Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I did a search, so don't castrate me but, my symptons are a little different...

So, it's like 3 degrees here in Buffalo and in the morning when I go TRY to start my car...it cranks...cranks...cranks...cranks...starts very sloooowly looks good for a second and then dies...It does this TWICE until i just decide to give the bugger some gas(which i never do and hate doing) and it finally stays on. Theres a burning smell for a couple of seconds and then the rpms stay at around 1600 for a couple seconds then abruptly drops to 1250rpms(usually it goes down smoothly) Any suggestions? Batterys about 10 months old, just did the plugs, tb/wp, o2's. The oils got about anotther 1000 miles before its supposed to be changed, and it drives absolutely fine after i start it up.

Another thing is that i have the RangerJoe CAI sitting in my bumper and am afraid the filter will freeze...does a K&N filter freeze? its practically brand new, i just got it less than a month ago.

:( :( :(

· Registered
1,696 Posts
if it does it again, check your exhaust for smoke, and oil. you might have w warn piston ring on one of the cylinders, letting oil out cause its so bloody cold. colder the ring is, the smaller it gets, the more oil it can let by. i im guessing that its letting oil into the combustion chamber causing the car to, in a way flood.

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Give it GAS

What's wrong with giving it a little gas?

With the weather that cold, everything is slow; the oil is thick, the rubber parts are stiff, and mechanical parts with springs, etc. react slower. You probably NEED to give it a little gas to help it crank and kick in the automatic choke until the engine warms a little. The automatic choke is giving the engine more gas until warm. This is also why the rpm's are high after starting - the engine is COLD. After warming up a little, the rpm's adjust to normal. Not giving a little gas upon starting the engine in very cold weather is also very hard and draining on the battery (crank, crank, crank, crank).

Go ahead.........give her a little gas in the morning, it's like coffee for us humans to get started. :D

:2cool:

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
worn piston ring?!where do i get a compression test? does it affect the drive? it smells like burning rubber or paper when it starts...as opposed to the usual slight gasoline smell...=[...ive only had him for a year, i dont want him to die!

· Registered
167 Posts
Grant said:
if it does it again, check your exhaust for smoke, and oil. you might have w warn piston ring on one of the cylinders, letting oil out cause its so bloody cold. colder the ring is, the smaller it gets, the more oil it can let by. i im guessing that its letting oil into the combustion chamber causing the car to, in a way flood.
Yes... it does sound like low compression in couple cylinders.
My old Celica GTS was like this when later found to be low compression in 2 out of 4 cylinders.
Try lower octane gasoline... like 87. Lower octane gas is easier to combust and will help you to start in the cold weather. Try it, it really help.

Good luck.
-Tat

· Registered
1,696 Posts
dont worry, a worn piston ring wont kill your car, itll just make it use a little bit of oil. basicly with a worn ring, your car just has a lower compression and just doesnt run as good. maybe not anytime soon, but eventually your cars compression can get to low it wont run anymore. then you A rebuild the motor or replace it. youll just have to call around to a few shops and ask who does a compression test, it shouldnt cost more than 30-35 bucks

· FIXER
1,720 Posts
What you described is normal for 3 degrees. You dont have a worn piston ring. Not worn abnormal anyway. It's just cold as hell. You don't need to test anything.The engine sensors adjust the mixture for different temps. The fuel pump may be a little slow due to the cold temps. Don't even consider worn piston rings until you get 200K+ miles unless you have driven the hell out of it. Personally I've never seen a tougher bottom end(pistons, crankshaft and block) than this one. My 92 had 265K on it and didn't "smoke". Most all Legends that smoke, smoke because of leaking valve stem seals. He's fine..........Just COLD......burr

· Registered
1,696 Posts
ill have to disagree, only because he says he smells burning, which would make me think that the car is burning a lil oil on startup. and it cant hurt do have a compression test done, itll tell you if you have a HG prob or a bottom end prob

· FIXER
1,720 Posts
it smells like burning rubber or paper when it starts...as opposed to the usual slight gasoline smell..
Everything in the car gets tight when it gets that cold. I lived in Minneapolis for 6 winters. That kind of cold, like Buffalo causes cars to do weird things when the deep freeze hits. Any moisture at all will freeze in the power steering fluid. This will cause the pump to be locked up for a few seconds at start up, hence the burning smell.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea my baby doesnt even have 90k on it yet...and i dont really drive it hard...thank god im leaving buffalo for good in a week...we'll see how it fairs in the less frigid temps of nyc. thanks for all your help and ill keep u guys updated

btw i was talking to my boss today and he was telling me something about a batterys CCA cold crank amps? whats the correct CCA for our car and has anyone got a juiced up one? any comments about this?

· FIXER
1,720 Posts
Bye Bye Buffalo...in the winter....

Battery- specs say 61 amper hour for 5 hours. I would think you need at least 600 cold cranking amps for cold weather starting. More is better.

· Registered
264 Posts
Puffy said:
yea my baby doesnt even have 90k on it yet...and i dont really drive it hard...thank god im leaving buffalo for good in a week...we'll see how it fairs in the less frigid temps of nyc. thanks for all your help and ill keep u guys updated

btw i was talking to my boss today and he was telling me something about a batterys CCA cold crank amps? whats the correct CCA for our car and has anyone got a juiced up one? any comments about this?
Leaving Buffalo for NYC would make a different?

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ntujyug said:
Leaving Buffalo for NYC would make a different?
Yes, Make big different.
Well the weather calmed down a LITTLE, instead of 4 its been like 20. I let it sit with the power on and I added a little coolant, suggested by Imran, and it starts a little better. I'm glad its not a worn piston. :giggle:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.