Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my poor legend keeps stalling on me! i've gotta keep the rpm's above 1000 or else it stalls. and when it does stall it has a hell of a time starting up again. i talked to a friend of mine and he was thinking maybe a bad o2 sensor or fuel filter. i thought it might be bad plugs and wires but my plugs are fine (albeit in need of replacing because it's about that time for them) but i'm not sure about the wires. anyone have any other ideas? we're gonna take a look at it on wednesday.

oh, and where can i find some good plug wires and a grounding kit (lets just say theres a lot of exposed and poorly done ground wires in my engine bay) for cheap?

· Registered
4,259 Posts
I suggest a full tune up;
distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs/wires, fuel/air filters, pcv valve and pour some fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank on your next fill up.

Replacing both O2 sensors is not a bad idea... check and see if red LED from the ECU under your passenger seat is flashing any code(s); 1flash = front sensor, 2flash = rear sensor.

I buy most of my car parts from AutoZone, eBay is another good source, good luck!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i replaced the plugs and wires. took a good 2 hours and we sacraficed the air cleaner box. friday i'm gonna change the oil, cap and rotor. is it pretty easy to change the fuel filter? how about the o2 sensors? i'll try the injector cleaner next time i fill up.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was gonna change the oil at the very least, but it didn't happen cause it was raining/snowing. i gotta do that and change my fuel filter, run a bottle of injector cleaner through my baby, and spring for a new cap and rotor.

and i mean the air box is sitting a box in my garage. on wednesday(12/28) my friend and i had a hell of a time getting the pulg wires on the cap because of the air box so we just took it out and we never put it back in. i ordered a short ram intake that should be here in the middle of next week.

and if anyone in the sl area wants to help out get on msn and send me a message.

· Registered
349 Posts
my car was stalling at idle due to bad alternator brushes.
hit your alternator with a hammer and see if it stops... then replace your brushes if so.
also could be a vacuum leak... check for one with carb cleaner...
but id do a tuneup first.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got nothing done. the weather killed the plan, and my friend getting the flu. i need a jack (a good one!) and a vessel to put my old oil in. and some help with the fuel filter.

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Well, I got all of that stuff, so if you need to you can come use it at my place.
With the fuel filter, sometimes the fittings are tight, and they recommend new washers, and you have to release the fuel pressure first, which usually means spilling gas. I couldn't get mine off, so I had to take it to the shop.

· Registered
14 Posts
pnoye2 said:
I suggest a full tune up;
distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs/wires, fuel/air filters, pcv valve and pour some fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank on your next fill up.

Replacing both O2 sensors is not a bad idea... check and see if red LED from the ECU under your passenger seat is flashing any code(s); 1flash = front sensor, 2flash = rear sensor.

I buy most of my car parts from AutoZone, eBay is another good source, good luck!
How much does it cost for a full tune up? I dont have any maint records so I dont even know if the timing belt is good. How much does it cost to replace the timing belt? I heard that is a pretty big deal...

· Registered
349 Posts
$700 american is an average price...
probably worth it though...
for the tuneup plugs, rotor, cap, wires, oil+filter, fuel filter, tranny fluid + filter, oxygen sensors... id recommend doing most of that yourself... cheaper :)
and btw... fuel filter wasnt that tough for me... i weigh 120 lbs and didnt need a pry bar... put a little more muscle into it ;)
maytag

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i dropped it off at a shop today, and i'm gonna wait and see how much they want to charge me. if it's too much i'll give you a call telafonic.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we have one problem figured out! although i figured it out from the knowledge of the fine folks of this forum. the tail lights won't come on because of a short in the steering column. the mechanic says he can't get it stall, but i told him to get it driving then it'll die out.

but we have one problem (and $200-$350) down. i'm hoping to get it back in the first part of the week. telafonic (we met at the drive a couple of months ago didn't we?) can we fix it by ourselves?

· Registered
4,259 Posts
yom's legend said:
we have one problem figured out! although i figured it out from the knowledge of the fine folks of this forum. the tail lights won't come on because of a short in the steering column. the mechanic says he can't get it stall, but i told him to get it driving then it'll die out.

but we have one problem (and $200-$350) down. i'm hoping to get it back in the first part of the week. telafonic (we met at the drive a couple of months ago didn't we?) can we fix it by ourselves?
Most of your car problem you've mentioned can be done fairly easy with x'tra helping hands... should just be a weekender job, good luck!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pnoye2 said:
Most of your car problem you've mentioned can be done fairly easy with x'tra helping hands... should just be a weekender job, good luck!
thats why i'm trying to get telafonic (or anyone in utah. come on help my ass out!) to give me a phone number or something so we can get in touch!

· Registered
4,259 Posts
yom's legend said:
thats why i'm trying to get telafonic (or anyone in utah. come on help my ass out!) to give me a phone number or something so we can get in touch!
yom, check your pm...

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
yom's legend said:
Trying? huh? I already offered, I didn't get a PM or anything from you, and I thought you were still waiting on something, like knowing what you are going to fix.
PM or email me with what you need to do, and I'll let you know what I can help you with, and we can swap numbers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.