Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car just got slammed from the front, some idiot backed up into me at a Kmart & ran (this was while I was inside the store)

Anyways, the bumper has a big cut (yes like a rip) in it where his [email protected]@@ing SUV hit my bumper.

Plus the front grille is bent inwards on the left side & the hood sticks up on the left side

The hood has all kinds of dents in it thanks to my mechanic trying to straighten it out & it still sticks up on the left side.

Is that dangerous ? I mean will it fly off or something ?

@!#@#@!#!$#@%#$%

Anyways my mech says this will mean replacement of the bumper & hood & repainting the whole front end. Is this true ? How much is all this gonna cost ?

Do I have to change the whole bumper or only the cover or what ?

Insurance will cover it minus the 500$ deductible, so that sucks too. I was perfectly ok with my front end & I dont wanna spend 500 bucks and rent a car

Man I could just ...............

Sorry for this long post
Any comments are appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sucks big time man. But I think your best bet would be to go through insurance, 500 is a bargain. For a new bumper and hood alone you're talking 600-800. Then all the painting will run you around 800-1000. Yeah. A grand for the paint. **** Acura 3 stage paint.... So just claim it, pay the 500 and take it to the dealership, if possible. Otherwise you'll be talking big bucks.
Besides that, I'm sorry this happened. Chalk one up for the inconsiderate motherfreakers out there... From one wrecked Legend to another, my heart goes out!:(

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Claim it, unless you have a few thousand to spare. IMHO, you need to take this to a body shop to get fixed and have them do it right. That meas a new hood, a new front bumper cover, maybe some new bumper beam supports, a new hood latch section (it comes as part of that vertical beam), you should probably get new hoot hinges as well. Then you have the labor charges for them to realign, prep and paint. I say you might be looking at $3000+ if done right. When I was rear ended by an SUV and pushed into another SUV, I needed all the parts I listed, plus the rearl bumper cover. Total, I my insurance paid $8,000. Yours will be much less, but keep in mind that the insurance company list a new OEM hood at over $700, new bumper cover at about $500. That is $1200 is new OEM parts just for those two items. You can probably find a used hood cheaper, but if your insurance company is paying for it, you might as well get all new OEM parts.

Also, you should have contacted the store security and police. The police report would have been very helpful to your insuracance company.

·
Registered
744 Posts
vrb747, before reading the post... I looked at your pic and well, I always gawk at legends especially the coupe - but BAM - sounds like the front is all tore up. Cheeseous - yes you should let the insurance handle it - HOWEVER - your history with that insurance company will have a ding on it, but there is little you can do about it.

I belong to USAA and they are very very good (IMHO) but they too will let someone go after so many claims by telling you they have transfered your policy to progressive.

I wish you the best and hope that neither your insurance company or the repair shop give you shotty service!

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just claim it because it sounds like a lot more than $500 for sure. If you take it to a good body shop, chances are to get everything done perfect, it'll cost probably in excess of $1,500 to $2,000. Insurance usually won't raise your rates if it was something unavoidable or where you are not at fault such as a hit and run. Just claim it, take it to a good shop, and you'll be happy in the end to have all brand new parts in the front of your car for $500. There's no way to get what you gotta get done for $500 so insurance is what ya need to go with.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
vrb747 said:
My car just got slammed from the front, some idiot backed up into me at a Kmart & ran (this was while I was inside the store)

Anyways, the bumper has a big cut (yes like a rip) in it where his [email protected]@@ing SUV hit my bumper.

Plus the front grille is bent inwards on the left side & the hood sticks up on the left side

The hood has all kinds of dents in it thanks to my mechanic trying to straighten it out & it still sticks up on the left side.

Is that dangerous ? I mean will it fly off or something ?

@!#@#@!#!$#@%#$%

Anyways my mech says this will mean replacement of the bumper & hood & repainting the whole front end. Is this true ? How much is all this gonna cost ?

Do I have to change the whole bumper or only the cover or what ?

Insurance will cover it minus the 500$ deductible, so that sucks too. I was perfectly ok with my front end & I dont wanna spend 500 bucks and rent a car

Man I could just ...............

Sorry for this long post
Any comments are appreciated

Thanks
The same thing happened to me when someone backed into my CRX (the hood wouldn't open) with his SUV....I didn't talk to my insurance until I dealt with the other guy.

This is what I did:
1) provide a witness (get info)
2) get police report (in CA is it required if there is more than $500 body damage)
3) talk to the guy
4) then talk to his insurance.

Your insurance will not go up...if their insurance accepts liability and pays you out

The other guy had triple A insurance and they paid me immediately.

Hope this helps

;)

g2girl

·
Registered
60 Posts
so if you get into an accident, you tell your insurance that you want oem parts, and they have to get it if you want that? in accident where somewhere rear ended you, because that happened to me and they said they found me a remanufactored bumper, if i told them i wanted oem they woulda payed the amount for it?>

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks g2girl....

Yeah, the thing is tho that the guy ran, I dont even know who it was

I filed a police report & everything but no witnesses

So Im talkjing to my insurance company now. Theyre gonna fix it & hell they better pay for the OEM parts I want. They rip me off anyway (120 bucks a month)

Anyway thanks u all

Take care (of u & ur rides)

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Pacs legend said:
so if you get into an accident, you tell your insurance that you want oem parts, and they have to get it if you want that? in accident where somewhere rear ended you, because that happened to me and they said they found me a remanufactored bumper, if i told them i wanted oem they woulda payed the amount for it?>
Some insurance companies will use OEm parts, while some will try to use aftermarket. If you insist on OEM they have to use OEM, but, some insurance companies will make you pay the difference. My insurace is State Farm which used to use aftermarket parts as much as possible, but at that time they where going through the nation wide lawsuite for that very reason (forcing customers to use aftermarket), so they issued a stop for using any aftermarket part and to only used OEM until the outcome of the lawsuit. Truthfully, I don't remember what the outcome is. Either way, my body shop is a personal friend, so no matter what, I was going to get OEM parts. This is also when I did my 95 coversion. It pays to finds yourself a good body shop and have a good friendship and working relationship with them.

·
Sexy Member
7,377 Posts
I dont know what to say, i just wanna say F*** the MOfos who did it and GOOD LUCK BUDDY
-HASS

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Sorry to hear about your story but I just hope that everything works out in your favor and hopefully your insurance wont go up but if it does, I hope it doesnt go up too much.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Many years ago in a Legend no longer with us I had Gieco and I noticed something quite odd. When I was rear ended, Gieco stepped up to the plate and handled everything and ensured I received OEM parts. Now it came time for me to return the favor and rear end someone and Gieco tried to replace my stuff with parts from junk yards. They are even connected to a system similar to car-parts.com. All these parts arrived all mix-matched and different colors - I was like HELL NO. Cheesous did we go round and round until I got my way. That experience caused me to switch.

KNLNGUS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts