Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is required to do the swap? is it direct bolt in? Also what is the advantage of the JDM engine/tranny over USDM? (I have a 92 LS sedan type I, with 180k mi if this makes any difference) Should I go for this or just do a type II swap?

·
Registered
573 Posts
jdm !

Ahhh the JDM type 2 might have less hp than the USDM type 2 but if you go with the JDM type 1 engine than you get 15 extra hp and the same amount or more torque than a USDM type 1 i beleive so seeing that the legend engine's lack torque then my choice would be a JDM type 1 but then again i dont think i would ever get a JDM engine cause you never really know how many miles and ect. are on the JDM engine or tranny so unless you have a GOOD hook up its kinda hard to tel for sure !

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What if you put type II heads on a JDM? :D

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
The heads are what make the power difference, in theory you'd have a type 2 motor if you have the type 2 heads. There may be some minor differences but not enough to notice.

·
Registered
573 Posts
dethred is right the major differences in the type I vs. type II engines are in the top end of the engine the bottom end is the same for the type I and type II engines and the other differences are the vaccume connections but that requires minor work ... at one point i debated on doing the type II head swap on my type I but i decided not to because i dont want to loose torque and i feel that i dont really need high end power just more low end and with the type II swap i wouldent get that i would loose it ...... thats why i think it would be a good idea to just get a jdm type I engine but again just my opinion !

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
Well, I would find some Type 2 heads/manifold. Do that and get the right ecu with a Bayou chip and you have made up for the 3 ft/lb of torque with almost ten more. If you have the dough, go with a Type 2 head/manifold set up and work with that.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Trust me, 4lbs/tq is not that bad. Do a search....you may feel a difference from the Type I of course, but the Type II is no joke. Besides, that is a lot more work to do...and if you are not mechanically inclined, it is going to cost you...I know alot of folks on here seem to not have that kind of disposable income to do that kind of thing. No insult intended, just want you to weigh your options

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought there were other differences w/ type I & II. Didn't somebody say one has 2 water pump outlets along with other minor changes?

·
Wha*ever ** *akes
2,545 Posts
the torque mainly comes from the block, am i correct on that? if so, why would the engine lose any torque? but if i am incorrect, you wont notice the 3-5ft/lb torque loss. if i wanted to make my legend faster instead of a show car, id definitely do this instead of getting a whole new type II engine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
95legend said:
the torque mainly comes from the block, am i correct on that? if so, why would the engine lose any torque? but if i am incorrect, you wont notice the 3-5ft/lb torque loss. if i wanted to make my legend faster instead of a show car, id definitely do this instead of getting a whole new type II engine.
Dethred, thanks for the link!! Good info there.

95Legend,
I believe the torque /hp trade-off is directly related to the OVERHEAD cam profile (valve timing, duration, and overlap.) The onlyother factor might be the actual SIZE of the valves (but it seems they might be the same as type 1's) Anyway it is all in the heads and strictly has to do with how long and when the valves open and closed. The flow of the intake port also plays a factor in this. Another way to trade HP for torque is to change the amount of backpresseure/ scavenging (size) of your exhaust

Most things you would do to the BOTTOM end of your engine will affect torque/ horsepower together, not oppositely. i.e bigger pistons, higher compression etc...

Here is a good link to learn more:Horsepower vs. Torque

Did you know that in EVERY engine HP = Torque @ 5250 RPM?

·
Banned
3,264 Posts
They don't have type 2 motors. They might have the same block but the internals are different. THe block is also designed for transversal mounting in the engine compartment... The TL motor makes 225hp I believe.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Dethred said:
They don't have type 2 motors. They might have the same block but the internals are different. THe block is also designed for transversal mounting in the engine compartment... The TL motor makes 225hp I believe.
He's talking about the g1 TL (96-98). These have the Legend TypeI engine in them.

The reason they used a typeI is because the TypeII would have more power than the flagship car the RL.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Lenny said:
how come on Acura 3.2 TLs 1996-1998 they left type 1 engine and didnt go with the type 2?
because acura sucks lately. the newer TL are transversly mounted, so the trannys suck. also, george is correct. the RL uses a stroked type I engine. if they put a type II in a TL, they would have a smaller car with a bigger engine than their flagship.
that would not be good marketing.

peace
T

1 - 20 of 22 Posts