Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the increasing price of gas, I can't help but think about getting a more fuel efficient replacement for the sedan. Premium gas here is over $1.30/litre and they are expecting the gas prices to go over $2 by next year. On a good day, I get 100KM/10 Litre (aprox 24mpg) on my Legend. I drive about 35,000KM annually. This means that my annual cost of ownership based on gasoline alone would be atleast $4550 at current gas prices. I have been looking at the Acura 1.7EL as a replacement. 1.7EL is a unique to Canada offering; its basically a civic with leather seats and the engine from an Si that does over 40mpg hwy/city combined. My friend is selling his 1.7EL for $5500, so if I were to sell the Legend+goodies, the net cost to me would be less than $2K and I'd recover the cost in a year in fuel savings. With these numbers, it seems stupid not to downgrade in favour of lower cost of ownership. Keep in mind that as price of gas goes up, the resale value of the Legend would go down further and there would be a higher demand for fuel efficient cars, so now may be the right time to make the move. I hate small cars with a passion, but common sense tells me to do the unthinkable.

Here are a couple pictures of the 1.7EL so you know what I am talking about.

*Not the exact car, but you get an idea.

BTW The coupe stays, no matter how high the gas prices go.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
Yea when you lay out the numbers like that keeping the Legend as your DD doesn't make much sense with the amount of driving you're doing. Would the cost of insurance be prohibitive for you to own them both?

·
Banned
14,938 Posts
ugh a civic. really? its no legend. and it really reminds me of my CL, which IMHO is civic with leather (even if its actually a accord with leather)

let me ask you this? is paying money for a newer car, (thats not gonna be a legend in the long run), gonna be worth paying less in gas?

sure, you still have to maintain a legend, but already have the car and 24mpg is pretty damn good for a v6 if u ask me.

IMHO, its a civic and not worth getting rid of a legend. but thats just me. The thing your gonna hate the most is not unsmooth and crappy its gonna drive. its a civic. The Legend is much more of a pleasure to drive, you know that.

but i digress, you also have a coupe, so maybe it'll be fine. you'll hate it in the long run thou

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know man, I am just as disgusted about the idea of driving a civic. But I am torn between my heart and my mind. The cost of the new car will be recovered in 12-16 months in fuel savings. The insurance cost won't be a huge factor either. For now I am looking at the numbers to justify keeping the Legend as a DD; this year I'll be paying $1500 in additional costs (gasoline only) for keeping the legend, next year will be another $2000, the year after the premium will be $2500 and so on. Even if I keep the Legend, eventually it will be cost prohibitive to own it as a DD due to the rising costs of gasoline and everything else. Sure, I can afford it, but I'm a common sense kinda guy that's why I drive a Legend in the first place and not a 5 Series. Having the mind of an accountant is a curse I tell ya.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
At 20K+ miles a year I would opt for a 4cyl 40mpg DD. Especially since you'll still have the LS coupe to have fun with! I do agree with Alex that there will be some 'driver's remorse' on the ride quality, but then ride quality is not the issue at stake, fuel economy is.

·
difficult to kill
722 Posts
With the increasing price of gas, I can't help but think about getting a more fuel efficient replacement for the sedan.
no no no no wrong strategy my friend. not a replacement, a teammate.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
for less than $2000 you could have a newer, smaller Acura that get you 16 miles farther on a gallon of gas .... when you need service and parts it will be cheaper too ...... no doubt a worthy option to consider.

The CSX and ELs I drove when my car was in for service are nice cars ! Obviously they are in a different class: they are not large heavy V6 performance/luxury machines ..... but they will take you from A to B more economically.

·
I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
I'm with you there. My volvo is pretty good on gas, but the fact it requires premium and the fact that it's not as good on gas as I'd like it to be makes me consider going smaller...

I've been seriously looking into a G2 integra or something similar. I will still be on the hunt for my next KA chassis, but i need something to ease the punch I'm gettin to the face when i stick that nozzle in the filler.

they're expensive as hell now and still going up, which sucks.

·
what!
4,698 Posts
Honda Civic Gas Mileage: 1978-2007

And the Winner is............

the 1994 Civic VX Hatchback. While it's 1.5 liter 4 cylinder engine won't win any dragraces, it makes up for it in the long distance races by getting 47 miles per gallon in the city, 56 miles per gallon on the highway. Kiss my ass Toyota Prius owners.

Code:
Year 	 Manufacturer 	 Model 	 Engine 	 Disp. 	 	Fuel 	 Trans. 	 City 	 Hwy
1994 	 Honda 	 Civic HB VX 	 4 cylinder 	 1.5 liter 	 R 	 (M5) Manual 	 47 	 56

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly, Prius and TDI's are over rated. You can buy a civic thats almost as economical for under 2 grand. I guess the premium prices for these cars are justified by an inflated sense of environmental counciousness or euro-pride. On a side note, does anyone know if Legends can be converted to run on propane?

·
what!
4,698 Posts
Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage
in: Science & Technology News

Through a study by CNW Marketing called "Dust to Dust," the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world how much they care. Unfortunately for them, their ultimate 'green car' is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer.
Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius.

The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76 horsepower, 1.5-liter gas engine found in most cars today and a battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower and a whooping 295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially, the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell you, it takes more energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving. The battery is recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great energy efficient and environmentally sound car, right?

You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates, which netted the Prius an incredible 60 miles per gallon in the city and 51 miles per gallon on the highway. Unfortunately for Toyota, the government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph and acceleration of only 3.3 mph per second. The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a much more realistic rating with highway speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius's EPA down by 25 percent to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.

However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn't be writing this article. It gets much worse.

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius' battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist's nightmare.

"The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside," said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn't end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce 'nickel foam.' From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven't even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius's arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called "Dust to Dust," the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.

One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.

·
Renaissance.
3,096 Posts
Yeah, I've been talking about this for over a year. I've mentioned it before, and no one ever paid attention. With the price of gas going up, yeah, there are a LOT more people listening *lol*. If guys with $30k in engine upgrades are using it, hey, it's good enough for me :thumbsup: Question becomes if it is more cost effective, which will vary dependent upon the price you pay for unleaded and the price you pay for the additive vs. the price you pay for premium.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.