The book says loosen the bolt to let the tensioner engage, then tighten the bolt. But with the bolt loose, the thing just hangs there, with no tension. I don't get it, it's like it's backwards - the spring pulls the idler away from the belt, not towards it....very strange. Have I got something assembled wrong?

·
Registered
7 Posts
lEGEND RUNS LIKE NEW

Just got back from the Acura dealership in Atlanta. Two new head gaskets and a new radiator and $2200 later, the car runs like new. It was a hard decision to put that much money into a 13 year old car, but it only has 72000 miles on it and we love it. Couldn't buy anything near as nice for anywhere near that little bit of money, so we're hoping to drive it for another 13 years. Anybody else feel that way?
Neal

1201 - 1220 of 2851 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.