Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a week or two the shift from 1st to 2nd was becoming more of a clunk rather than smooth . I didn't think too much of it but then 2nd gear just disappeared altogether :(

Didn't make any loud noises or anything just went. Now it's like having another neutral - the engine just free revs when it hits 2nd and there's no drive.

The other 3 gears are OK and it's still just about driveable - I have to force the lever into first to pull away and then change it to 3rd or 4th once I'm moving and keep my foot of the gas..

Spoke to a couple of garages - they say over £1000 minimum ! Anyone seen this before or offer any advice ?

Thanks
Russ.

·
Registered
767 Posts
i garuntee youve chewed your 2nd syncro hub teeth.. if you let the oil drain alittle it will be full of bits of metal.. is it five or six speed.. or is it auto

·
Registered
767 Posts
is that just labour or does it include a gearbox.. cos when you think about it labour is gonna be about 8hrs at between 70 and 95 squids plus gearbox ??.. at least 5-600 pounds labour.. where are you ibro.. f you dont mind me asking :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 4 speed auto. Gearbox from a breakers is £400 so with the labour as well then I think it's curtains for Legend :(

Anyone had any experience with Nissan 200 ?

BTW I'm in Kent.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Your 2 gear clutch pack is gone...most folks in US cannot do a decent or lasting rebuild on these auto trannies, so most opt to buy a used one...I did (same problem), they wanted $2200-$2700 US to rebuild the tranny, but I bought a used low miles tranny imported from Japan 40-60K miles for $550 US and paid an additional $400 US for installation. Runs better than new now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
but I bought a used low miles tranny imported from Japan 40-60K miles for $550 US and paid an additional $400 US for installation. Runs better than new now.
$1000 to replace the trans, that's a great deal. Where did you find the JDM used trans?

Thanks,

·
Registered
767 Posts
hartr said:
It's a 4 speed auto. Gearbox from a breakers is £400 so with the labour as well then I think it's curtains for Legend :(

Anyone had any experience with Nissan 200 ?

BTW I'm in Kent.
lol.. bro i have to fork out from 1000-1500 squids from JEM in hendon to keep my coupe on the road.. they charge 75 an hour.. depends wether i get an import for 500 then istallation labour or go for the bhg repair still not sure tho.. you should see if you can do the install yourself unless, your like me with the roadside for a garage.. if theyre charging 1000 labour tell them their dreamin and go somewhere else.. get a second opinion

..lol i looked at one in kent.. a white coupe on ebay.. it was a piece with a dodgy guy in a dodgy back yard tryin to tell me otherwise to what i could see.. eg nah its got no rust.. no? what about this rust here... that?, thats just a paint bubble, easily fixed... got the better of him but.. lol.. out smarted him.. wasnt hard.. he had a big thug guy sittin at a picnic table, i spoe in case i tried to pull something.. lol

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I bought my used tranny at Pacific Engine Importers in Atlanta. Run by a bunch of Japanese nationals who import engines, trannies, differentials from parted out Japanese domestics of cars sold here too. Most large cities with a lot of imports will likely have something similar...check out the yellow pages...used engines, trannies. I am sure LA, Seattle, Miami, etc. will have dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.